Lots of Talk, Very Little Solid Information About Canon's Next Cameras

Apr 23, 2018
3kramd5 said:
fullstop said:
Mikehit said:
and the stigma that electric cars are for women.)
THIS is the only bit of information I find interesting in all of your post. What is it about? :)

They didn’t have to be hand-cranked to start.

HEHEHE!!! Honestly, did not occur to me. LOL. :)

Upvote 0
Why do you all reply to this guy? If not a troll, he's certainly a crank. And he loves the attention, which makes him post increasingly ridiculous things. Mute him - if the moderators won't ban him again, then that's the best we can do. 50% of some threads are pointless nonsense from one person, and it's making this forum a much poorer place.

Upvote 0
scyrene said:
Why do you all reply to this guy? If not a troll, he's certainly a crank. And he loves the attention, which makes him post increasingly ridiculous things. Mute him - if the moderators won't ban him again, then that's the best we can do. 50% of some threads are pointless nonsense from one person, and it's making this forum a much poorer place.

Come on.. half of the reason I come here is for the popcorn entertainment. Don't be a party pooper k?

Upvote 0
jayphotoworks said:
scyrene said:

Come on.. half of the reason I come here is for the popcorn entertainment. Don't be a party pooper k?

There are limits. If you went to a party where one guy accounted for half the conversation, spouting bull poop and occasionally insulting the other guests, you might ask him to leave. And the party would be better off for it.

Upvote 0
robotfist said:
I am heavily invested in Canon lenses, their DSLRs and their cinema line. I’ve stayed tried and true for years. It’s been hard these past 3 years watching Sony eclipse them with every release. I envy the sharpness, the latitude, the stabilization, the light sensitivity and the lighter form factors of the Sony’s. But I’ve stayed with Canon, patiently waiting for them to catch up, partly because I dig their colors and menus over Sony, but mostly because I don’t want to deal with offloading all this gear. Well, this year is a make it or break it year for me. I won’t wait for Canon any longer. I’ll be selling everything come November and switching to Sony if they don’t step up their game. They need some winners in the mirrorless line. They need a better middle ground camera in their cinema line that can shoot slow motion. Honestly, they need winners on all fronts. They need to be inventive and setting the pace, not following in the wake of their competitors. Time is up. Canon is in third place. Albough their market share or sales may state otherwise, it is my opinion that they are just riding on people like me that are heavily invested in their ecosystem and don’t want to switch. Well that patience doesn’t last forever. Get your ass in gear Canon! Your elderly executives are stuck in their ways and their decisions are slowly choking the company. Innovate and set the trend or go sit in the corner with Kodak, Nokia and Sears.

Yeah, just about every piece of camera gear I purchased from 1986 until recently was Canon, but I finally got sick of their coasting on past laurels BS. I tried for years to warn people that Canon was just gonna deliver blah stuff and that they needing pushing, but got called a troll. When you see how far behind they are on sensors, video, etc. well what did I say all that time? The second that Canon exec said way back when that Canon were the kings of the hill so they didn't need to bother.... you could it was coming to this. It was sad to see what Canon became after all of those decades.

I do still have four Canon lenses and an old 5D3, but I haven't purchased anything from Canon in a few years now I guess. I think the newest item I have is the 24-70 f/2.8L Mark II. I guess I did still get the new wide angle zoom after that but sold it off since. And this from someone who was Canon, Canon, Canon for decades and who was spending thousands on Canon stuff all the time.

I do like their UI better and am not mirrorless crazy so it would be awesome to see Canon somehow change and become the Canon of old, but.... I mean it's been years.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
neuroanatomist said:
fullstop said:
dak723 said:
In other words, mirrorless will never be a disruption in the camera market. Both mirrorless ILCs and DSLR ILCs are the same market. They can't disrupt each other.

sure. Horse-carts and auto-mobiles are the same market. Horse cart market will never be disrupted by cars.

quite funny to read all those arguments down that line.

Did Henry Ford breed/make horses and carts before inventing and selling automobiles? Quite funny but also sad when people so completely miss the point of an argument.

When Sony sold only DSLRs, they had ~13% ILC market share. Now they've switched entirely to mirrorless...and they have ~13% ILC market share. Disruption?? LOL.

