CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
The good
Able to use speedlites with electronic shutter
LP-E19 battery
better IBIS
I am sure AF will be better than R5

My biggest disappointment so far
CF-e and SD card - why Canon why? May be it is your goal to disappoint people in one way or other. (for those who argue that SD cards are cheaper than Cf-e please do your research. There is not much price difference between comparable SD-UHS ii and CF-e cards)

My speculations
This is not going to be a high megapixel. This will be most likely a 25MP + or - 5 MP camera
Price is going to be $6k USD
This is not a competitor to Sony a1. So no Canon is not undercutting any competition in fact the opposite is true

I decided to hold off buying R5 expecting R3 is going to be at least a 45MP camera but sounds like most likely I will have to buy a R3
Did you mean, "buy an R5 after all?"

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
The record limit being removed is not for scenes would be my guess. A lot of professionals do long format recording for interviews, shows, and corporate events. An unlimited record limit would prove invaluable for those professionals. That said, these professionals are probably doing external recording to a monitor like the Ninja V+ anyways.
Or are employing cinema dedicated cameras.....

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Battery guys, would you rather have two R5 batteries or the 1dx style. I’ve grown fond of the R5 grip and battery, other than the FPS dropping at under 50%.

4260 vs 2700mah
I'd rather have the LP-E19. It's a higher voltage battery. It may be anecdotal but it is one of the reasons the 1 Series cameras could focus big whites faster. Makes a huge difference in target acquisition. My R5 with a grip reminds me of my 7D Mark II when it comes to big whites... It was the reason I sold it. I can't wait for the R3

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
You do not compare them correctly. The 2700mAh battery has 50% more voltage. So their Wh of the two R5 batteries are almost the same with R3's and 1DxIII's battery.
Which brings up the question of why they insist on rating batteries in mAh instead of Wh or mWh. It would make some sense if the user had control of the voltage and it truly was an issue of current times hours, but they do not. And people are buying batteries because of the energy they expect to get out of them, not the charge (in coulombs!).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I'd rather have the LP-E19. It's a higher voltage battery. It may be anecdotal but it is one of the reasons the 1 Series cameras could focus big whites faster. Makes a huge difference in target acquisition. My R5 with a grip reminds me of my 7D Mark II when it comes to big whites... It was the reason I sold it. I can't wait for the R3
it's not a higher voltage battery. it is 3 batteries in parallel (LP-E6* batteries are 2 in parallel). Batteries are spec'd at their typical voltage which is 3.6V - 3.8V. The LP-E19 is 3.6V*3 = 10.8V. The higher mAh rating reflects the 3p config as well. Battery impedance increases as batteries discharge, age or when it's cold .. so yes, apples to apples, a 3p battery will perform better under all circumstances than a 2p (assuming Canon uses the same battery cell tech for both)

• Haha
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
I never understood what people like about SD cards. SD cards are so flimsy. An SD card will break if you put it into your back pocket together with your keys.
I don't think that's advisable for any memory card...
SD cards are everywhere(even my first digital camera used it), some phones have microSD slots some laptops even have SD card slots I've never broke one and even Mike Drew can't seem to break them.

For CFExpress it is a 100$ just to get a decent reader, it runs hot and I have to pay attention not to forget that at home otherwise all that speed gets lost via USB-C transfer from the camera.

If you are anxious about SD cards as a backup, just buy one with a big capacity and don't take it out of the camera. It's really not a big deal.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
it's not a higher voltage battery. it is 3 batteries in parallel (LP-E6* batteries are 2 in parallel). Batteries are spec'd at their typical voltage which is 3.6V - 3.8V. The LP-E19 is 3.6V*3 = 10.8V. The higher mAh rating reflects the 3p config as well. Battery impedance increases as batteries discharge, age or when it's cold .. so yes, apples to apples, a 3p battery will perform better under all circumstances than a 2p (assuming Canon uses the same battery cell tech for both)
They are not in parallel they are in series that's why it has higher voltage. In parallel they would be 3.6V !!!

