I've made a tripod mount for the 600/800 RF lens

Worldskipper

Engineer/Photo hack/Lens Addict
Long time lurker around here (I blame all of you for my RF glass addiction), thought I should join up and share something cool I made.

I got frustrated trying to mount my 'fancy' 600mm lens to a tripod, and I even at times struggle to find a good grip on the lens without twisting the focus ring when I shoot. So I got busy with my CAD software and my 3D printer and made a lightweight tripod mount for it. I make it sound soooo easy...(please don't notice the 27 iterations sitting on my bookshelf). It's not the fanciest thing out there, but it works, it doesn't weigh much and there is no 'canon tax' on it.

It almost defeats the purpose of the concept of a light super-telephoto lens with IS, BUT when you need it, it won't take up much space in the camera bag or weigh it down.
I think I've got a winner here.
Specs:
ABS Plastic (printed as a solid for those who 3D print)
72g (2.5 oz)
Metal Screw knob and keeper pin, with a brass threaded insert (1/4"-20) on the bottom
Base is Arca-Swiss compatible
You can still collapse the lens with it mounted, even with the battery grip installed.

If you are interested in one, I've made a few so others can feel 'cool' without the big white prices
My Etsy store Link

Mods if this isn't the appropriate place to post this, please let me know.

Attachments

• thumbnail_1.jpg
    thumbnail_1.jpg
    509.5 KB · Views: 41
  • thumbnail_2.jpg
    thumbnail_2.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 39
  • thumbnail_3.jpg
    thumbnail_3.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 39
  • thumbnail_4.jpg
    thumbnail_4.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Jul 21, 2010
Upvote 0

ColorBlindBat

CR Pro
Aug 30, 2018
A third option:

I'm using one on my 800mm and have no complaints.

Upvote 0
Long time lurker around here (I blame all of you for my RF glass addiction), thought I should join up and share something cool I made.

I got frustrated trying to mount my 'fancy' 600mm lens to a tripod, and I even at times struggle to find a good grip on the lens without twisting the focus ring when I shoot. So I got busy with my CAD software and my 3D printer and made a lightweight tripod mount for it. I make it sound soooo easy...(please don't notice the 27 iterations sitting on my bookshelf). It's not the fanciest thing out there, but it works, it doesn't weigh much and there is no 'canon tax' on it.

It almost defeats the purpose of the concept of a light super-telephoto lens with IS, BUT when you need it, it won't take up much space in the camera bag or weigh it down.
Specs:
72g (2.5 oz)
Metal Screw knob and keeper pin, with a brass threaded insert (1/4"-20) on the bottom
You can still collapse the lens with it mounted, even with the battery grip installed.

If you are interested in one, I've made a few so others can feel 'cool' without the big white prices
My Etsy store Link

Very cool to make something like that. There are great little lenses for the cost, but they lack a few features like this.

Upvote 0

Specs:
72g (2.5 oz)

My Etsy store Link

Would have loved to grab one from you but tried your Etsy store and it says you're away at present (I sent a message and no reply). Ooh well not to worry :)

Upvote 0

JohnC

CR Pro
Sep 22, 2019
Gainesville,GA
Nice design and great work! I’m in the polymer industry and suggest you consider something a little stronger impact wise than ABS however. It isn’t bad persay but I would be concerned if it got a shock of some sort. Once ABS begins to fail it can fail rather dramatically. Polycarbonate would do the trick and be plenty strong….if you can 3d print it.

Upvote 0