Jolly Ollie Advent Calendar, 2020

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
I'd like to post one photo of my new kitty, Ollie, with a (hopefully) funny caption for each day of this 2020 Advent season (Nov. 29 through Dec. 24) to make a "Jolly Ollie Advent Calendar". For those interested, I hope you like it and you are welcome to comment or post your own interesting photo and caption.

Around June we got Ollie from our friend Lori when he was 6 weeks old. At that time I was using my Olympus EM1_II and lenses to take the initial photos I'll post here. Later I got the Canon R5 and RF lenses which are used for most of the remaining days. All photos are handheld without flash. While I'm just an amateur photographer and no comedian, I'll do my best in hopes of making you laugh (or at least smile a little). ;) All comments/poems are mine, unless credited below.

Jolly Ollie Advent Calendar
Sunday, Nov. 29, 2020

"I like this new scratching post.
I've got my own room with a view !"

11:29-06:06_P6060249_1_98%.jpg

Olympus EM1_II with 12-100mm f4 lens.
100mm, f8, 1/180", ISO 1250

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Beautiful little guy looks like he's got a good personality already. Lost my boy two weeks ago missing him.
He's very loving and playful. We let him outside with supervision, and now he goes out on his own. He plays with all the neighbors and their pets, too.

I'm very sorry to hear that you lost your cat. We lost our most loving cat a while ago and it was a very upsetting time for us. Maybe you can find a kitten (or another cat) to raise, as it might help fill that void hopefully (as it did for us).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
:ROFLMAO: Very funny. Nice shot!
Thanks, Click. I'll have everyone know that no cats were ever harmed (or tasted whiskey) for this shot. He just happened to be sleeping deeply like that and we thought of the possible photo, and went and got an empty Jameson bottle and tucked it gently under his paw - he didn't even notice that. You never know when you'll get a chance for a funny photo!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi.
We have a cat that goes comatose when he sleeps. We can lift his legs and check him over, roll him over, pick him up, but woe betide you if he wakes up mid checkup, he has very sharp teeth!

Cheers, Graham.

Thanks, Click. I'll have everyone know that no cats were ever harmed (or tasted whisky) for this shot. He just happened to be sleeping deeply like that and we thought of the possible photo, and went and got an empty Jameson bottle and tucked it under his paw - he didn't even notice that. You never know when you'll get a chance for a funny photo!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Hi.
We have a cat that goes comatose when he sleeps. We can lift his legs and check him over, roll him over, pick him up, but woe betide you if he wakes up mid checkup, he has very sharp teeth!

Cheers, Graham.
Our Ollie doesn't sleep that deep. But he's playful, and I try to be playful back to him - One time he was sleeping and I put my arms around him and my head against him real quick to give him a big hug, and he jolted awake and bit into my arm hard, and then realized it was me and let go. I learned my lesson and never did that again! ;)

Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
He's very loving and playful. We let him outside with supervision, and now he goes out on his own. He plays with all the neighbors and their pets, too.

I'm very sorry to hear that you lost your cat. We lost our most loving cat a while ago and it was a very upsetting time for us. Maybe you can find a kitten (or another cat) to raise, as it might help fill that void hopefully (as it did for us).
Thanks we absolutely will but it will take a while, my wife has a thing about cats finding her rather than the other way round and it's been a little spookily true so far. Anyway we are both loving your photos of Ollie please don't stop!

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Thanks we absolutely will but it will take a while, my wife has a thing about cats finding her rather than the other way round and it's been a little spookily true so far. Anyway we are both loving your photos of Ollie please don't stop!
Thanks, Zim, for your kind words - it's nice to hear. I've taken so many pictures of Ollie with both cameras, and the technology in them (especially the new Canon R5 & lenses) is so amazing that it can make it pretty easy to take good ones (well, as long as you have a bit of a feel for what makes something interesting while framing). The calendar idea means I have to make a funny (if possible) saying so that makes it a lot harder (soon I'll probably run out of funny sayings as many photos are of him in trees).

Having "cats find us" was actually true with Ollie, as our friend Lori happened to have a cat that just had a litter around the time we lost our very loving cat. She noticed Ollie was the most loving of the litter and kept him for us, hoping we'd take him and ease our pain. We did, and it did! I hope something similar like that might bring the right kitty to you both. :)

• Love
Upvote 0