Looking for a macro ring light for 100mm L

Ring flashes produce unwanted results. With the 100L + tubes I usually just use a normal flash. Brackets and such help a lot too, but in most cases you can take pics without them and still beat the ring flash options. That being said, my best macro shots are the ones where I used my own DIY setup: 430 EX II flash, TTL cord, 2 L-shaped metal pieces, ... Even when attached to an "arm", the 430 flash is still not too heavy to annoy me to death.

Upvote 0
Quasimodo said:
The F2 looks quite promising, and I like the fact that you can use it with the 600.

I did not think about the convex shapes, so it would be hard no matter what, but at least you can get more pleasing results.

Again, thank you for your answers :)

Gerhard.

The Wimberley F2 pieces are much easier to justify when you think about using them with 2 600EX RT flashes and a ST-E3 controller (or equivalents).

I have a MT24EX only because I got a very good deal on a used one. The new RT stuff sure seems to be a whole lot more useful- if only Canon (or someone else) would release a smaller RT slave compatible flash...

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
danski0224 said:
The Wimberley F2 pieces are much easier to justify when you think about using them with 2 600EX RT flashes and a ST-E3 controller (or equivalents).

I have a MT24EX only because I got a very good deal on a used one. The new RT stuff sure seems to be a whole lot more useful- if only Canon (or someone else) would release a smaller RT slave compatible flash...

The F-2's with a pair of 600's certainly works, but it's quite bulky compared to the twin flash heads. Even 430-sized flashes would be bulky. I do like the absence of cords with the ST-E3-RT, though. I haven't found that I needed any more power than the MT24-EX delivers, even at the equivalent of f/96 (f/16 with the 5-stop loss at 5x mag).

I paid full price for my MT24-EX, although it was over $100 less than the current price. But the reason I bought it was for the MP-E 65mm, and that I bought used at a great price - 50% of retail (with was lower than it is now).

Upvote 0