Lens choices for landscapes - too much choice!!

Quirkz

CR Pro
Oct 30, 2014
ahsanford said:
ethanz said:
CanonFanBoy said:
16-35 doesn't work in New Zealand or Burma.

Is it not licensed there or some force field that shuts it off?

I think he forgot to take his lens cap off. #tripruined

- A

Commonly held misconception. As long as you hold the camera and 16-35 upside down, it will work just fine.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
ethanz said:
Oh, I've never been in the southern hemisphere before. Its amazing the things you learn on here. What lenses should I bring if I ever venture down there? Maybe some Sony gear?

It has to be Sony. Only Sony can make a camera that works in the southern hemisphere.

Upvote 0
CanonFanBoy said:
ethanz said:
CanonFanBoy said:

Light spins in the opposite direction down there. The lens is not ambidextrous.

You need reverse CPLs too. They are a bit more expensive, but worth it, otherwise you just get a reverse polarization effect.

If you have trouble finding them, I have some that I am willing to let go for $200 each.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
ejenner said:
CanonFanBoy said:
ethanz said:
CanonFanBoy said:

Light spins in the opposite direction down there. The lens is not ambidextrous.

You need reverse CPLs too. They are a bit more expensive, but worth it, otherwise you just get a reverse polarization effect.

If you have trouble finding them, I have some that I am willing to let go for $200 each.

The focus ring turns the other way too.

Upvote 0
slclick said:
Every lens is a landscape lens.

This....I've used a 1000mm for a few landscapes. So there is no specific "landscape" lens. Just a bunch of lenses that cover various angled of view, ranging from very wide to very long. Choose lenses that cover the focal range that you need, over lapping where necessary and also cover the apertures that you may suit too. In that list I would add a stable tripod with no centre column and a Arca Swiss head plate and matching L bracket for your camera(s). In fact I would say that the latter is probably the most important item.

Upvote 0