Let's Get it On

In the spirit of the latest round of provocative post titles, I'd like to start this one to post some animal love. I've seen a fair amount of mating in zoos, but this is the first time I've captured it in the wild. It didn't last long, but it was cool to watch. Here's the best of the many frames I captured - I think the falling bark gives it something extra:

St_Marks_NWR_2-16-2014_1256_ID_2-XL.jpg

Red-shouldered Hawks Mating
300mm f/2.8L IS II + 2x III - 600mm @ f/8, 1/640s, ISO 320 - cropped to roughly 2/3 frame

Please share your photos.

Valvebounce said:
Hi Mackguyver.
I think you should take care not to get slapped with a law suit for infringing their privacy! ;D
Like the falling bark, definitely adds an aspect of action.

Cheers Graham.
LOL and thanks! When I get home, I'll have to put up another shot with the female giving me the evil eye. Full story: I was driving slowly down the road when I spotted the male with my eagle hawk eyes. I took a couple of shots until he started shrieking (see below) to the female who was nearby he flew off, she landed, then he flew back to the perch and climbed on her. It was over in about 20-30s and then they rested together (see second shot below), briefly, before they both flew off and left. I did feel kind of bad intruding on them, but they weren't shy :D

St_Marks_NWR_2-16-2014_1245_ID3_2-M.jpg

St_Marks_NWR_2-16-2014_1291_ID-L.jpg

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Don.
Not being familiar with the original format of the sign do you perhaps have a pic of the standard sign. Any way it does look very creative.

Cheers Graham.

Don Haines said:
I live in a happening place..... a few years ago the roadsign comming into my community was vandalized..... note the bottom right square of the sign :)

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012
Don Haines said:
I live in a happening place..... a few years ago the roadsign comming into my community was vandalized..... note the bottom right square of the sign :)
Ha hah ha ;D ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) ... well, it is now officially confirmed that you really do live in a "happening place" 8) ... hats-off to the person who got the sign to look so perfectly aligned with the correct shape and size ... it does not look like vandalized at all.

Upvote 0