Aug 26, 2012
I am new to macro photography. Using a Canon R6 with Laowa 100mm f2.8 2X Macro lens. Pretty quickly I found out that I will need a tripod (which I have) and a macro slider (i dont have) and need to do focus stacking to get a proper composition where the subject is in focus. Also need a focus stacking software. Looking for the following recommendation

1) Macro Slider
2) Focus Stacking Software/Plugin for Lightroom/Photoshop

Thanks.

There are many sliders available, and to start, I would buy a cheaper model. Just check it for backlash and smooth operation.
Photoshop does a reasonable job of focus stcking, so before spending lots of money, try out the cheap stuff first and work out what YOU really need first.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ColorBlindBat

CR Pro
Aug 30, 2018
An alternative to the Cognysis StackShot is the WeMacro 100mm automated rail.

It can be controlled by using a PC, Mac, iOS device, or an Android device.

And costs about half ($299) of the StackShot ($608 - $618 depending on which shutter cable is ordered).

The WeMacro can be powered with a USB Power Bank for field use.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2012
Apologies for not replying sooner. I went back to Big Sur after 8 years. So much has changed since then, bummed to find out that the trail to McWay Falls was closed off near the end as the wooden bridge collapsed due to wear and tear. Anyhow, thanks for all the suggestions. Let me look into all the great options you all have suggested and get back to you.

Upvote 0