It looks like firmware v1.2.0 for the Canon EOS R will be released on April 18, 2019

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Just don't install it then.
This is unrealistic. For computing devices it exposes too many security risks for example, if you say no to Windows feature updates, after a time, while the OS is supported, you won't get any updates at all) . For cameras, if you say no updates, you give up things like future lens compatibility.

Personally, I'm fine with canon's ultraconservative firmware updates. I treat my camera more like a tool or appliance, and in these cases, I want the devices to work on day 1 reliably, and stay working that way.

Upvote 0
I just picked up the R last weekend and traded in my 5DIII for it. I take photos as a hobby. I'm not anything close to a professional, so I would love to see them continue to upgrade the autofocus and other features that help me take better photographs. Anything that helps improve the ratio of "keepers" to "throw-aways." Sony just released firmware for the A7III and A7RIII that improves their eye autofocus even more, to include dogs and cats. I get that Canon is conservative, but I'd love to see more innovation. The argument of professional need versus consumer want is pretty much moot. I'm not sure that Canon's gross sales figures care about the difference between professional and amateur dollars. If it improves the cameras and sells, they should consider it. Sony has sold a lot of feature ponies...

Why would you rather have Canon change how they do business instead of just... buying the Sony?

Upvote 0
Why would you rather have Canon change how they do business instead of just... buying the Sony?

I have a couple of significant reasons.

1. The ecosystem: I already own a fair amount of expensive Canon glass, a couple flashes, and the canon flash trigger.
  2. Ergonomics: I have large hands and like the way the slightly bigger body feels. The buttons are well-placed. The menu is intuitive and easier to use than the Sony.

Beyond those reasons, I think Canon does a lot of things right. I don't think my wishing for improvement in eye autofocus is asking Canon to change their business practices. They have, in the past, demonstrated innovation and improvement in their products. That's all I'm hoping for in a firmware update. I'm not sure if you were being snarky or asking a legitimate question, but that was my sincere answer. I did look at Sony and if this were a Sony forum I'd be hoping that they improve their ergonomics and menu UI...

Upvote 0

1. The ecosystem: I already own a fair amount of expensive Canon glass, a couple flashes, and the canon flash trigger.
  2. Ergonomics: I have large hands and like the way the slightly bigger body feels. The buttons are well-placed. The menu is intuitive and easier to use than the Sony.
Beyond those reasons, I think Canon does a lot of things right. I don't think my wishing for improvement in eye autofocus is asking Canon to change their business practices. They have, in the past, demonstrated innovation and improvement in their products. That's all I'm hoping for in a firmware update. I'm not sure if you were being snarky or asking a legitimate question, but that was my sincere answer. I did look at Sony and if this were a Sony forum I'd be hoping that they improve their ergonomics and menu UI...

Maybe a little snarky (it gets old to read people constantly saying how much better Sony is but not wanting to actually use them). I will say it's understandable to be frustrated with all the options in a market (no one makes the car I'd really like), but you have to pick from what's available, and no one likes a complainer. Animal Eye AF is clearly not a big enough feature to get you to give up the ecosystem and usability of Canon, and Canon is likely to continue to devote resources to the entree that is those areas rather than the dessert that Sony serves. There are finite development resources at any company, and Canon devotes theirs to different areas than Sony does. You keep buying Canon, which means they're making the right decision.

Upvote 0
One thing that I would like to change about my EOS R is the following: I don't want image previews in the viewfinder, at all! When I put the viewfinder up to my eye, all I want to see is what is at the other end of the lens, not what was at the other end of the lens. Quite often, I will be reviewing something when something interesting happens immediately in front of me, and I want the viewfinder to show me the now! Even a tenth of a second is too long! Can Canon please put that in the next firmware update? At present, the only alternative is to turn the image preview off entirely.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Maybe a little snarky (it gets old to read people constantly saying how much better Sony is but not wanting to actually use them). I will say it's understandable to be frustrated with all the options in a market (no one makes the car I'd really like), but you have to pick from what's available, and no one likes a complainer. Animal Eye AF is clearly not a big enough feature to get you to give up the ecosystem and usability of Canon, and Canon is likely to continue to devote resources to the entree that is those areas rather than the dessert that Sony serves. There are finite development resources at any company, and Canon devotes theirs to different areas than Sony does. You keep buying Canon, which means they're making the right decision.
Exactly. Just look at sales of mirrorless cameras in Japan: the EOS M50 leads the pack, and there is another Canon there, and the RP came in at number 11, even though it had only been on sale for part of the month. They must be doing something right!

Upvote 0

Eye autofocus update available in the latest Firmware update, as of today, (18/4/2019), I believe.

Upvote 0
I just picked up the R last weekend and traded in my 5DIII for it. I take photos as a hobby. I'm not anything close to a professional, so I would love to see them continue to upgrade the autofocus and other features that help me take better photographs. Anything that helps improve the ratio of "keepers" to "throw-aways." Sony just released firmware for the A7III and A7RIII that improves their eye autofocus even more, to include dogs and cats. I get that Canon is conservative, but I'd love to see more innovation. The argument of professional need versus consumer want is pretty much moot. I'm not sure that Canon's gross sales figures care about the difference between professional and amateur dollars. If it improves the cameras and sells, they should consider it. Sony has sold a lot of feature ponies...
I've just bought an EOS R and I find the autofocus exceptional. It just nails the focus point so fast. I'm not sure what the fuss is about, and yes, they have just updated the Firmware. When they released the EOS R, eye autofocus wasn't completely ready, so they left it out. It comes as standard on the EOS RP and they have released Firmware 1.2 to update it in the EOS R. Remember, a lot of features are now possible through the hardware: that means they just need to update the firmware.

Upvote 0
These are not radical features like “apps on my camera!” I am suggesting here. It’s definitely possible to have both neat features and reliability, after all, MANY OF THESE FEATURES ARE ALREADY IN OTHER CANON MODELS.
And they will be released as time goes on. :) The main thing is getting the new mount sorted. Other things will come through Firmware updates.

Upvote 0