More features and specifications for the Canon EOS R3 have emerged

RMac

R6ii 5DSR 5Diii 7D M5 C300
Not so sure about that myself. How many scenes are interesting enough that are 30 mins long?
*Most* of the things I've needed to record over the pandemic (which got me into videography) have been longer than 30 minutes.
Interviews
Weddings (like a documentary recording)
Church Services/Sermon recordings
Conference presentations

I realize there are lots of things that don't need long-form recording capability, but there are lots of things that do, and I've found cameras with artificial record time limits are more trouble than they're worth in those situations.

It was enough of an issue that I went and bought a used C300.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
The good
Able to use speedlites with electronic shutter
LP-E19 battery
better IBIS
I am sure AF will be better than R5

My biggest disappointment so far
CF-e and SD card - why Canon why? May be it is your goal to disappoint people in one way or other. (for those who argue that SD cards are cheaper than Cf-e please do your research. There is not much price difference between comparable SD-UHS ii and CF-e cards)

My speculations
This is not going to be a high megapixel. This will be most likely a 25MP + or - 5 MP camera
Price is going to be $6k USD
This is not a competitor to Sony a1. So no Canon is not undercutting any competition in fact the opposite is true

I decided to hold off buying R5 expecting R3 is going to be at least a 45MP camera but sounds like most likely I will have to buy a R3

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I think it is becoming pretty clear that the R3 is to the R1 what the R6 is to the R5. Most of the people in this thread have been hoping the R3 is what the R1 will actually be, yet the R5 basically already does for them.
I agree and to me, it doesn't make any sense for the R3 to be lower resolution than the R5 especially if it comes in at $6K. What are we getting for $2K besides a grip and eye focus?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2021
Ive read on here several times that the R3 was to go toe-to-toe with the Z9 and A1 but in order to do so, I agree that it has to have at least a 45mp sensor. Not saying it won't be amazing, but if that's its purpose, I don't see how they can avoid that. The R1 will undoubtedly and exponentially destroy the A1 but at what price, $8000-$9,000? They need a $6,000 A1/Z9 competitor, unless the R5 is considered that already?

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
Funny to note from the side-view, the LP-E19 is actually somewhat wider than the camera itself. Especially when you consider that the space after the right-side of the HDMI port is all empty space where the flip-screen fits into the frame.

Also, with that said, the viewfinder doesn't look like it takes anymore space than the 1DX when you compare it to the LP-E19. The only difference is that there's more space between the eyecup and the back of the camera, since the camera is skinnier, which gives you even more room to not hit your nose on the camera.

1622646816299.png

Upvote 0
I have no idea why Canon keeps crippling their high end cameras with a dedicated SD card slot. CFExpress are cheap enough now that the cost justification doesn't hold up for the price of the body. Hopefully the R3 is dual-purpose slots, but knowing Canon they'll hold that for the R1
Why are people crying about a CFx card? A 128Gb Sony Touch is a little over $200 and once you've forked out $3900 for the R5 body another $250 is chicken feed.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I agree and to me, it doesn't make any sense for the R3 to be lower resolution than the R5 especially if it comes in at $6K. What are we getting for $2K besides a grip and eye focus?
The difference between a 1 series and a 5 series! Now for most people that isn't something of value, to me it very much is.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I’m wondering if Canon is going the route of the old 1D/1Ds. The R1 will be the studio/highest MP while the R3 will be geared more towards action/speed. Even the announcement of new af for cars/cycles seems to support this, as well as the eye controlled af.

Upvote 0
You are getting a stacked sensor. If you've ever shot an A9/A1 back to back with an R6/R5 you will know why that matters...a lot for fast action photography. And now confirmation that flash can be used with ES sort of guarantees not only a good read speed like the A9 but a top end read speed like the A1. Unless the flash sync is limited to 1/160 or something then it would be A9 level (even though A9 didn't allow flash with ES).

