Military Aircraft: airshows, operational, whatever, lets see what you have!

KeithBreazeal said:
DJP said:
Last year I went to RNAS Culdrose air show in West Cornwall, first time taking photos at an air show but I think I came away with some good shots.

All taken with 7D w/ Sigma 120-400
Well done! I like the Pitts S-2 "knife edge" shot. Good job on the pan and low shutter speed.

Thank you Keith. It was a shame the Harriers weren't able to take off. I'll have to travel to a different air show next year with mote variety.

Upvote 0

davechng

Military Aviation Photography
Sep 17, 2015
Dallas TX
www.airwingspotter.com
here is my 1st post here ! I do military aviation photography and specialized on Military aircraft

Here are some of my red flag 15-3 and shots in Switzerland!
DaveC
www.airwingspotter.com

7J9A1788_zpsux798hko.jpg

_MG_3319_zpsvk6sk6wd.jpg

IMG_5445_zpsjueunrk6.jpg

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Dave.
Nice shots, is the silhouette you use an F4 Phantom? One of my favourite jets.

Cheers, Graham.

davechng said:
here is my 1st post here ! I do military aviation photography and specialized on Military aircraft

Here are some of my red flag 15-3 and shots in Switzerland!
DaveC
www.airwingspotter.com

Upvote 0

Roo

CR Pro
Sep 12, 2013
Melbourne
dhr90 said:
zim said:
Roo said:
LesC said:
I have to admit the Rapide was cut out of a boring grey sky & added to the much nicer sunset but both photos were mine so I feel acceptable.

You killed the magic...you may as well have told me Santa Claus doesn't exist :'( ...but seriously it's a nice image :)

Really interesting, I also did a similar thing many pages back stating that the background sky was taken on the same day but not at the same time. I think it's important to state that otherwise for me it puts into question all other submissions. I asked the question at the time, for those of you really really into aircraft photography, is doing this an absolute no no or as Lesc I think suggests is tolerable? Is this basically the same debate as occurs within wildlife photography or am I making a fuss over nothing? :-\

Never got to Scottish Air show Ayr, family problems, gutted :(

I think it is important to state something that major has been changed. Personally I think that is a step too far, whilst I will adjust crop, exposure, saturation, sharpness and noise levels, the most I will change of what I would call the content captured is using the spot removal to get rid of a spot of dust or something similar, rather than a particularly major part of the scene. I do try to get it right in camera and keep the editing to a minimum, but I'm just not good enough to manage that, hopefully I will get there one day.

It's not something I would do but I don't have a problem with changing the background of an image, after all a painter is not criticised for painting an imaginary scene. Having said that, it does depend on the purpose the image is used for. It would look nice framed on a wall but couldn't be used for photo journalistic purposes. In competitions it would depend on the entry rules as to whether composites were allowed or not.

Anyway... here are some more images :) Caribou, Catalina, Hudson and Gooney Bird :)

Attachments

• Sunday (71 of 104).jpg
    Sunday (71 of 104).jpg
    603.7 KB · Views: 200
  • Sunday (87 of 104).jpg
    Sunday (87 of 104).jpg
    423.8 KB · Views: 202
  • Sunday (86 of 104).jpg
    Sunday (86 of 104).jpg
    307.7 KB · Views: 217
  • Australian International Airshow 2015 Friday (136 of 156).jpg
    Australian International Airshow 2015 Friday (136 of 156).jpg
    631 KB · Views: 206
  • Sunday (72 of 104).jpg
    Sunday (72 of 104).jpg
    537.8 KB · Views: 201
  • Australian International Airshow 2015 Friday (102 of 156).jpg
    Australian International Airshow 2015 Friday (102 of 156).jpg
    596.2 KB · Views: 202
Upvote 0

Roo

CR Pro
Sep 12, 2013
Melbourne
A330 MRTT (better known as KC30A here) with some hangers on waiting for the feeding tubes and the 737 based E-7A Wedgetail.

Attachments

• Australian International Airshow 2015 Friday (70 of 156).jpg
    Australian International Airshow 2015 Friday (70 of 156).jpg
    1,014.4 KB · Views: 180
  • Australian International Airshow 2015 Friday (83 of 156).jpg
    Australian International Airshow 2015 Friday (83 of 156).jpg
    480.7 KB · Views: 185
  • Australian International Airshow 2015 Friday (78 of 156).jpg
    Australian International Airshow 2015 Friday (78 of 156).jpg
    985.4 KB · Views: 172
  • Avalon (2 of 2).jpg
    Avalon (2 of 2).jpg
    380.2 KB · Views: 179
Upvote 0

LukasS

Yeap
Dec 24, 2014
Upvote 0
I went to the Duxford airshow last weekend, sadly I couldn't get tickets to go into the airfield so watched from one end, I really wish I had a longer lens which didn't suffer like my 70-200 does when the TC is attached. Shooting into the light meant a low keeper rate, until the Red Arrows showed up and it all just fell into place!

Despite that however, the highlight of the day was a formation of 16 Spitfires and 2 Seafires doing a series of flypasts before splitting up into fast individual flypasts (they went into climbing turns directly over my head) while 2-3 went into land after each pass.

This is the first shot I've processed. Lots more to go through.

RAF Red Arrows by Matt, on Flickr

Upvote 0
For those of you who shoot with a 70-200 f2.8 IS II (with or without 2x III), do you hand hold or use a tripod/monopod?

I tried to use a monopod at my last airshow for the year, and for certain shots of the properly aircraft, it seemed to work. But I'm wondering if a tripod and gimbal head would be better? I can't see myself using it for fast jets, so it's use is already cut down to roughly half the show content. But my dad is willing to go halves on a secondhand Benro GH2 in nearly mint condition. Wondering if it makes a real difference or not.

My share would be about £75 so this could be a bargain, but I'm not reading stellar reviews of it. I may be able to negotiate it even cheaper if bought with a 40mm pancake (at least that is my hope anyway).

On the other hand, I'm noticing some better results handholding, without the 2x attached and just cropping more, even on a 7D with its noise problems. But the monopod did seem to work well when the prop aircraft were flying slow to land.

Any thoughts?

Upvote 0