Let’s talk about the Canon EOS R3 [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
The surprise development announcement of the Canon EOS R3 has been quite exciting, but as planned by the marketing folks at Canon, we’ve all been speculating what Canon has in store for the EOS R3.
I have received a bit of vague information about what Canon has planned for the Canon EOS R3.
One of the first questions is whether or not there will be an EOS R1. The answer to that is yes, but don’t be putting money away waiting for it right now. It’s not coming soon. I speculated that we’d get an R1 development announcement ahead of the Tokyo games, but that is the hole that the EOS R3 fits into.
A good source has also told me in very vague terms a couple of things.
The image sensor is all-new from Canon, as we know it’s a stacked backside-illuminated image sensor. Beyond what Canon has told us, I have been told that this camera will have a “resolution trick”. Does that mean it will have pixel-shift or something else? This will not be a 20mp camera like the EOS-1D X Mark III, so...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
I am expecting similar Pixel count to Sony A1 with similar video features to R5 and longer record times thanks to larger body. If there is a new battery type, battery life still wont be as good as A1 but massive improvement over R5.
So You are thinking this camera will get under 80 minutes of recording time? I somehow doubt that.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
Given I shoot a lot of video, I’m not sure what to think of this offering. Canon didn’t go into the video specs at all. And there does not appear to be any microphone holes on the front of the body. All other Canon cameras have these holes. And since we know that iPhones are water resistant to 30’ we can safely assume this has nothing to do with weather sealing.
I’m disappointed this camera will not offer global shutter. That would have been awesome. Granted, it will have a stacked sensor, so readout speed should be acceptable. It’s just something I would have liked to see. I have a Red Komodo arriving on Friday and at this point I’m still struggling with weather I should keep it or sell it. While I like the image, it’s all so close anymore that things like AF, low light... become more relevant.

Upvote 0

Stig Nygaard

EOS R7, Powershot G5 X II & Olympus TG-5
CR Pro
Jul 10, 2013
Copenhagen
www.flickr.com
Probably is a "Sport-Camera" since the Olympics is comming up and Canon usually has something for that.

"Official" Olympic camera is the 1DXIII. Canon cannot rush an extra camera out fast enough because of one year rescheduling of OL.

The next evolution of DPAF, that would not contradict Canon's statement that it will have DPAF, is DPAF but with alternating orientations.

Agree. High megapixel I believe/expect (around 45mp like R5 is my guess). Doesn't sound like we get QuadPixel AF yet (though maybe a DualPixel AF v3).

My guess for announcements/releases still is either

1DxIII: 2020 (Originally scheduled Summer OL year)
R3: 2021-2022 (FIFA WC year)
R1: 2023-2024 (OL year)
R3 II: 2025-2026 (FIFA WC year)

or maybe Canon take the chaotic times (including high level/speed of technology changes and progress) as a opportunity to swap, so R3 are will be the future "olympic" body and R1 bodies aligned with FIFA WC:

R3: 2021 (rescheduled OL - by coincidence :) )
R1: 2022 (WC)
R3 II: 2023-2024 (OL)
R1 II: 2025-2026 (WC)

If it is a 45mp sensor in the R3, it might share sensor with rumored "R5 Cinema"?

And (21mp?) global shutter in R1 sounds like a good guess to me :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
The R3 is starting to sound like a truly legendary camera. I'm convinced this is a minimum of 50 megapixel camera. That suddenly makes more sense for Canon to release a new camera line, one that has more consumer technology and takes more risks before it can go up to the 1D series. I'm very interested to know what kind of marketing data Canon has about what people want and need, but I wouldn't be surprised if the R3 remains higher resolution than the R1 series going forward. The 1-series fits a very specific need, and I'm guessing will go even higher up-market and be more like the $8000 the 1-series used to be.

I would be very excited if the "pixel trick" is the camera able to shoot both high-resolution 50mp 30fps, or do a high-quality 20-ish mp 30 fps raw mode. I have no doubt they will also do pixel-shift, but it would be sweet if the camera could also still function as both a high-res and low-res camera depending on your needs on a shoot.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
This is looking more and more like the R system’s equivalent of the original EOS-3. A just short of flagship technology testbed that brings new capabilities into the fold and allows for hard usage before they are folded into the flagship. If you remember the EOS-3 (great camera, I still have mine), while all the attention was paid to the eye-control autofocus the biggest innovation was the first use of the 45 point AF sensor which found its way into the EOS-1V (last pro film camera) and the first rounds of the EOS-1D and 1Ds. If I remember right it was also the first implementation of a CMOS sensor for the AF module as opposed to a CCD.

I’m really looking forward to the R3, and hope it is not a one-off like the EOS-3 was.

Upvote 0

domo_p1000

EOS-1D X MkIII | EOS-1D X MkII
CR Pro
Aug 22, 2013
Quad-Pixel is what I would believe, high Megapixel not. The R3 looks more like a Sport-Camera.
There is precedent for this to be high Megapixel: the 1DS range were visually identical to the 1D line, but with increased resolution, geared up more for studio work.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
There is precedent for this to be high Megapixel: the 1DS range were visually identical to the 1D line, but with increased resolution, geared up more for studio work.
The 1D and 1DS were not just visually identical but physically identical too, the only differences were internal, same card slots, buttons, menus everything. The EOS 3 and EOS 1V were very different physically internally and externally.

As for differences between the R3 and R1, I think there are some pretty obvious thoughts given precedent.

I’d think one of the differentiating factors would be card slots, I’d think both will have two card slots but the R3 will have two different card types, the R1 a single card type. The R3 will have higher resolution. The R1 will have quad pixel and global shutter. The R1 will have some mysterious but ‘higher’ weather sealing nomenclature. The R1 will have faster fps. The R1 will cost a lot more than the R3. The R1 will have built in GPS. The R3 with have a tilt/swivel screen, I'd expect the R1 to have a fixed screen.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
I think global shutter is fantasy. Half more readout speed than A1 and nobody can see artifacts on practical sport photographing.

Global shutter is about more than that though, you can't just fake it. For example, global shutter allows flash sync at any shutter speed, and could even have far shorter exposures than a mechanical shutter, all the while still with full flash sync. 1/32,000 second exposures with full flash sync could be *wild.*

Global shutter tech also blows away insane output speeds and frame rates, if I remember correctly their last global shutter we know they developed hit 120 FPS raw output.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0