Lets See Some of Your Double Exposures!

This is my third attempt at a double exposure. I think I have the general idea. Shoot a silhouette with the background blown out (From below up at the sky) at around -1. Then shoot your texture again at -1. My camera (6D) has built in software so you can sync up both shots in live view.

I found this link helpful: http://petapixel.com/2012/10/08/how-to-shoot-surreal-in-camera-double-exposure-portraits/

Here is a picture of my girlfriend with a painting I own as the texture.
13905396615_0233906be8_b.jpg

Upvote 0

surapon

80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
Aug 2, 2013
APEX, NORTH CAROLINA, USA.
Dear friends.
I do not know what we call this photo below. But, I set the Camera on tripods, Set Camera at Bulb Mode with Wire remote to press the shutter----In the dark Room-yes total dark, set up 3 spots that my son can walk to that spot in the dark, and ever times that he at the spot, I have Flash in my hand and press the test button---Yes after 3 times flashes and 3 new location, I just close the shutter = Bing-Go.
Enjoy.
Surapon

Attachments

• HFS10.jpg
    HFS10.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 1,178
Upvote 0

Old Sarge

CR Pro
Nov 6, 2012
jdramirez said:
davejdoe said:
Just figured out how to accomplish this on my 6D (I'm behind the times here) Looking for some inspiration...

I knew we could do this in Photoshop with layers... or long exposures with flash... but I didn't know this was an ooc function as well.

Only a few cameras have a double exposure function. I used to do some using my Bronica 645. Did some decent bride pictures that way. The technique used by Surapon, very effectively, is similar to what we old timers called painting with light. We would find a location (glass church in Palos Verdes, CA, was a good one), a dark night, set up camera/cameras on tripod, open shutter and one of us would illuminate various areas of the subject with, usually, a large flashlight, like a camping flashlight, or occasionally a couple of flash bulbs (strobes weren't used as much in those days). Ah, I guess I'm caught up tripping down memory lane. I do hope the 7DII, or whatever it is called, has a double exposure capability.

Upvote 0
My 5D3 has this feature but I have not used it with digital. I have used it several times with my film camera. Perhaps my all time favorite photo (that I have taken) is this two exposure image of Notre Dame. Taken with my Canon 1N and Kodak Ektar 100. First shot just after sunset recording the red tinge in sky and blue on water. If I had stopped there the building would be a silhouette. Waited over half an hour with camera securely locked on tripod then did longer exposure for night lights on the same frame of film. If I had done this shot only (without overlaying earlier exposure) sky would have been near black and so would water.

Attachments

• Notre Dame C17 final.jpg
    Notre Dame C17 final.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 389
Upvote 0
mackguyver said:
I haven't tried this yet, but I thought these shots were really cool:

http://petapixel.com/2015/04/11/double-exposure-portraits-of-city-council-members-and-things-important-to-them/

This video was interesting. I did not realize you could load a photo stored on the card some time later and still add the second exposure. I assumed it was like film where you had to do two in a row on the same "frame" before moving on to another shot.

Upvote 0