More features and specifications for the Canon EOS R3 have emerged

Jul 21, 2010
CF and SD is less of an issue than CFExpress to SD. My CF cards are 90MB/s and 160MB/s, while SD is sitting between 95 and 300. GFExpress? Even the cheap ones are at 800mb/s, and it's not that much more expensive to go to 1200 or even 1400.

It's a massive gulf in performance that's really going to show
Agreed. I like the dual-CF in my 1D X, which I have set to write RAW to both cards for redundancy. With an SD slot on the R3, I fully expect that will affect long bursts (if not acquisition, then clearing the buffer). So I'll write RAW to the CFexpress and jpg to the SD as an emergency backup.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Based on everything I'm reading People believe the R3 will be a low resolution camera. Low in the sense of 24 to 30 meg. In order for Canon to compete with Sony and kick their butt in the market place. Canon has to put a camera out that will rival what Sony is making.
I believe the R3 will be 50-60 meg camera and the R1 will top out at something crazy like 75 to 100 meg. Canon has the sensor tech. They have had the tech for some time now. I also believe the camera will ship in July if not sooner.
I sure hope you are correct and most everyone else is wrong. I would be happy with the current R5 45mp sensor, yet with faster readout. If the R3 comes out with a 20-30mp I will be disappointed and may just hold off until the R1. For my shooting requirements I need a souped up R5 which the R3 I hope will be.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Not that anyone seriously believed that this didn't have a mechanical shutter, but a video from Canon Korea shows the mechanical shutter over the sensor while the camera is turned off, like in the R5.

View attachment 198047

Thats a good thing,. I ike on my R5 when you shut off the camera the shutter covers the sensor makes for easier lens swapping and less dust on the sensor.. Still don't understand why Canon has held back on releasing the mega pixel count on the R3, It seems clear that there are some pre productions units already out in the field... Tokyo Olympics are in 50 days..

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I sure hope you are correct and most everyone else is wrong. I would be happy with the current R5 45mp sensor, yet with faster readout. If the R3 comes out with a 20-30mp I will be disappointed and may just hold off until the R1. For my shooting requirements I need a souped up R5 which the R3 I hope will be.
But the 1DX III has a DIGIC X and 20mp at 20fps, the R3 also has DIGIC X, how do you expect that one processor to process more than twice the resolution 150% faster?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
It seems clear that there are some pre productions units already out in the field... Tokyo Olympics are in 50 days..
Y'know, I'm sure Canon has rules about using preproduction models for image releases, but if we don't know by then I would be interested to see the file resolutions that Getty Images uploads from the Tokyo Olympics.. I'm sure they could require them to downsize images to hide the resolution of the camera, but it would be amusing if a ton of Getty Olympic images with an unattributed camera happened to be a new resolution like 40 MP or 50 MP :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
But the 1DX III has a DIGIC X and 20mp at 20fps, the R3 also has DIGIC X, how do you expect that one processor to process more than twice the resolution 150% faster?
I don't think you can read into camera specs *too* much to determine what Canon can and can't do with a processor. A single DIGIC X processor in the EOS R5 already pushes 8K raw video at 30 frames a second. That's very close to doing twice the resolution 150% faster in a raw output, it's clear the 1DX mark III isn't pushing that processor to the limits in any way.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I don't think you can read into camera specs *too* much to determine what Canon can and can't do with a processor. A single DIGIC X processor in the EOS R5 already pushes 8K raw video at 30 frames a second. That's very close to doing twice the resolution 150% faster in a raw output, it's clear the 1DX mark III isn't pushing that processor to the limits in any way.
I think the R5 8k experience is precisely why the R3 won’t come close to it.

The R5 and 1DX III share a processor, the 1 series can do what it does all day long every day for years, the R5 can overheat in under 30 minutes. I think the R3 is positioned closer to the 1 series in concept and there is no way Canon want to relive the storm in a teacup the ‘overheating’ drama caused and totally overwhelmed the release and stated performance envelope of the camera.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
You don’t have to be a fool to neccesarly want to recover 8 stops of light. Cameras still today don’t have the same dynamic scene/range of what your eye sees when you are viewing something beautiful with a high dynamic range but wish to capture it as close as possible to the experience.
Sorry, I didn't want to offend you personally, really. But 8 stops is more than huge! I sometimes have to recover 2-3 stops, if the DR is high, but that's already the limit.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
I think the R5 8k experience is precisely why the R3 won’t come close to it.

The R5 and 1DX III share a processor, the 1 series can do what it does all day long every day for years, the R5 can overheat in under 30 minutes. I think the R3 is positioned closer to the 1 series in concept and there is no way Canon want to relive the storm in a teacup the ‘overheating’ drama caused and totally overwhelmed the release and stated performance envelope of the camera.
I completely agree with your, "Canon surely doesn't want to relive the overheating drama, once again", privatebydesign. I, also think it would be fair to assume you have a camera tech savvy well above the average Canon rumor Joe, validated by some of your many posts here, amplifying your understanding of tech issues on a level that escape some of us, myself included. It is also refreshing, on rare occasion, when you have been wrong and I notice you immediately man up and just admit that, when pointed out, that an opposing opinion was correct, after all. Nevertheless, I always enjoy your take on the issue at hand but hope that Canon pleasantly surprises you and the rest of us with a higher R3 MP than what you expect, even if you don't care if it has it. One thing we can all agree on, I'm sure, is that the R3 looks to be one heck of a camera and we cannot wait for Canon to bring it on. The anticipation and excitement is contagious as we wait for it.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
It's a pretty basic step of logic. The camera clearly needs a cfexpress card; if it doesn't, why does it have the slot? They're less common, and apparently cause overheating. If you didn't need that performance, you'd never even consider putting one in

So if it's needed, then there's going to be cases where you have to write data at 800mb/s+. So, that SD card is going to be an absolute boat anchor if the camera does either simultaneous writeback, or swaps halfway through a shoot

Given that this isn't going to be a cheap camera, and that CFE and SD are about the same price, then why wouldn't you give it to CFE slots? It's a thing in the 1dxiii and the Sony A1, so don't tell me it's impossible.
I would also prefer to see 2 identical CFExpress slots, and I assume Canon would prefer it if it was practical at this time.

The reason I'm guessing they don't is simply "heat dissipation". The CFExpress slot & card runs very hot. They already have heat buildup issues with the R5. Adding a 2nd CFExpress would only make that much worse on the R3. Since the R3 has a much bigger body, battery and price, it would be easy to justify 2 CFExpress cards on size, battery draw & price, so this is the only big reason I see to not having 2 of them.

A second possible minor reason is that they intend to have 2 CFExpress slots in the R1 (with more design time and/or smaller sensor MPs so that it can better handle the heat issue) and thus give more reason to sell the future R1.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
A realistic scenario could be around 30Mp but with H+ speed having the same restrictions bitwise unfortunately (13 at some high rate and 12 bit at 30fps) . But this high rate could be say 16fps with a H 14 bit capability at say 10 or 12fps instead of the 8fps of R5.

Unless they use a double digic X which I somehow doubt because this will be left for the R1 most probably (but we never know...)

Upvote 0