Military Aircraft: airshows, operational, whatever, lets see what you have!

Jul 29, 2012
Canada
WOW I really like the first picture. Well done, Roo.
d055.gif

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Roo

CR Pro
Sep 12, 2013
Melbourne
Thanks guys. I did like the mood with the light in the first shot. Funnily enough, I've been asked by a few people if I've been taking the shots either from an elevated position or air to air but everything has been shot from the ground. I'm pretty happy if I've created the illusion of being in the air with them :)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
SAAB SK37 Viggen (two-seater) in crappy light conditions, just minutes before a thunderstorm..
F11 flygdag, Nyköping/Skavsta Sweden

F36A0748_DxO_full by Erik Astrom, on Flickr

F36A0767_DxO_4000 by Erik Astrom, on Flickr

F36A0779_DxO_full by Erik Astrom, on Flickr

F36A0965_DxO_4000 by Erik Astrom, on Flickr

F36A0992_DxO_4000 by Erik Astrom, on Flickr

Braking using thrust reversal, I guess Viggen was the only fighter in the world having that kind of feature? Very effective when operating on short airstrips but it adds quite a lot of weight..

F36A0999_DxO_full by Erik Astrom, on Flickr

On static display before the weather deteriorated..

F36A8971_DxO_4000 by Erik Astrom, on Flickr

F36A8953_DxO_full by Erik Astrom, on Flickr

The "snail eyes" are periscopes, allowing the instructor in the back seat to get a glimpse of the runway during landing

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
SAAB SK37 Viggen (two-seater) in crappy light conditions, just minutes before a thunderstorm..
F11 flygdag, Nyköping/Skavsta Sweden
Very nice set Erik!:cool:
Indeed, reverse thrust on fighters is certainly not common...
Was this 'flygdag' only military - and just with the Viggen; or can we expect some more ;) ?
W.

Upvote 0
Indeed, reverse thrust on fighters is certainly not common...
Thanks! The idea to use country roads as backup airstrips dates far back in the Swedish Air force so all fighters must be able to stop quickly; SAAB 35 Draken used drag chute, 37 Viggen used thrust reversal, 39 Gripen uses ABS wheel brakes in combination with canard wings at full negative to create downforce. I guess the drag chute was found to be impractical since it was abandoned already in the 70:s... And now, in 2019, when Norway is about to recieve their 5:th generation F35, guess how they will cope with icy runways? Yep, the "arctic" version of F35 will be equipped with drag chute!!
Sure I have more pictures, hold on.. :p

A fast prop plane: a P51D in Royal Air Force paint scheme

F36A0225_DxO_full by Erik Astrom, on Flickr

F36A0437_DxO_full by Erik Astrom, on Flickr

And a slightly slower one.. Klemm 35

F36A9254_DxO_4000 by Erik Astrom, on Flickr

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0