Looking for some advice

I know Photokina's just around the corner, and announcements to be made in the next couple of weeks from ALL maufacturers will probably affext my decision, but I need some help. In November, I'm going on a long haul trip for a week, and due to recent ill health I won't be able to take my normal gear with me (Canon 7D, four lenses (16mm - 400mm), flash, tripod etc.) I need to get hold of something small and MUCH lighter.

Much of the stuff I'll be shooting will be in low light, (think music concerts etc), but there'll also be some landscape / wildlife opportunities, and a fair amount of bright sunshine portrait/candid work too.

At the moment I'm leaning towards the G1X Mk 2 or the Sony RX100 III for the lowlight stuff (unless the rumoured Canon 1" sensor competitor is announced, is high spec and is available in time), but I'd then need something to cover any telephoto work, so perhaps the SX50 or its replacement as well.

Anyone care to comment or offer advice? Thanks in advance for all helpful info!

Mar 25, 2011
The G7 X will be out soon. There are no tests of production versions available, and I do not take advance images very seriously. It has a big advantage in that the zoom lens has a focal length range that covers portraits, and has a very wide aperture. But ... We'll have to wait and see.

My G1 X II is fine for a APS-C camera at high ISO's, it beats a 1" sensor handily. I use my FF body when I need high ISO's, but I'd use the 1G X II at 3200 just as I did with my original G1 X.

Upvote 0

Marsu42

Canon Pride.
Feb 7, 2012
Berlin
der-tierfotograf.de
timnic98 said:
Anyone care to comment or offer advice?

Absolutely: Try to find a better thread title than "Looking for some advice" :) ... while it will generate general recreational interest you won't get good replies as many knowledgeable people won't even bother to look. You can still edit your post and change the thread title though.

Upvote 0