Looking to buy, sell or trade used gear? Check out our new partner MPB

Mt Spokane Photography

I post too Much on Here!!
CR Pro
Mar 25, 2011
In addition, for lenses there is the problem of quality because of copy variation. I thoroughly test each lens I buy new or used, and sometimes the centering or optical quality is unacceptable. If I buy new on-line or used from MPB or WEX, I know I can send them back, and occasionally I have done.
Thats the biggest issue with buying used. Many buyers do not know how to properly test a lens for various issues. If its grossly bad, we can all spot it, but if its just mediocre, many blame it on learning to use the lens. Mirrorless bodies tend to eliminate missed focus issues but there are still plenty of others. Many lenses are knocked out of alignment during shipping due to inadequate packing.

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I've seen you post about this "grey" market camera/lens thing a lot....it's something I'm not familiar with...
I'm guessing it is not really available in the US?

Something about no warranty work, etc...?

Anyway, not something I know anything about obviously...do you have links to read up on what this is and if it is available in the US?

I'm guessing it is only for new(er) items...a lot of the stuff I'm looking for on eBay, KEH, etc....are older manual lenses and medium format film cameras. I do like to adapt vintage lenses onto modern mirrorless cameras too.

C
I don't know about other companies, but Panamoz definitely provide a full 3 year warranty in the US, EU and UK, as well as the usual 14/28 days no-quibble returns policy.

In my experience, they are very helpful and answer emails within a few hours, so your best bet is to click on the link on the Panamoz website and get answers direct from them.

I have no idea *who* would carry out repairs in the US, but in the UK they use official Canon-accredited repairers. Officially, because they are grey imports, Canon's own warranty would be void, but all my grey-market purchases are registered with CPS, so Canon *might* handle repairs themselves. In the UK, I think Canon farm out some of their warranty repairs to Fixation and other accredited Canon repairers, so theoretically a camera would be repaired by the same people, regardless of whether it's bought through the official distributor, or via grey market. Fortunately I've never had to test this.

cayenne

EOS R6
CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
I don't know about other companies, but Panamoz definitely provide a full 3 year warranty in the US, EU and UK, as well as the usual 14/28 days no-quibble returns policy.

In my experience, they are very helpful and answer emails within a few hours, so your best bet is to click on the link on the Panamoz website and get answers direct from them.

I have no idea *who* would carry out repairs in the US, but in the UK they use official Canon-accredited repairers. Officially, because they are grey imports, Canon's own warranty would be void, but all my grey-market purchases are registered with CPS, so Canon *might* handle repairs themselves. In the UK, I think Canon farm out some of their warranty repairs to Fixation and other accredited Canon repairers, so theoretically a camera would be repaired by the same people, regardless of whether it's bought through the official distributor, or via grey market. Fortunately I've never had to test this.
This is the website, Panamoz?

Thank you in advance,

C

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Panamoz can be pricey
It pays to check all the grey market suppliers - there will be many lenses or bodies that are cheaper from Panamoz, and others that are cheaper elsewhere. If the price difference is small, I'd still buy from Panamoz because I've found that they are extremely reliable and offer the best warranty, but yes, check them all!

If/when the price saving is less than about £100, I would buy from Wex, Park Cameras or Jessops, but I've saved literally thousands over the last few years by getting gear from Panamoz, e.g. I got my R5 for £1000 less than the price charged by UK retailers.

Of course, in other countries there will be different tax laws which will make a difference to what you end up paying. Also the UK is a small market, so our prices are well above what you'd pay from a US dealer, where the big dealers get massive discounts for bulk buying.

Overall my advice would be to firstly research all the suppliers and find out which ones have the best reputations for customer service, then from that shortlist find out which is the cheapest (after taxes and postal charges). Also be sure to check whether the item you want is actually in stock, and check the delivery times and whether tracking info is provided.

Reactions: 2 users

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Many lenses are knocked out of alignment during shipping due to inadequate packing.
It can be educational to spend time in a major warehouse and to work with courier systems, as I did a few years ago. Even in the most safety-conscious companies it's commonplace to see valuable and fragile packages drop from heights of 10m onto concrete floors, when pallets are being loaded/unloaded by fork-lifts. I've seen the floors of book warehouses littered with damaged books. I've seen boxed cameras dropped from great heights, and then continue on their journey to the retailer. Makes me wonder how the practice of splitting kits and selling in "white boxes" originated...

Every camera and lens has to undergo a quite hazardous journey before the customer receives it. It may be perfect when it leaves the factory in Japan, but then it has to be transported by truck and warehoused by the exporter, loaded/unloaded to ships or aircraft (often several times), warehoused again at the port of entry, transported by truck to the distributor, warehoused again, and finally transported by truck to the retailer.

During all of the above processes, the only protection the item has is the cardboard box provided by the manufacturer. It may seem reassuring if an on-line retailer sends you a camera/lens carefully packaged with bubble-wrap within a strong cardboard box, but this additional packaging is largely irrelevant, because any damage will probably already have occurred earlier in the transportation process.

Reactions: 1 user