More features and specifications for the Canon EOS R3 have emerged

Jul 28, 2015
So yes it is crippled somewhat, but there are reasons for it (to make it more reliable as they claim) and it will be fully usable in the real world.
This is what bores the hell out of me when people start whining 'WAAAAH! Its crippled' and 'Canon only want to protect their XXX camera'.
They place no thought into why the specs are what they are and every manufacturer bar none puts things in higher grade models that are not in lower grade models.
I guess what they really mean is 'Why can't I buy a 1Dx3 for the price 90D'. Ho hum.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
A realistic scenario could be around 30Mp but with H+ speed having the same restrictions bitwise unfortunately (13 at some high rate and 12 bit at 30fps) . But this high rate could be say 16fps with a H 14 bit capability at say 10 or 12fps instead of the 8fps of R5.

Unless they use a double digic X which I somehow doubt because this will be left for the R1 most probably (but we never know...)

While I was thinking about the R5's 8k raw at 30 fps, I realized that 8K in a video aspect ratio works out to be about 33 megapixels of data. So I feel pretty confident that the R3 is capable of being around full frame raw 30-36 megapixels depending on how Canon slices it. Maybe Canon will do ~32 just to meet the new standard for resolution of APS-C cameras.

Let's not forget the M6 did 32mp bursts at 30 FPS, albeit not in the most useful way possible.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
The R5 and 1DX III share a processor, the 1 series can do what it does all day long every day for years, the R5 can overheat in under 30 minutes.
And Canon do this time after time - every model since the 5Dii (that introduced video) has been met with howls of derision over an unimpressive spec sheet but when it finally gets to market over months people start reporting how it is a massive improvement in the ergonomics and functionality that makes their life more enjoyable and so worthwhile. So suppose you are a wildlife shooter and the R3 were to solve all the glitches that you don't like on the R5 - for example it has an integrated grip that handles battery than an add-on camera grip, batteries that lasts 4 times longer, does not overheat, has virtually unlimited buffer and better AF and is more rugged. How much would that premium be worth? My guess is 1-1.5k for a professional or a 'take-it-through-all-sorts-of-cr@p' enthusiast.
So I think the resolution would be anywhere between 30-45MP with little else: at the latter I would seriously be in the market. At the 30MP end would be a toss-up between the R5 and R3 but still worth it to many.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I would also prefer to see 2 identical CFExpress slots, and I assume Canon would prefer it if it was practical at this time.

The reason I'm guessing they don't is simply "heat dissipation". The CFExpress slot & card runs very hot. They already have heat buildup issues with the R5. Adding a 2nd CFExpress would only make that much worse on the R3. Since the R3 has a much bigger body, battery and price, it would be easy to justify 2 CFExpress cards on size, battery draw & price, so this is the only big reason I see to not having 2 of them.

A second possible minor reason is that they intend to have 2 CFExpress slots in the R1 (with more design time and/or smaller sensor MPs so that it can better handle the heat issue) and thus give more reason to sell the future R1.
Certainly they could do dual CFe, that’s what the 1D X III has. But remember when that camera launched and Canon ram promotions including a free CFe card and a reader? Likely they don’t want to do that again, and are including SD as an easy upgrade path.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
And Canon do this time after time - every model since the 5Dii (that introduced video) has been met with howls of derision over an unimpressive spec sheet but when it finally gets to market over months people start reporting how it is a massive improvement in the ergonomics and functionality that makes their life more enjoyable and so worthwhile. So suppose you are a wildlife shooter and the R3 were to solve all the glitches that you don't like on the R5 - for example it has an integrated grip that handles battery than an add-on camera grip, batteries that lasts 4 times longer, does not overheat, has virtually unlimited buffer and better AF and is more rugged. How much would that premium be worth? My guess is 1-1.5k for a professional or a 'take-it-through-all-sorts-of-cr@p' enthusiast.
So I think the resolution would be anywhere between 30-45MP with little else: at the latter I would seriously be in the market. At the 30MP end would be a toss-up between the R5 and R3 but still worth it to many.
I 100% agree with the first part, time will tell for the second!

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
How are does Digic X processor compare with the processor of an iPhone? Beating an iPhone when it comes to processing power is the least I would expect in a $6000 or so camera.
Well, the iPhone has a tiny sensor. Not a valid comparison.

