W

wildlifeandmore

Driving around Gros Ventre yesterday. Lots of Moose around. I sometimes find it hard to get a good exposure and good detail on their fur at a distance. These guys were about 60 yards away just across the Gros Ventre River. In certain light it turns out almost black and the contrast of the snow makes it challenging at times. I've had some good results shooting Manual with the ISO set to Auto and then sometimes I will spot meter in TV/AV bumped up +1/3 or +2/3. These shots were spot metered on his fir. I think they are too dark...

Attachments

• _E2C7957 1600.jpg
    _E2C7957 1600.jpg
    307.1 KB · Views: 681
  • _E2C7801 1600.jpg
    _E2C7801 1600.jpg
    391.3 KB · Views: 640
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
wildlifeandmore, I'd say exposure is correct. Their fur is very coarse, and like the dark Bison, they don't photograph that well, at least not compared to birds. ;) Especially in the bush. Very nice. Funny how a ho hum subject is a wish for someone else. I think that's what makes these threads more intreresting.

Jack

Upvote 0
W

wildlifeandmore

Jack Douglas said:
wildlifeandmore, I'd say exposure is correct. Their fur is very coarse, and like the dark Bison, they don't photograph that well, at least not compared to birds. ;) Especially in the bush. Very nice. Funny how a ho hum subject is a wish for someone else. I think that's what makes these threads more intreresting.

Jack
Thanks Jack. Glad to know it's not just me. Good point. I'm sure that I take for granted the local wildlife at times. Try not to.
Your camera ever have trouble getting good focus on them? Gotta get just the right light to see all of it.

Upvote 0
Feb 1, 2013
wildlifeandmore said:
A few more from the same day as previous post. These two were just down the road. The wind had really picked up. The one laying down had the right idea.
Canon 1D Mark IV
Canon 500mm f/4L IS
f/8
1/1000
640 iso (set to auto)
Manual exposure

These are all great, I especially like the second one with just the head. Nice work! And to think it didn't even take a 1DX to do such a great job, either!

Upvote 0
W

wildlifeandmore

CarlTN said:
wildlifeandmore said:
A few more from the same day as previous post. These two were just down the road. The wind had really picked up. The one laying down had the right idea.
Canon 1D Mark IV
Canon 500mm f/4L IS
f/8
1/1000
640 iso (set to auto)
Manual exposure
Thanks CarlTN.

These are all great, I especially like the second one with just the head. Nice work! And to think it didn't even take a 1DX to do such a great job, either!

Upvote 0
Feb 1, 2013
You're welcome sir!

wildlifeandmore said:
CarlTN said:
wildlifeandmore said:
Canon 1D Mark IV
Canon 500mm f/4L IS
f/8
1/1000
640 iso (set to auto)
Manual exposure
Thanks CarlTN.

Upvote 0