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
*Most* of the things I've needed to record over the pandemic (which got me into videography) have been longer than 30 minutes.
Interviews
Weddings (like a documentary recording)
Church Services/Sermon recordings
Conference presentations

I realize there are lots of things that don't need long-form recording capability, but there are lots of things that do, and I've found cameras with artificial record time limits are more trouble than they're worth in those situations.

It was enough of an issue that I went and bought a used C300.
Imagine that, buying a video camera for shooting video. You might be on to something.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

i'm sorry I got it wrong .. it is a higher voltage battery, 3 cells in series
They are not in parallel they are in series that's why it has higher voltage. In parallel they would be 3.6V !!!

Yes .. you are so right !!! they are in series. I wrote it as 3.6 x 3 - but called it as parallel. my bad

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
*Most* of the things I've needed to record over the pandemic (which got me into videography) have been longer than 30 minutes.
Interviews
Weddings (like a documentary recording)
Church Services/Sermon recordings
Conference presentations

I realize there are lots of things that don't need long-form recording capability, but there are lots of things that do, and I've found cameras with artificial record time limits are more trouble than they're worth in those situations.

It was enough of an issue that I went and bought a used C300.
To be fair, overheating is much more of a problem than the recording limit.
An external recorder solves both pretty well in one go, if the camera screen it set to shut off - although one needs to rely on that micro-HDMI port to work and looking at the R3's port arrangement, I'm not sure if they've changed it...

Upvote 0
I said “waiting for”... not in the market for. But why are you wasting time reading this if you are not interested in either camera?
Not a waste of time when studying what is and what is not available. As a Canon user I am considering going with a Nikon Z6II as my interest is more landscape and spending an extra $500 on an R6 is a waste for my purposes as I have no interest in video. But, buy the time I am ready to go mirrorless, maybe Canon will have something more appealing to me and I will stick with Canon. Studying the entire market may or my not be a waste of time, but it is my time that would be wasted.

Upvote 0
Having a stronger battery is the one thing that I would like to see for the R5 and I remember the 1DIV being able to drive the 500mm a lot longer than the 5Ds. With the speed dropping quickly on the R5 as the battery drains I really have to pull the battery after it is about 50% depleted. I'm pretty sure the R3 will not have that issue.....but I will not be getting it since I really don't like the huge cameras anymore, guess I will have to live with buying a few more batteries since I doubt there will be a better battery coming out again for the R5.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
This may well be a 20MP camera but it would put me off buying it if it is. They should put a 50MP sensor in it and be done with it. They can keep 100MP for the R1.
I think it will be at least 30 MP for two reasons:
1) People moaned that the R6 had lower MP than the EOS R.
2) DCI 6K+ internal RAW

Upvote 0
The good
Able to use speedlites with electronic shutter
LP-E19 battery
better IBIS
I am sure AF will be better than R5

My biggest disappointment so far
CF-e and SD card - why Canon why? May be it is your goal to disappoint people in one way or other. (for those who argue that SD cards are cheaper than Cf-e please do your research. There is not much price difference between comparable SD-UHS ii and CF-e cards)

My speculations
This is not going to be a high megapixel. This will be most likely a 25MP + or - 5 MP camera
Price is going to be $6k USD
This is not a competitor to Sony a1. So no Canon is not undercutting any competition in fact the opposite is true

I decided to hold off buying R5 expecting R3 is going to be at least a 45MP camera but sounds like most likely I will have to buy a R3
How do you know it is 1x SD and 1x CF card and not either 2x SD or 2x CF cards like you prefer?!

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
CF-e and SD card - why Canon why?
My only guesses are:
1) SD cards are more convenient and affordable
2) CF Express Type-B cards generate a lot of heat

I still think it is a bad decision but it did not stop me from buying an R5.
That makes me part of the problem.
Canon managed to put 2 CF Express Type-B slots in the 1DX Mark III so they handled the heat somehow in one of the most weather-resistant cameras ever made.

Upvote 0