It looks like 2021 will be the last year for the EOS M lineup [CR2]

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
A good friend in high school became a professional photographer in my hometown, starting in the era when weddings there were as described. I would assume the bulk of his business was wedding photography back then. We are friends on Facebook, but I haven't talked with him since I graduated. He was in the class after mine, so I don't see him at reunions. I just checked his web site, and it looks good. It says:
I have been photographing Weddings, Events, Headshots, Real Estate, Senior and Family Portraits across both Carolinas and beyond for over 40 years.

The professional photographer I know best now does mostly college sports and does a great job. He said last spring he lost $50k in income when sports shut down for the rest of the semester.

Upvote 0
OK.

It seems we have drifted some ways away from the original post, which was a (somewhat unsubstantiated) RUMOR. Around this we have gotten some facts, some speculation, and some more rumors. If this is just clickbait it has certainly served its purpose extremely well.

Canon is the 45.4 % gorilla in the camera market place. They are 6.6 percentage points ahead of Sony and Nikon's combined share. It was not specified whether the statistic represented revenue or unit sales. The EOS M system is by far the world's best selling ILC system, starting from scratch 8 1/2 years ago. Speculations about Canon's original plan with the system are likely highly irrelevant today. In the US the M bodies are priced somewhat upmarket, particularly compared with the Rebel cameras. In other parts of the world simpler bodies with lower specs are probably sold cheaper.

Given the above we can safely assume that Canon makes (good) money off the M system. And thus the system is NOT LIKELY to go away anytime soon.

Upvote 0