Leaked: Speedlight 470EX AI Autobounce

magarity

CR Pro
Feb 14, 2017
Talys said:
ScottyP said:
What is “auto bounce”?

360 degree sensors evaluate the room and the subject, then a motorized head automatically rotates the flash to likely best exposure, based on your selection of 5 steps between "dramatic" and "symmetrical" 8)

Ok, well, here's wishin'
All with no camera shake due to inertial damping fields. Antimatter power cell not included.

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
Chaitanya said:
No RT? Thats odd.

It is possible that Canon no longer feels the need to add "RT" to the name and now just includes it as a standard, but that's assuming a lot on my part. I just can't really imagine a new flash without RT, especially considering the (relatively) low price of the 430EX-RT, so I'm not sure how this makes sense. I guess Canon could be releasing a very cheap flash to compete with Chinese knockoffs, but those have RT, so why not?

Interested to see what this "autobounce" is, but guess it could be that it detects the distance to the bouncing surface and adjusts based on that. Highly doubt the flash head moves on its own power, since that would suck batteries like no tomorrow.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
H. Jones said:
Chaitanya said:
No RT? Thats odd.

It is possible that Canon no longer feels the need to add "RT" to the name and now just includes it as a standard, but that's assuming a lot on my part. I just can't really imagine a new flash without RT, especially considering the (relatively) low price of the 430EX-RT, so I'm not sure how this makes sense. I guess Canon could be releasing a very cheap flash to compete with Chinese knockoffs, but those have RT, so why not?

Interested to see what this "autobounce" is, but guess it could be that it detects the distance to the bouncing surface and adjusts based on that. Highly doubt the flash head moves on its own power, since that would suck batteries like no tomorrow.

Yeah, I was being totally facetious, obviously :)

It would be helpful if the flash could link:

1. Angle of camera and distance to subject
2. Angle of flash and distance to bounce surface

To calculate, based on some assumptions, like a ceiling parallel to the floor:

3. If the flash is not at the right angle for good coverage
4. Power level of the flash based on exposure settings

That would be pretty cool.

magarity said:
Talys said:
ScottyP said:
What is “auto bounce”?

360 degree sensors evaluate the room and the subject, then a motorized head automatically rotates the flash to likely best exposure, based on your selection of 5 steps between "dramatic" and "symmetrical" 8)

Ok, well, here's wishin'
All with no camera shake due to inertial damping fields. Antimatter power cell not included.

The antimatter power cell also powers the interal antigrav unit, linked to the gyroscopic compensators in order give you a gimbal-without-a-gimbal. It also doubles as a personal floatation device when your airplane falls out of the sky. Innovation!

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
H. Jones said:
Chaitanya said:
No RT? Thats odd.

Canon has been quite explicit to mention RT when it came to their speedlights(even macro lights have RT branding). So its highly unlikely canon will drop RT branding on their lights. With 600ex-RT and 430ex-RT you can buy non radio capable lights at lower prices, as I have bought 430ex III which is non RT version.

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
CanonFanBoy said:
No RT needed. The Speedlite and the soon to be announced firmware update allow photographer, camera, and flash to all communicate telepathically.

I'm more scared one day flashes will have a SIM and will connect to your camera only through a Canon cloud server... for which you'll have to pay a subscription fee....

Upvote 0
LDS said:
CanonFanBoy said:
No RT needed. The Speedlite and the soon to be announced firmware update allow photographer, camera, and flash to all communicate telepathically.

I'm more scared one day flashes will have a SIM and will connect to your camera only through a Canon cloud server... for which you'll have to pay a subscription fee....

Yea, probably. But that’s okay because the subscription will cost less than buying a new flash every year.

Upvote 0
Jim Saunders said:
Some kind of automatic colour matching? I'd consider evolving my collection for that.

Jim
Now there’s a concept. A flash with adjustable white balance. If it could do up to full stop cto, ctb, and ctg, that might be enough for me to consider one, even though I normally consider Canon flashes overpriced.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
IglooEater said:
Jim Saunders said:
Some kind of automatic colour matching? I'd consider evolving my collection for that.

Jim
Now there’s a concept. A flash with adjustable white balance. If it could do up to full stop cto, ctb, and ctg, that might be enough for me to consider one, even though I normally consider Canon flashes overpriced.

I want the flip-down diffuser to be replaceable with gels. Quarter cut CTO is the one I'd keep on there most of the time.

Upvote 0
Talys said:
IglooEater said:
Jim Saunders said:

Jim

I want the flip-down diffuser to be replaceable with gels. Quarter cut CTO is the one I'd keep on there most of the time.

Yes! That would be better than the nothing we have currently, and decently easy to implement. (And more likely than the variable WB I talked about. )

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
IglooEater said:
LDS said:
CanonFanBoy said:

Yea, probably. But that’s okay because the subscription will cost less than buying a new flash every year.
In these cases the photographer will have to be firmware upgraded too ;D

Upvote 0