I also don't understand why people are surprised this may be a 20 odd MP camera even with the highest price in the R lineup? The 1DX series has always been way lower MPs than the 5 series and has always sold for way more than those cameras. Nothing to be surprised about there. I predicted 20 odd MP sensor from the very start and I'm sticking with my prediction.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014

This is a tough one, if it is lower resolution I could see this ending up around $4500-5000 to compete more with the A9, which makes it a little more understandable.

But outside of that, for almost all of my uses Canon has really sold me on high-speed 45mp. My R5 is my primary camera, over the 1DX2, mostly for that reason, and if this camera ends up lower than 45 megapixels, I'm likely going to just buy a second R5 and put a battery grip on it. BSI is nice, but my R5's silent shutter doesn't significantly bother me as is, and I've gotten plenty of great action shots and birds in flight with the silent shutter.

I've been a lifelong fan of the 1-series, and far prefer a solid, built-in grip over a battery grip, but the R5 is just *so* good it's really gonna take a lot to justify spending 1000s more on a lesser spec when I could be spending the same money on new RF glass. I'm kind of coming to terms with that, to be honest. It would be nice to have two of the same camera and not have to worry which one I pick up.

I know the point of this camera is for a similar market to the 1D, which I've always understood doesn't particularly need much resolution. But I've always been in that market, as someone who works with newspapers that downsample everything to just 2 megapixels for print, and I have been *blown* away by how much more I can crop an image and still make the front cover of a print paper thanks to 45 megapixels. That's a value that I can't really dismiss, and I've found it to give me far more use than just adding FPS.

Upvote 0
This camera seems like it was meant to be the R1 but then the A1 threw a wrench in that plan so Canon made it an R3 knowing they needed a high-MP/fast FPS camera to match A1 (and Z9). Although who knows, maybe this was Canon's plan all along.

I was thinking A9 lineup was likely dead after the A1. But now an A9III could easily go up against this R3. Sony would have no problem throwing 35+FPS at a 24-35MP stacked sensor with upgraded eye-af. Sell it for $4500 like the previous A9 lineup and you've undercut the likely price of the R3 ($5.5-6K) by a lot and matched or bested it on the spec sheets. The R3 will have the advantage of the integrated grip which Sony will never do. So if you like integrated grips then the R3 may be worth the premium.

The R1 will be interesting to see. I'd guess the earliest would be Winter Olympics 2022??

Upvote 0
*Most* of the things I've needed to record over the pandemic (which got me into videography) have been longer than 30 minutes.
Interviews
Weddings (like a documentary recording)
Church Services/Sermon recordings
Conference presentations

I realize there are lots of things that don't need long-form recording capability, but there are lots of things that do, and I've found cameras with artificial record time limits are more trouble than they're worth in those situations.

It was enough of an issue that I went and bought a used C300.
I’ve heard that in some parts of the world, there is a tax on equipment that can record 30 minutes or longer because it’s considered broadcast equipment, I believe that is why the cap.

Either that or they just want people to purchase the more expensive EOS Cinema gear….

Upvote 0

RMac

R6ii 5DSR 5Diii 7D M5 C300
I’ve heard that in some parts of the world, there is a tax on equipment that can record 30 minutes or longer because it’s considered broadcast equipment, I believe that is why the cap.

Either that or they just want people to purchase the more expensive EOS Cinema gear….
This formerly was the case due to EU tax laws. Those tax laws phased out mid-2019, though, so at this point to the best of my knowledge, it's an artificial limit Canon imposes. It's worth pointing out that Sony has essentially eliminated this limitation in their cameras for some time now.

Upvote 0
Funny to note from the side-view, the LP-E19 is actually somewhat wider than the camera itself. Especially when you consider that the space after the right-side of the HDMI port is all empty space where the flip-screen fits into the frame.

Also, with that said, the viewfinder doesn't look like it takes anymore space than the 1DX when you compare it to the LP-E19. The only difference is that there's more space between the eyecup and the back of the camera, since the camera is skinnier, which gives you even more room to not hit your nose on the camera.

View attachment 198032
Could you share the link to the video where the above image came from? I can find no other images of the side of the camera? It's now released but the image shows the flap over the RJ45 network plug confirming the LAN light showing on the front.

Upvote 0