Lenstip reviews Sigma S 500 mm f/5.6 DG DN OS

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Lenstip has reviewed the Sigma S 500 mm f/5.6 DG DN OS. It is optically great, being virtually diffraction limited. What is additionally interesting is that this very careful and reliable site explains how they coped with the problems from a long focal length. I suspect certain other sites are not as careful in their IMATESTs with supertelephotos, explaining why there is sometimes variation in reported values. It's a pity we don't have such a prime for Canon.

Reactions: 1 user
Jul 21, 2010
What is additionally interesting is that this very careful and reliable site explains how they coped with the problems from a long focal length. I suspect certain other sites are not as careful in their IMATESTs with supertelephotos, explaining why there is sometimes variation in reported values.
It’s definitely challenging. The charts I use (same ones used by Bryan/TDP) come in several sizes down to 10x18 cm but all with the same resolution when framed correctly. Those smaller charts are the only reason I can test my 600mm with TCs in my house, where my longest sight line is ~20 m.

Upvote 0