Leaked: Speedlight 470EX AI Autobounce

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
tron said:
IglooEater said:
LDS said:
CanonFanBoy said:
No RT needed. The Speedlite and the soon to be announced firmware update allow photographer, camera, and flash to all communicate telepathically.

I'm more scared one day flashes will have a SIM and will connect to your camera only through a Canon cloud server... for which you'll have to pay a subscription fee....

Yea, probably. But that’s okay because the subscription will cost less than buying a new flash every year.
In these cases the photographer will have to be firmware upgraded too ;D
Which on second thought can happen easily if a robot is used as a photographer! :D
After all an AI flash deserves an AI entity behind it ;D

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
Talys said:
H. Jones said:
Chaitanya said:
No RT? Thats odd.

It is possible that Canon no longer feels the need to add "RT" to the name and now just includes it as a standard, but that's assuming a lot on my part. I just can't really imagine a new flash without RT, especially considering the (relatively) low price of the 430EX-RT, so I'm not sure how this makes sense. I guess Canon could be releasing a very cheap flash to compete with Chinese knockoffs, but those have RT, so why not?

Really? That would be totally worthless without a wormhole finder. Seriously deficient.

(joking)

Interested to see what this "autobounce" is, but guess it could be that it detects the distance to the bouncing surface and adjusts based on that. Highly doubt the flash head moves on its own power, since that would suck batteries like no tomorrow.

Yeah, I was being totally facetious, obviously :)

It would be helpful if the flash could link:

1. Angle of camera and distance to subject
2. Angle of flash and distance to bounce surface

To calculate, based on some assumptions, like a ceiling parallel to the floor:

3. If the flash is not at the right angle for good coverage
4. Power level of the flash based on exposure settings

That would be pretty cool.

magarity said:
Talys said:
ScottyP said:
What is “auto bounce”?

360 degree sensors evaluate the room and the subject, then a motorized head automatically rotates the flash to likely best exposure, based on your selection of 5 steps between "dramatic" and "symmetrical" 8)

Ok, well, here's wishin'
All with no camera shake due to inertial damping fields. Antimatter power cell not included.

The antimatter power cell also powers the interal antigrav unit, linked to the gyroscopic compensators in order give you a gimbal-without-a-gimbal. It also doubles as a personal floatation device when your airplane falls out of the sky. Innovation!

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
tron said:
tron said:
IglooEater said:
LDS said:
CanonFanBoy said:
No RT needed. The Speedlite and the soon to be announced firmware update allow photographer, camera, and flash to all communicate telepathically.

I'm more scared one day flashes will have a SIM and will connect to your camera only through a Canon cloud server... for which you'll have to pay a subscription fee....

Yea, probably. But that’s okay because the subscription will cost less than buying a new flash every year.
Which on second thought can happen easily if a robot is used as a photographer! :D

My wife is a blond that dyes her hair nearly black. I've got AI covered.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
CanonFanBoy said:
tron said:
tron said:
IglooEater said:
LDS said:
CanonFanBoy said:

Amazing! Usually it's the other way around ;D

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
tron said:
CanonFanBoy said:

Hair is no different than cameras. The grass is always greener on the other side!

I find it funny how women with curly hair work to straighten it, while women with straight hair work to give themselves curls. :)

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
I recently saw it demonstrated.

there is NO radio function. This is not a pro-level flash. It's designed for advanced amateurs who are learning to use bounce flash.

Motorized tilt and swivel

Point at subject and activate function. Shoots direct, tilts up and shoots, tilts backwards and shoots. Calculates best bounce angle option.

if you switch from landscape to portrait it can reposition automatically to use same flash angle.

it's a pretty cool gimmick and will likely enthuse many budding Canon users and could even satisfy some pro types looking for an easy solution at times.

You can also select a manual bounce position and it will auto rotate to re-aim the head if you change camera orientation.

Canon innovation.
Do we really need it?
(no)
Will people buy it?
(hell ya)

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Talys said:
tron said:
CanonFanBoy said:

Hair is no different than cameras. The grass is always greener on the other side!

I find it funny how women with curly hair work to straighten it, while women with straight hair work to give themselves curls. :)

Yeah. Or get rid of the curlies altogether. :eek: Sold all my Canon flash on the bay. Switched over to all Flashpoint now and have just about enough left over for the new EF 85mm... mirror box clipping or not. Yup, the grass is always greener. :) I'll keep my sweet wife. The grass will never be greener anywhere else. I got very lucky.

Upvote 0