Let’s talk about the Canon EOS R3 [CR2]

Jan 29, 2011
I think global shutter is fantasy. Half more readout speed than A1 and nobody can see artifacts on practical sport photographing.
Call it what ever . Call it global shutter and nobody would never know :p
Why, the global shutter on the C700 is a $2,000 option. Put a $2,000 premium on the R1 over the R3 and you are done. Though I'd expect a lot of smaller refinements to differentiate the two as well.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
Still not impressive ,could be next generation stacked rolling shutter sensor prototype.

As a correction: Canon already has existing 120FPS raw output global shutter tech down to a 3.4um sensor pixel pitch for a smaller industrial sensor, which actually translates to a 84mp full-frame global shutter sensor when scaled up at 3.2um. It also has built-in HDR dual-memory, which allows it to reach 20 stops of dynamic range in a global-shutter design as it images the scene simultaneously in every image and combines both a shadow exposure and a highlight exposure of the frame.

• Wow
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Mar 19, 2021
As a correction: Canon already has existing 120FPS raw output global shutter tech down to a 3.4um sensor pixel pitch for a smaller industrial sensor, which actually translates to a 84mp full-frame global shutter sensor when scaled up at 3.2um. It also has built-in HDR dual-memory, which allows it to reach 20 stops of dynamic range in a global-shutter design as it images the scene simultaneously in every image and combines both a shadow exposure and a highlight exposure of the frame.

Ok maybe there is then global shutter coming ,i dont understand how they can make it but i guess i dont need :p

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

CanonGrunt

C70
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2012
I have a feeling this camera is not focused on video at all. It’ll have some sort of decent video, something standard, but that won’t be its focus. I feel like it’s the stills side of a 1Dx MK III crossed with what we had with the 5DsR.

A lower megapixel sports mode. So like 20mp fast frame rate. And a studio high megapixel mode taking advantage of the full sensor power with two processors.

I feel like. The R1 will be the “do it all” workhorse for stills and video and will come along way later.

My prediction anyway.

The Komodos are nice. I went with a c70 though. Very adaptable for vintage glass.

Given I shoot a lot of video, I’m not sure what to think of this offering. Canon didn’t go into the video specs at all. And there does not appear to be any microphone holes on the front of the body. All other Canon cameras have these holes. And since we know that iPhones are water resistant to 30’ we can safely assume this has nothing to do with weather sealing.
I’m disappointed this camera will not offer global shutter. That would have been awesome. Granted, it will have a stacked sensor, so readout speed should be acceptable. It’s just something I would have liked to see. I have a Red Komodo arriving on Friday and at this point I’m still struggling with weather I should keep it or sell it. While I like the image, it’s all so close anymore that things like AF, low light... become more relevant.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
This all kind of sounds like this kooky rumour about the R1 posted back in March - quad pixel/quad bayer to go from 21 to 85MP with higher burst rate at lower resolution could be that resolution trick? Maybe this was supposed to be an R1 but got transitioned to an R3 to preserve the position of the 1DXIII for a while yet, or to provide more time to adapt the technology to where Canon can confidently call it a flagship camera system.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Fletchahh

7D Mark II
CR Pro
Aug 31, 2020
Pasadena, CA
This all kind of sounds like this kooky rumour about the R1 posted back in March - quad pixel/quad bayer to go from 21 to 85MP with higher burst rate at lower resolution could be that resolution trick? Maybe this was supposed to be an R1 but got transitioned to an R3 to preserve the position of the 1DXIII for a while yet, or to provide more time to adapt the technology to where Canon can confidently call it a flagship camera system.
Another option is that that will be the R1 when it comes out but Canon still needs some time to finish developing it.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

BakaBokeh

CR Pro
May 16, 2020
The high resolution stuff is new and interesting info. Since it looks and feels like a mirrorless 1DX, it made me wonder if it was going to have a lower resolution sensor. I'm in the camp with some of you who have suggested that the pixel trick is to allow for either high or low resolution. Like grouping 4 pixels together to make a big low light sensitive pixel at a lower resolution. I don't think this particular camera is in my future, but I love the idea of advancing technology and giving users more options... which will make their way into other cameras.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
I have a feeling this camera is not focused on video at all. It’ll have some sort of decent video, something standard, but that won’t be its focus. I feel like it’s the stills side of a 1Dx MK III crossed with what we had with the 5DsR.

