Maximus's Cake Smash

shot my son Maximus cake smash for his 1st birthday coming up this Thursday, he's crying on this photo because we took the cake away from him, because he was eating too much of the icing. Any feedback would help on how to get myself better. Shot this with Canon 6D & 85mm f1.8mm lens
f/2.8, 1/250 sec., ISO 1000
I was aiming for 6-6:30pm but he was taking a nap & ended up shooting around 7:45pm which was kinda getting dark, thank god for my 6D low light performance.

Attachments

• IMG_3859-2.jpg
    IMG_3859-2.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 885
I have little in the way of constructive criticism to offer here, however as a personal taste thing, I might have boosted the blacks a bit more, but I can't say for sure without having the raw image in front of me. I like the imperfect symmetry in this shot.

I would just encourage you to keep using that lens/body combination at Golden Hour, you will quickly develop a personal candid portrait style and you will get some great images.

Upvote 0
jhanken said:
I have little in the way of constructive criticism to offer here, however as a personal taste thing, I might have boosted the blacks a bit more, but I can't say for sure without having the raw image in front of me. I like the imperfect symmetry in this shot.

I would just encourage you to keep using that lens/body combination at Golden Hour, you will quickly develop a personal candid portrait style and you will get some great images.

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it...I was really aiming for that golden hour, but my son didn't wanna sleep at the time I'd like him to but all in all, I think I was still able to capture some pretty good photos.

Upvote 0