LP-E6, LP-E6N and LC-E6E chargers?

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi TeT.
Thanks for clearing that up, I will keep a bookmark for that site.
I know in the automotive industry that OEM and aftermarket often come from the same factory, I bought an item for a VW van, the new item was identical to the original removed from the van, with the EXCEPTION of the VW stamp and of course the pretty VW packaging, and I mean identical under close scrutiny, casting marks, machining marks the lot. I'd wager the same production line, one for VW, one for us, one for VW, one for us.
I have no idea whether Canon batteries are made in house or outsourced, but it would not surprise me if they come from the same source, though OEM packaging is a bit ?? I'd bet any official supplier caught selling in official packaging would be an ex official supplier before they knew what happened!

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0
Hi Valvebounce

I decided to monitor my battery performance after reading this thread

Here's my feedback.

Both my 7Dii and 6D came with the LC-E6E charger.

My LP-E6N batteries both charge to 100% (as per the in-camera Battery Info tab) whereas the LP-E6 battery only charges to 95%.

The LP-E6N batteries are more than a year old whereas the LP-E6 is 6 weeks old

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Sabaki.
Don't know if these batteries exhibit this trait, but it used to be that rechargeable batteries would ramp up to full capacity after several charge and discharge cycles, maybe that is why your new battery shows lower capacity, how many cycles has it been through. Is your LP-E6 a higher amp hour rating than the 6N's, this may have some bearing on the charging.

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0
Sabaki said:
I just charged two of my LP-E6Ns, one in my LP-E6 charger and one in my LP-E6N charger and both register as 100% in my 7Dii.

All my kit is from Canon SA, which is supplied by Canon Europe

I don't understand why someone would buy a $7,000 camera and then put cheap n nasty third party batteries in it and expect those batteries to work has if they are good/Canon ones. I wouldn't even consider non-Canon batteries in my camera

Upvote 0
davidmurray said:
Sabaki said:
I just charged two of my LP-E6Ns, one in my LP-E6 charger and one in my LP-E6N charger and both register as 100% in my 7Dii.

I don't understand why someone would buy a $7,000 camera and then put cheap n nasty third party batteries in it and expect those batteries to work has if they are good/Canon ones. I wouldn't even consider non-Canon batteries in my camera

Hi Gary :)

All my batteries and chargers are Canon 1st party equipment.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi David.
First off, my camera was £800 $1,100 new with a 3 yr warranty, not £4,800 $7000 (US?)
Second, I have had aftermarket batteries for all my cameras, starting with my 300D and all bar the first incredibly incredibly cheap pair have retained equal or better charging charachteristics than the OEM batteries. What is more I do not expect them to work as OEM, but remain pleasantly surprised when they do outperform OEM. (Obviously I cannot yet speak to the current set!)
Finally I was not complaining about batteries I was merely pointing out an anomaly that I had noticed with mixing new and 3 yr old batteries with new and 3 yr old chargers.
I do not suggest that my approach is better, it is where I have found an opportunity to improve my camera, (grip and batteries) within my budget.

Cheers, Graham

davidmurray said:
Sabaki said:

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 91053

davidmurray said:
Sabaki said:

I would point you at the last line of my previous post:
"P.S. I have had 4 battery packs fail on me = ALL were Canon originals never a 3rd party one, you won't catch me buying Canon batteries unless they come included with the camera!"

If you are only happy to use OEM batteries that is your decision but don't get the idea that they are always better as they are frequently worse and always far more expensive!

Upvote 0