A lower megapixel sports mode. So like 20mp fast frame rate. And a studio high megapixel mode taking advantage of the full sensor power with two processors.

I feel like. The R1 will be the “do it all” workhorse for stills and video and will come along way later.

My prediction anyway.

The Komodos are nice. I went with a c70 though. Very adaptable for vintage glass.
You maybe correct, but I selfishly hope you are not.
FYI: while waiting for the Red I purchased both the C70 and Sony FX6. I ended up returning the Canon, as the Sony checked more boxes for my use. Both are honestly outstanding... especially if time is a constraint. The Red will allow me to utilize the excellent RF glass... which currently is just collecting dust on my selves.
If the R3 turns out to be a video beast, with raw light and 8K, with a tilt/flip 16:9 lcd, and other goodies... it might be time to ditch the Red. Because in all honesty, I would love a weather sealed tank with world class AF... with long battery life... and no overheating. Canon... are you listening?

Upvote 0

TAF

CR Pro
Feb 26, 2012
This is looking more and more like the R system’s equivalent of the original EOS-3. A just short of flagship technology testbed that brings new capabilities into the fold and allows for hard usage before they are folded into the flagship. If you remember the EOS-3 (great camera, I still have mine), while all the attention was paid to the eye-control autofocus the biggest innovation was the first use of the 45 point AF sensor which found its way into the EOS-1V (last pro film camera) and the first rounds of the EOS-1D and 1Ds. If I remember right it was also the first implementation of a CMOS sensor for the AF module as opposed to a CCD.

I’m really looking forward to the R3, and hope it is not a one-off like the EOS-3 was.

New capabilities - the dual digital/film body.

A nice pellicle mirror to direct part of the light to the image sensor, and the rest passes through to the film.

Best of both worlds. No need for dual card slots when you have analog backup.

• Haha
Upvote 0

CanonGrunt

C70
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2012
You maybe correct, but I selfishly hope you are not.
FYI: while waiting for the Red I purchased both the C70 and Sony FX6. I ended up returning the Canon, as the Sony checked more boxes for my use. Both are honestly outstanding... especially if time is a constraint. The Red will allow me to utilize the excellent RF glass... which currently is just collecting dust on my selves.
If the R3 turns out to be a video beast, with raw light and 8K, with a tilt/flip 16:9 lcd, and other goodies... it might be time to ditch the Red. Because in all honesty, I would love a weather sealed tank with world class AF... with long battery life... and no overheating. Canon... are you listening?
I’m using FD lenses adapted to RF on the c70 and an R6, and they are a ton of fun. I also have a full EF prime set of L lenses and the speed booster thingy for the c70, and a ND filter EF to RF adaptor for the R6. Makes a versatile little combo. I wish the R6 was DCI though, and not just UHD, but if the video specs on the R3 are better I won’t need to keep the R6 at all. So here’s to hoping I’m wrong!!!

Upvote 0
I think all pixels will be split in 2 or 4 and this can be used either to improve AF, either to multiply the resolution. It could have 25MP with a terrific AF and 30fps, or 50MP with a slower AF and 12-20 FPS.
And it's obviously a sport camera, that's why they didn't announce anything for video, it will have a normal 4K option but will not compete with R5 on this point. People always want the newest camera to have all the features they wish, but Canon don't care about this. Videographers can buy the R5 or wait for the R5II if it's not enough. Canon has no interest in cannibalizing its own models every time they make a new one !

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
...As for differences between the R3 and R1, I think there are some pretty obvious thoughts given precedent.

I’d think one of the differentiating factors would be card slots, I’d think both will have two card slots but the R3 will have two different card types, the R1 a single card type. The R3 will have higher resolution. The R1 will have quad pixel and global shutter. The R1 will have some mysterious but ‘higher’ weather sealing nomenclature. The R1 will have faster fps. The R1 will cost a lot more than the R3. The R1 will have built in GPS. The R3 with have a tilt/swivel screen, I'd expect the R1 to have a fixed screen.
It sounds like you are describing an R5 with an integrated grip.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
IMO too much smoke from too small fire.
Okay, rumors are for the rumors sake, but for me there are too few infos for any guess.
Basically, this is just a thread with no information but an opportunity for people to describe the unicorn they are dreaming of. Wake me up when some actual information becomes available.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Basically, this is just a thread with no information but an opportunity for people to describe the unicorn they are dreaming of. Wake me up when some actual information becomes available.
The two pieces of information I want are sensor resolution and availability date.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0