More Images of the Canon EOS 7D Mark II

At this point I can't wait for the announcement, I want to know more about the sensor and the price.

I'm hoping sample images will show at least some IQ improvement over the 70D, this will be the main discriminative to help me decide whether to purchase the cheaper 70D or the more expensive 7D2. Yes I know they belong to quite different classes, but either of the two will open my way into photographic areas practically inaccessible to my beloved old yet still valid 5D2, I have to admit I'm a bit excited...

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
AccipiterQ said:
drmikeinpdx said:
Just small incremental upgrades. Not much to show for all the years of development if you ask me. I'll skip the mark II, thank you.

I'm really torn. One group that I talk to is saying that the 70D was only a marginal upgrade over the T2i (that I currently use). They're also saying the 7Dii is going to probably only be a marginal upgrade as well. I bought the T2i years ago when I was first learning how to shoot. But there's a lot of people on this forum saying the image quality would be massively improved over the T2i if I switched to the ii.

I'm photographing mainly wildlife, about 85% of what I photograph is birds, smallish ones. In actuality I'm only using the center focus point probably 90% of the time as well, since I'm good at getting in the range of my 400mm, and it's close enough that the center point covers most of the bird.

May skip the ii, and maybe go to a 5diii or 6d or something, since I'm not hurting for reach in the least.

My sources said, 7DII has clean IQ up to 12800ISO too.

Upvote 0
joystick5d37d2.jpg

DOes anyone know what the extra switch around the joystick is?

Upvote 0
adamfilip said:
Wow Canon really outdid themselves this time. the industrial design and style are awesome a huge departure from previous generations.. I sure am glad they are not remaining stagnant

::)

Well, actually it's probably an advantage that it's ergonomics and button layout is almost identical to the 5D mkIII as a lot of pro photogs will already be used to this layout and if they are purchasing a 7D mkII as a 2nd body they don't have to re-learn all the button layout again. It should be instinctive. Pick up and shoot.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Sporgon said:
I hope for the sake of those potential 7DII users the rear wheel doesn't feel like the 6D. I see it now has some four way function set inside it, it looks very much like the 6D outer wheel, but hopefully it won't feel like it to use.

My guess is that 4-way function is a video feature for silently changing aperture, etc., instead of the click of the main dial.

Upvote 0

Krob78

When in Doubt, Press the Shutter...
Aug 8, 2012
The Florida Peninsula
Don Haines said:
AccipiterQ said:
drmikeinpdx said:
Just small incremental upgrades. Not much to show for all the years of development if you ask me. I'll skip the mark II, thank you.

I'm really torn. One group that I talk to is saying that the 70D was only a marginal upgrade over the T2i (that I currently use). They're also saying the 7Dii is going to probably only be a marginal upgrade as well. I bought the T2i years ago when I was first learning how to shoot. But there's a lot of people on this forum saying the image quality would be massively improved over the T2i if I switched to the ii.

I'm photographing mainly wildlife, about 85% of what I photograph is birds, smallish ones. In actuality I'm only using the center focus point probably 90% of the time as well, since I'm good at getting in the range of my 400mm, and it's close enough that the center point covers most of the bird.

May skip the ii, and maybe go to a 5diii or 6d or something, since I'm not hurting for reach in the least.

The truth is usually somewhere in the middle. You will see an improvement in image quality with the 70D, it will definitely be noticeable, but it will not be earthshaking.... but the user interface is drastically different and according to those who have gotten used to it, much better.

As far as AF goes, yes, the 70D has far better autofocus, but if you just use the center point you will miss most of the advantages. What you will see is that the AF on that center point is more accurate and of course, if you go into live view, the DPAF is a huge improvement..

As far as the 7D2, nobody knows..... until people get their hands on it, you are just hearing guesses and opinions based on rumours and startlingly devoid of facts.
I notice the top dial has the unlock button in the center also, like the 5DIII. I'm glad it's taking after the 5DII ::)

Just small incremental upgrades. Not much to show for all the years of development if you ask me.
Well, if it has the AF system that is on par with the 5d3 it's a huge upgrade from the original 7D. I loved my 7d and unlike many others, I felt like the AF in my original 7d was excellent! It wasn't till I received my 5DIII that I realized how difficult the AF really was...

