More features and specifications for the Canon EOS R3 have emerged

What do we think for the resolution? I'm guessing ~32.5MP, midway between the 1DX3 and R5.

24mp would be fine in a pro camera and very good PR from Canon already promoting their upcoming flagship camera.

Wish Nikon could do the same as Canon gradually release some specs, build some hype prior to Camera's release.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Atlasman

EOS R6 MKII
CR Pro
May 14, 2020
Typically, the 1 series cameras have not been the highest MP Canon camera even if they have been the most capable Canon camera. Canon eventually will bring to market the long-promised high MP camera. This will be a niche camera and will best in resolution everyother Canon camera. But it may and likely will not be Canon's best camera even if it is the best Canon camera for the niche it serves.
You may be right. But an R3 type is the first for Canon in digital—which to me indicates a re-jig of the lineup.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I was hoping for higher MP, and this is not promising. Too bad as I would have put in a preorder. But it sounds like the R3 is going to make reach-limited subjects even smaller, which is not what I am looking for in a wildlife body.

Reach will continue to be an issue for me until Canon develops lighter weight high performing telephotos.

What I don’t understand is why Canon is stating this body will compete with the A1 and Z9 if it will have half the MPs. Also, why the big marketibg hype about undercutting the competition when you are selling something that isn’t in line with those products anyway?
Hopefully Canon is just playing games anf does have a sensor of at least 30MP-45MP. Maybe they are scared of advertizing 8k again if it is limited recording time again.Fingers crossed for better news but I am prepared to be disappointed.
Nowhere is the megapixels mentioned in the announcement. Don't confuse forum guesses with news.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

mkush

CR Pro
Mar 21, 2015
These aren’t the final specs… and they don’t want to totally tip their hand. The specs look great but what would really put this camera over the top? High resolution. So my guess is that they’re holding back that spec for impact. At the actual announcement they’ll say, “By the way… is is 50 MP and shoots 8K without overheating.” Then everyone will totally flip for it. If they said 8K now, that would reveal that it’s at least 45 MP, so they can’t say that.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

RMac

R6ii 5DSR 5Diii 7D M5 C300
'New' accessory shoe? Does anyone guess what that would be?
Something to compete with this. Having an easy interface on the camera to plug in pro audio equipment (XLR) is a huge benefit for videography.
1622645331006.png

This could be a really nice video camera if Canon would get rid of the crippling 30 minute record limit. The only real feature it would be missing would be built-in ND filters (which I'll admit is a pretty big feature).

• Wow
Upvote 0

RMac

R6ii 5DSR 5Diii 7D M5 C300
Nowhere is the megapixels mentioned in the announcement. Don't confuse forum guesses with news.
Well, we know it has oversampled 4k, so more than 12MP, and they don't mention 8K, so almost certainly less than 50. Yes, anything else is a guess, but given that they're not mentioning it, it seems unlikely to be an exciting spec.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Something to compete with this. Having an easy interface on the camera to plug in pro audio equipment (XLR) is a huge benefit for videography.
View attachment 198031

This could be a really nice video camera if Canon would get rid of the crippling 30 minute record limit. The only real feature it would be missing would be built-in ND filters (which I'll admit is a pretty big feature).
Not so sure about that myself. How many scenes are interesting enough that are 30 mins long?

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
View attachment 198031

Doubt they will put in ND filters in a hybrid camera. They will reserve that feature for C line cameras.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Not so sure about that myself. How many scenes are interesting enough that are 30 mins long?
Long form video is very popular. Set the camera for an interview or wildlife scene etc and let it run, then edit out the good bits. Indeed in interviews getting the camera and gear handling out of the equation is very important, nothing breaks the flow of things quite like somebody saying cut I have to reset the camera!

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
As of now, I think R5 will be my camera. This is nice, but nothing really compelling to upgrade. R5 rocks!
I'll dump my R5 for higher resolution and eye focus otherwise I'll just wait for the R1. I would have thought that Canon had learned their lesson about video with a stills camera and tailor the R3 for stills work. I see absolutely no reason to drop back 5 years in resolution especially with Sony at 60mp.

Upvote 0