I don't know what the point of the argument is, but Henry did not invent the automobile. I believe he invented the assembly line, but not the automobile.

Upvote 0
fullstop said:
dak723 said:
In other words, mirrorless will never be a disruption in the camera market. Both mirrorless ILCs and DSLR ILCs are the same market. They can't disrupt each other.

sure. Horse-carts and auto-mobiles are the same market. Horse cart market will never be disrupted by cars.

Mirrorslappers will be gone soon, much like the horse carts. At least in the more developed parts of the world. ;D

---

Now back to my "Disruptive Technology" remarks...Canon AND Sony have recently thought long and hard about what markets need to be served and PROFITED from. Canon has IMPRESSIVE consumer lens, industrial optics and chip-making technology in addition to their superb printer/copier division while Sony has nearly undisputed leadership in Television Broadcast Video (XD-Cam) cameras, Playstation systems and still photo/video sensor production for mobile systems.

The TWO largest technologies BOTH companies have now embarked upon (i have VERY VERY detailed and up-close knowledge on this!) is the addition of large Fixed-lens and Interchangeable Lens super-smartphones that will use GLOBAL SHUTTER sensors running at 60 fps DCI 4K (4096x2160) video using 2/3rds Inch, One-Inch or APS-C sensors on said systems. BOTH Sony and Canon are ACTIVELY WORKING ON and TESTING such systems in the lab and in the field RIGHT NOW !!!

Sony xPeria phones and tablets with 1-inch and APS-C sensors are now on tap for introduction mid next year. Canon's offering will be (from my sources) a fixed lens 2/3rd inch sensor and an interchangeable lens APS-C 6.3 inch+ super smartphone! All such phones will be THICKER (between 15mm to 25mm thick) than anything currently from Samsung or Apple to allow for more battery power, longer flange distance and better ergonomics.

In FIVE YEARS, I expect these large-sensor smart-phones WILL OUTSELL every DSLR and point-and-shoot camera both companies make by VERY WIDE MARGINS !!! The future production technology war will then be fought to bring down the 15-to-25mm thickness of such large-sensor smartphones BACK DOWN to the more common 8mm to 12 mm use by most of today's bigger-selling Samsung S-series and Apple iPhones!

Big Sensors being Stuffed into Thinner Phones will be where the phone wars are fought! And the Five Biggest players will be Sony, Canon, Apple, Samsung and Xiaomi which will be tomorrow's largest FLAGSHIP PHONE makers! Canon has the edge on lens technology while Sony has the edge on Sensor tech. Apple has the Software Ease-of-Use crown so it's gonna be a MASSIVE BATTLE as to who will be ones selling 120 million+ large-sensor smartphones per year!

Which at $800 per high end phone is a GROSS INCOME of 96 BILLION U.S. DOLLARS!!! And at the average FlagShip phone market profit margin of 20%, that is 19.2 BILLION DOLLARS PER YEAR of income...NO manufacturer can afford to dismiss that sort of yearly income!

At CES 2019 (in January) you will DEFINITELY see some announcements if not outright introductions of such big-sensor super-smartphones! Who will be first? Canon, Sony, Samsung, Apple, Xiaomi? Which One has THE GUTS TO GRAB THE BIG SENSOR SMARTPHONE GLORY ??????????????

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
Nothing in that is particularly revelatory. I would be disappointed if those companies were not researching the technologies you describe. In fact read any rumour site and it seems you have merely coalesced them into one post.

Also, do you realise that randomly capitalising words is very distracting and makes it harder to read what you are trying to explain and makes you out as a self-publicising 'look how clever I am' smart alec?

Upvote 0
Mikehit said:
Nothing in that is particularly revelatory. I would be disappointed if those companies were not researching the technologies you describe. In fact read any rumour site and it seems you have merely coalesced them into one post.

Also, do you realise that randomly capitalising words is very distracting and makes it harder to read what you are trying to explain and makes you out as a self-publicising 'look how clever I am' smart alec?

---

I can afford to be a smart-alec...I actually DO KNOW MORE about what's coming down the pipeline than you do....re: my recently sold AND VERY CLEVER 444/422 codec which I designed and coded ALL BY MYSELF....re: why a Bell 429 and Knight XV are parked at my hangar.......