That, the 10fps, the increased iso capabilities (although likely not huge, it's still welcomed and wanted by nearly every original 7D owner), the Dual Pixel CMOS AF, I think it's likely to be another winner for Canon... I think current 7D owners will love it and 5D3 owners will consider it for a perfect back up.

Personally, I'm starting to think like Mackguyver, the 1dx is looking like the next back up for my 5DIII... Okay, it'll likely end up as my 5DIII the back up for my 1Dx, hehe! First, I've got to grab a new 300mm f/2.8.. ;D

Upvote 0
canon7dmarkii.jpg

Well, I hear a lot of negative about this camera but no one has put the sensor to the test yet. there were a lot of haters befor the 5D3 came out and now everyone wishes they had one. Canon targets specific groups, if you want a little of everything, get a rebel, if you want the best of everything get a 5D3 or 1DX, this camera is geared towards sports/action/wildlife, you don't need video or "touchy flippy screens". it has great upgrades such as a top of the line focusing system, 2 more FPS (which equates to a lot), a better buffering system for your bursts, gps, even a f/8 focus point whcih is something i'm most excited about because I use a Canon 400mm F5.6 with a 1.4 TC. It upgraded the things that needed upgrading. buy a gopro if you want video or some other DSLR, this is a sports shooter. As long as it comes in under 2K USD, I will be buying one.

Upvote 0

Krob78

When in Doubt, Press the Shutter...
Aug 8, 2012
The Florida Peninsula
mann1986 said:
canon7dmarkii.jpg

Well, I hear a lot of negative about this camera but no one has put the sensor to the test yet. there were a lot of haters befor the 5D3 came out and now everyone wishes they had one. Canon targets specific groups, if you want a little of everything, get a rebel, if you want the best of everything get a 5D3 or 1DX, this camera is geared towards sports/action/wildlife, you don't need video or "touchy flippy screens". it has great upgrades such as a top of the line focusing system, 2 more FPS (which equates to a lot), a better buffering system for your bursts, gps, even a f/8 focus point whcih is something i'm most excited about because I use a Canon 400mm F5.6 with a 1.4 TC. It upgraded the things that needed upgrading. buy a gopro if you want video or some other DSLR, this is a sports shooter. As long as it comes in under 2K USD, I will be buying one.
I think a lot of current 7D owners will feel the same way.. Getting the faster fps of the 1d line, the improved AF of the 5d3, especially with the dual pixel AF CMOS... hopefully improved high ISO factor, the 70d sensor did make a difference with it compared to the original 7d.. body design, much like the great 5d3...

I think it will be well received by many current owners and many more, especially after the reviews start pouring in...

Groundbreaking? Not so much when compared to current technology but when compared to the original 7D, which remember is what it is replacing, I think it will be a huge and welcomed improvement... ;)

Upvote 0
mann1986 said:
neuroanatomist said:
mann1986 said:
joystick5d37d2.jpg

Current thinking is a lever to rotate through AF point selection notes (auto, zone, single, etc.).

if that is true, bravo
Hi,
No print button?? ha ha ha ;D
Look like bye bye to my 6D... just waiting for the pricing to confirm....

Have a nice day.

Upvote 0
Krob78 said:
Groundbreaking? Not so much when compared to current technology but when compared to the original 7D, which remember is what it is replacing, I think it will be a huge and welcomed improvement... ;)

Evolution, not revolution - which isn't necessarily a bad thing ;)

Upvote 0
weixing said:
mann1986 said:
neuroanatomist said:
mann1986 said:
joystick5d37d2.jpg

Current thinking is a lever to rotate through AF point selection notes (auto, zone, single, etc.).

if that is true, bravo
Hi,
No print button?? ha ha ha ;D
Look like bye bye to my 6D... just waiting for the pricing to confirm....

Have a nice day.
There are no detents for actual locations. This is more of an analog switch. Can you say Servo AF? That would be a nice addition. I can't see where else they would do it. Maybe those direction arrows, but I like this switch better.

Upvote 0