Lens Error 60 (RF 85mm F2)

Hi All,

Just recently used my RF 85mm F2 for the third time (on my R5) and all went well on the shoot. Very impressed with the sharpness, AF accuracy and lack of aberrations.

However, when reviewing images on the back of the camera after the shoot, the lens started moving the AF motor by itself (lens cap on, continuous autofocus disabled). It then stopped moving and the camera displayed ‘Lens Error 60 - turn the camera off and on again’. This is the first time it has displayed the error and after restarting the camera it hasn’t done it again.

I wonder what could have caused the error? Has anyone else come across this behaviour with this lens?

At this stage it does seem like a one-off glitch (hopefully). Perhaps I bumped the shutter with a half press while the camera was lens down in my lap? (Unlikely).

Just curious...

Thanks guys and gals :)

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Hi All,

Just recently used my RF 85mm F2 for the third time (on my R5) and all went well on the shoot. Very impressed with the sharpness, AF accuracy and lack of aberrations.

However, when reviewing images on the back of the camera after the shoot, the lens started moving the AF motor by itself (lens cap on, continuous autofocus disabled). It then stopped moving and the camera displayed ‘Lens Error 60 - turn the camera off and on again’. This is the first time it has displayed the error and after restarting the camera it hasn’t done it again.

I wonder what could have caused the error? Has anyone else come across this behaviour with this lens?

At this stage it does seem like a one-off glitch (hopefully). Perhaps I bumped the shutter with a half press while the camera was lens down in my lap? (Unlikely).

Just curious...

Thanks guys and gals :)
Did you set the camera lens side down on a table to review the images? Sometimes I don't have the lens hood on which makes the full weight rest on the extending barrel of the RF85, the lens will start making loud motor noises and the camera will show that error.

Upvote 0
Did you set the camera lens side down on a table to review the images? Sometimes I don't have the lens hood on which makes the full weight rest on the extending barrel of the RF85, the lens will start making loud motor noises and the camera will show that error.

Thanks very much for the reply. I had the camera resting on my lap, so there is a strong possibility I was putting some pressure on the front of the lens. I also have a battery grip, so when I place the camera down on the table with the RF 85 F2 on, the camera leans forwards and rests some weight on the lens. Perhaps I should get the lens hood to help with this? A shame it’s not included.

Upvote 0

HenWin

CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Thanks very much for the reply. I had the camera resting on my lap, so there is a strong possibility I was putting some pressure on the front of the lens. I also have a battery grip, so when I place the camera down on the table with the RF 85 F2 on, the camera leans forwards and rests some weight on the lens. Perhaps I should get the lens hood to help with this? A shame it’s not included.
A lens hood should almost always be on your lens, except perhaps when it's in its bag/case. I rarely shoot without it on any of my 4 lenses.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0