missing 200-400 and 100-400 announcements?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 21, 2010
dallasdave said:
so unless something major was found wrong with it, they should be able to announce it by now

Sure, they could announce it now. But what if that can't produce it in quantity for another year? Maybe they're figuring out that long lags between announcement and availability, and repeated slipping of shipping promises, piss off their customer base, and they're going to wait until they're sure they can meed demand at release?

Upvote 0
A

AE5+

We already get big gaps from announcements to availablilty, the Mark II big whites were announced in August 2010, and have only been available in the UK a short time, so nearly 2 years.

Personally I would prefer they delay announcements until they have stock ready to ship. If I see an interesting item announced that I want buy, I want to be able to buy it straight away, and not have what feels like a never ending wait for it to come to the shops.

I have decided to change my 50mm lens for a 24-70 MKII (because of rumors I knew it was on the cards), but by the time it comes to the UK (I expect Jan 2013) that decision will have been made 2 years ago.

I think rumors is excellent for planning the longer term changes to your camera system, and possibly avoid some shorter purchases that have to be replaced.

Upvote 0
I hate nothing more than waiting between announcements and delivery. Therefore I am also happier in case there is no announcement around until they can actually deliver the goods. In any case I tend to buy what is at that time needed and available, so my recommendation for you is to take a look at 500mm or 400mm prime lenses. Don't worry about lenses not appearing for the next year or so. You won't be able to bring those lenses to your next shoot, will you?

Upvote 0
Yes, the sites will continue to be flooded with rumors about a new 100-400. When if finally gets announced :)(assuming the rumor becomes fact) then the same sites will be flooded with bitching about the price of the such "new lens" :mad:

after that, comes the thrilled fotographers claiming this to be the best lens they've ever seen ::) without actually having it used for long enough. finally, someone will come up with a ludicruos flaw in the lens (big emphasis on the price again) and how Canon missed the mark again :p

about two years into this, we'll start reading rumors about the "new" 100-400L MIII 8) and there we go again!!

Upvote 0
So Canon changed the MFD from the prototypes?

20120917_Canon_200-400mm_004_620x381.jpg

It is heavier than what I was expecting it to be. I was expecting it to be within 3kg and closer to the 500/4 IS II

$10,000~ price tag wasn't that surprising.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.