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
HarryFilm said:
Mikehit said:

---

I can afford to be a smart-alec...I actually DO KNOW MORE about what's coming down the pipeline than you do....re: my recently sold AND VERY CLEVER 444/422 codec which I designed and coded ALL BY MYSELF....re: why a Bell 429 and Knight XV are parked at my hangar.......

And I am guessing your sales agreement includes a confidentiality that you cannot say to whom or for what purpose. How very convenient.

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
HarryFilm said:
fullstop said:
dak723 said:

Mirrorslappers will be gone soon, much like the horse carts. At least in the more developed parts of the world. ;D

---

Now back to my "Disruptive Technology" remarks...Canon AND Sony have recently thought long and hard about what markets need to be served and PROFITED from. Canon has IMPRESSIVE consumer lens, industrial optics and chip-making technology in addition to their superb printer/copier division while Sony has nearly undisputed leadership in Television Broadcast Video (XD-Cam) cameras, Playstation systems and still photo/video sensor production for mobile systems.

The TWO largest technologies BOTH companies have now embarked upon (i have VERY VERY detailed and up-close knowledge on this!) is the addition of large Fixed-lens and Interchangeable Lens super-smartphones that will use GLOBAL SHUTTER sensors running at 60 fps DCI 4K (4096x2160) video using 2/3rds Inch, One-Inch or APS-C sensors on said systems. BOTH Sony and Canon are ACTIVELY WORKING ON and TESTING such systems in the lab and in the field RIGHT NOW !!!

Sony xPeria phones and tablets with 1-inch and APS-C sensors are now on tap for introduction mid next year. Canon's offering will be (from my sources) a fixed lens 2/3rd inch sensor and an interchangeable lens APS-C 6.3 inch+ super smartphone! All such phones will be THICKER (between 15mm to 25mm thick) than anything currently from Samsung or Apple to allow for more battery power, longer flange distance and better ergonomics.

In FIVE YEARS, I expect these large-sensor smart-phones WILL OUTSELL every DSLR and point-and-shoot camera both companies make by VERY WIDE MARGINS !!! The future production technology war will then be fought to bring down the 15-to-25mm thickness of such large-sensor smartphones BACK DOWN to the more common 8mm to 12 mm use by most of today's bigger-selling Samsung S-series and Apple iPhones!

Big Sensors being Stuffed into Thinner Phones will be where the phone wars are fought! And the Five Biggest players will be Sony, Canon, Apple, Samsung and Xiaomi which will be tomorrow's largest FLAGSHIP PHONE makers! Canon has the edge on lens technology while Sony has the edge on Sensor tech. Apple has the Software Ease-of-Use crown so it's gonna be a MASSIVE BATTLE as to who will be ones selling 120 million+ large-sensor smartphones per year!

Which at $800 per high end phone is a GROSS INCOME of 96 BILLION U.S. DOLLARS!!! And at the average FlagShip phone market profit margin of 20%, that is 19.2 BILLION DOLLARS PER YEAR of income...NO manufacturer can afford to dismiss that sort of yearly income!

At CES 2019 (in January) you will DEFINITELY see some announcements if not outright introductions of such big-sensor super-smartphones! Who will be first? Canon, Sony, Samsung, Apple, Xiaomi? Which One has THE GUTS TO GRAB THE BIG SENSOR SMARTPHONE GLORY ??????????????
Apple has some pretty impressive lens, sensor and electronics engineers a few I know and they worked in the motion picture supplier market. They understand codecs ProRes being a great example of that plus through their relationship with ARM they know a lot about low power processors. Add together an ecosystem, styling, their own stores globally and the best EBITDA margins they will not let Canon or anyone else rain on their parade without a fight. Sony supply sensors to Apple latest iPhones any they will want to keep that business because the broader market they supply too would not take kindly to them dumping clients and that part of their business has steadily grown. Canon has a lot of competition in the broadcast lens market and is non-existent in motion picture market. Leica design mobile phone lenses for the Chinese, Zeiss contract design, as does Schneider so Apple would have options if it wanted a "named" lens but knowing Apple it will plough its own furrow.

Upvote 0