Lens Announcement Coming in February? [CR1]

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
tron said:
hbolte said:
I think this latest rumor must bring the 100-400 replacement rumor count to over a hundred! I cannot imagine them not announcing it at CP+ if it's coming. I hope it is!
Rumor has it that is is coming and it will be presented by Bigfoot itself ;D ;D ;D
I hope not! All pictures involving Bigfoot are very blurry... :)

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
Haydn1971 said:
It's also about time we had a Canon 1.4x and 2.0x extender that retained AF past f5.6/8.0 - I'm sure it's a marketing ploy rather than technical

LOL.

Haydn1971, meet optical physics. Optical physics, meet Haydn1971. It's clear the two don't know each other. ;)

The f/number is a ratio of focal length to the diameter of the iris diaphragm. Putting the TC behind the lens increases the focal length, but doesn't change the physical aperture inside the lens.

A 400mm f/5.6 lens has a 71.4mm physical aperture: 400mm/71.4mm = 5.6. If you put a 1.4x TC behind it, you multiply the focal length by 1.4x, to 560mm. Therefore, you now have a 560mm/71.4mm = f/7.84 (call it f/8) lens. If your camera supports AF at only f/5.6, AF won't work.

A 200mm f/2 lens has a 100mm physical aperture: 200mm/100mm = 2. If you put a 2x TC behind it, you multiply the focal length by 2x, to 400mm. Therefore, you now have a 400mm/100mm = f/4 lens.

It's both. The Kenko DGX with full spoofing allows for perfectly fine f/8 AF with the 70-300L on a 5D3 even without the f/8 AF firmware. The Canon 1.4x III+70-300L would surely allow for good AF too on a 5D3 but they lock that combo out and force you to buy a Kenko. That said some of it is real too for sure.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
LetTheRightLensIn said:
The Canon 1.4x III+70-300L would surely allow for good AF too on a 5D3 but they lock that combo out and force you to buy a Kenko. That said some of it is real too for sure.

One thing that's real is you can't physically mount the Canon 1.4x behind the 70-300L unless you zoom the lens out longer than ~250mm, then if you zoom in you'll smack the rear element into the front of the TC. I'd put that in the 'don't try this at home, kids' category.

Also, I think the Kenko combo locks up a 5DIII if you've got AFMA applied, I know it does with the 100L. So, 'perfect AF' that isn't.

Taping three pins on the Canon 1.4x allows AF to function with an f/5.6 lens...but not well. I suspect that's why Canon locks it out in firmware.

Upvote 0
Don Haines said:
tron said:
hbolte said:
I think this latest rumor must bring the 100-400 replacement rumor count to over a hundred! I cannot imagine them not announcing it at CP+ if it's coming. I hope it is!
Rumor has it that is is coming and it will be presented by Bigfoot itself ;D ;D ;D

Mitch Hedberg had an amazing joke about this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMm1YTd8lHM

Upvote 0
MichaelHodges said:
Don Haines said:
tron said:
hbolte said:

Mitch Hedberg had an amazing joke about this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMm1YTd8lHM

Damn... you beat me to it. I too find it scary that "There's a large, out-of-focus monster roaming the countryside."

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
Taping three pins on the Canon 1.4x allows AF to function with an f/5.6 lens...but not well. I suspect that's why Canon locks it out in firmware.

Yup, making more profits by selling faster lenses or the expensive f8 af 5d3 has nothing to do with it :->

nlrela said:
So I suppose the rumor of a new 100-400 has died by now ?

Not at all, the *rumor* hasn't died - but the certainty has grown that Canon is currently skimming the top of the market with expensive big whites while retaining good profits with other older designs.

We'll know for sure at the end of the "year of the lens", but if there aren't replacements for 100-400L, 35L and 50/1.4 any further [CR1] rumors can be considered void.

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012
nlrela said:
So I suppose the rumor of a new 100-400 has died by now ?
Looks like it ... but I just bought my 100-400 L IS about 1 weeks ago ... this is my second 100-400 L IS lens ... the first one was sold in 2012 to fund the 5D MK III+24-70 ... despite its "old age", Canon's 100-400 L IS still packs a punch and not far behind the latest 80-400 VR lens from Nikon (in fact the build quality of Canon's 100-400 L IS is better than the latest from Nikon

Upvote 0