Upvote 0

emailfortom

Full time sports shooter
CR Pro
Mar 17, 2014
East Coast US
Based on everything I'm reading People believe the R3 will be a low resolution camera. Low in the sense of 24 to 30 meg. In order for Canon to compete with Sony and kick their butt in the market place. Canon has to put a camera out that will rival what Sony is making.
I believe the R3 will be 50-60 meg camera and the R1 will top out at something crazy like 75 to 100 meg. Canon has the sensor tech. They have had the tech for some time now. I also believe the camera will ship in July if not sooner.
If Canon can make the R3 as advertised, include a 45meg sensor that works better than the R5 in low light - I'm sold!

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
After seeing these specifications along with SD and CFExpress cards I am on the fence if I should buy R3 or not. I am still waiting for the official announcements to learn more, but at this stage I would like some insights into the following:

1) What exactly does Canon mean that the DPAF has enhance tracking for people and animals? Is the tracking significantly better than the R5. Is the enhancement quad-pixel AF?

2) Can the electronic shutter be used at speeds other than 30 fps like 10 fps or 20 fps? Many times I have a need for 10 fps and silent shutter and just do not need 30 fps.

3) Lastly, what is the resolution of the sensor? I a still hoping for 30 MP, but my gut is saying it may not be

I'd wager 20MP. The fact that they're not trumpeting the resolution is pretty suggestive that it's not an exciting spec, so staying the same as the R6/1DXiii wouldn't surprise me in the least.
Canon never "trumpets" resolution when announcing a camera. Just use common sense. Between the R5 and R1.

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
The EVF seems very very protruding compared to the 1DXmkIII.
I'm not a pro nor user of such a body, but could be an issue to store it intoa bag no?
No more than any other camera. If the bag is large ennough for the body the eyepiece shouldnt be a problem. Its smaller than the 1Dx3 in every diminsion

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
While I was thinking about the R5's 8k raw at 30 fps, I realized that 8K in a video aspect ratio works out to be about 33 megapixels of data. So I feel pretty confident that the R3 is capable of being around full frame raw 30-36 megapixels depending on how Canon slices it. Maybe Canon will do ~32 just to meet the new standard for resolution of APS-C cameras.

Let's not forget the M6 did 32mp bursts at 30 FPS, albeit not in the most useful way possible.
Video bit depth is only 10 bit, vs 14 for stills, so the individual image size is larger for the still image even with the same resolution.

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
*Most* of the things I've needed to record over the pandemic (which got me into videography) have been longer than 30 minutes.
Interviews
Weddings (like a documentary recording)
Church Services/Sermon recordings
Conference presentations

I realize there are lots of things that don't need long-form recording capability, but there are lots of things that do, and I've found cameras with artificial record time limits are more trouble than they're worth in those situations.

It was enough of an issue that I went and bought a used C300.

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
It's still easier to find a SD card if you're desperate . Likely the only reason I would consider it a useful feature.
Yeah one can not find those CFe cards in every region with ease, especially with fast continuous write speeds. Max write speeds, maybe. But not compatible fast write speeds for video.

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
No dual cf express card slot is disappointing for a pro camera. Please Canon not again a 20/21 MP sensor. We are in 2021 and anything below 40 MP would also be disappointing.
We are in 2021 and CFexpress B cards at 300mBs continuous is still difficult to find anywhere locally. Maybe those slow ones for everyday computing. Buy the 300mBs continuous write speed isnt found at your local Best Buy

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
"Most of us" aren't in the market for either the R1 or the R3.
True. I got the R6 and have not looked back. Amazing low light and getting good big prints out of it. I am sure i will drool over the R3 and R1 but i certainly dont need them

Upvote 0
I guess what they really mean is 'Why can't I buy a 1Dx3 for the price 90D'. Ho hum.
Yes, that's what I'm thinking when reading some of this strange comments here...

I can't justify buying the R3 as a hobbyist since my DSLR is totally fine and still a great camera. The R3 won't make me a better photographer anyways. But maybe in 5 years I will be able to buy a refurbished R3. And than I will be a happy shooter, no matter the MP count of this camera. And you know what? I will only use one single SD card! Know why? CFexpress is way too expensive and I will never take 30fps on a daily basis. And a modern sd card never failed on me...

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0