More Images of the Canon EOS 7D Mark II

MagnumJoe

5D MK III
Dec 19, 2012
Lee Jay said:
Don Haines said:
Lee Jay said:
drmikeinpdx said:
Just small incremental upgrades. Not much to show for all the years of development if you ask me. I'll skip the mark II, thank you.

Since I skipped the 30D, 40D, 50D, 60D and 7D, this looks like a huge upgrade to me over the 20D I shot with (very successfully) all day today.

I'm shooting with a 60D and it looks like a huge upgrade :)

My biggest question is, should I get a 70D or a 7DII? Some advantages for each. I'll wait for the announcement and first tests on the sensor of the 7DII before I make a decision.

Interestingly, I was considering between 70D & 6D versus 7DII & 5DIII. I like my 20D and 5D because they basically have the same user interface. But, for what I use it for, the 6D would actually probably be better than the 5DIII (WiFi would help at times, GPS would certainly help to keep the clock accurate, the low-light focusing point is probably more useful for me than the 5DIII's advanced super-fast focusing). So my wife basically told me to suck it up and get the 7DII and 6D, and just learn to handle the UI differences. Still thinking about that, but she probably has a point.

I was thinking of the same. I sold my 6D and purchased a 5D MK III and absolutely love it. I want a second camera, I rented a 70D a few weeks ago and truly enjoyed using it during my grandson's soccer game. I like shooting wide open using a 70-200mm f/2.8 the 70D worked well and I was happy at first, but I took a quick shot with the 70D removed the lens and put it on my 5D MK III took the same shot. When I go home, I compared the two shots and of course I had to crop the 5D MK III. The 5D MK III had so much more detail and much sharper than the 70D. I really liked the video touch screen and auto focus on the 70D, but wonder how often would I really use video. This past Thursday my grandson had another U6 soccer game, and used my 5D MK III since I returned the 70D and glad I did., because it rained as they continued to play I was able to continue to shooting. So the 70D isn't an option any longer with only 1 fps better than the 5D MK III. I had big hopes for the 7D MK II mainly for the extra reach, fps and weather proof and it still may not be out of contention for a second camera. Here is a shot with the 5D MK III on Thursdays game. Suggestions are appreciated.

Attachments

• 5D3_1107.jpg
    5D3_1107.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 273
Upvote 0
MagnumJoe said:
Lee Jay said:
Don Haines said:
Lee Jay said:
drmikeinpdx said:
Just small incremental upgrades. Not much to show for all the years of development if you ask me. I'll skip the mark II, thank you.

Since I skipped the 30D, 40D, 50D, 60D and 7D, this looks like a huge upgrade to me over the 20D I shot with (very successfully) all day today.

I'm shooting with a 60D and it looks like a huge upgrade :)

My biggest question is, should I get a 70D or a 7DII? Some advantages for each. I'll wait for the announcement and first tests on the sensor of the 7DII before I make a decision.

Interestingly, I was considering between 70D & 6D versus 7DII & 5DIII. I like my 20D and 5D because they basically have the same user interface. But, for what I use it for, the 6D would actually probably be better than the 5DIII (WiFi would help at times, GPS would certainly help to keep the clock accurate, the low-light focusing point is probably more useful for me than the 5DIII's advanced super-fast focusing). So my wife basically told me to suck it up and get the 7DII and 6D, and just learn to handle the UI differences. Still thinking about that, but she probably has a point.

I was thinking of the same. I sold my 6D and purchased a 5D MK III and absolutely love it. I want a second camera, I rented a 70D a few weeks ago and truly enjoyed using it during my grandson's soccer game. I like shooting wide open using a 70-200mm f/2.8 the 70D worked well and I was happy at first, but I took a quick shot with the 70D removed the lens and put it on my 5D MK III took the same shot. When I go home, I compared the two shots and of course I had to crop the 5D MK III. The 5D MK III had so much more detail and much sharper than the 70D. I really liked the video touch screen and auto focus on the 70D, but wonder how often would I really use video. This past Thursday my grandson had another U6 soccer game, and used my 5D MK III since I returned the 70D and glad I did., because it rained as they continued to play I was able to continue to shooting. So the 70D isn't an option any longer with only 1 fps better than the 5D MK III. I had big hopes for the 7D MK II mainly for the extra reach, fps and weather proof and it still may not be out of contention for a second camera. Here is a shot with the 5D MK III on Thursdays game. Suggestions are appreciated.

Great shot in the worst of conditions. With the 5d3 just run up the iso. Ive been using zone af on the 5d3 for soccer games. It will always af on the closest thing in the box whereas the others maybe not so much. I also wouldnt think of taking a 70d into a rain shower but have done so with the 5d3 many times. I always just throw a dish towel on top just in case. Looking forward to maybe ditching the dish towel once the 7d2 arrives.

Upvote 0
[/quote]

I upgraded from a 7d to a 1dx and there is absolutely no comparison - as you'd expect for the price. If you can possibly afford it I say you only live once, so get the best. But if you can't afford it the only other camera I would recommend is the 5dM111. The IQ is almost as good as the 1dx, it just lacks the frame rate for sports IMO, and at half the price it's a bargin. Suggestion with the soccer photos. I used to shoot wide open but now I stop down to 6.3 or 7.1, because I prefer to get all those other players chasing in focus, it adds more drama to the shot, and you can always blur them later in photoshop if that's the look you want for a particular shot. Also you will get many more keepers stopping down.

Upvote 0
RodS57 said:
The listed specs show slots for CF and SD cards. Without getting into the technical superiority of CF cards can anyone tell me, based on experience with other dual slot cameras if a CF card is required. If have over 110 gigs of class 10 SD cards but no CF cards.

Thanks

Rod,

To answer your question... NO. You would not NEED a CF card. SD cards will work just fine, but...

The problem with SD cards is that current cameras have a very limited write speed to SD. Even if the SD card is rated to be very fast it does not matter. Cameras are actually able to take advantage of superfast CF cards which will allow you more frames during a burst before the buffer fills and you must pause shooting while it clears.

I'm not sure technically why the SD card writability of the camera is slow... someone else on here who is more tech savy can explain that. All I know is that I don't like SD cards in my cameras with dual slots.... Buffer fills up way too fast. I never use them. I wish canon would just install dual CF slots.

Upvote 0
Canon1 said:
RodS57 said:
The listed specs show slots for CF and SD cards. Without getting into the technical superiority of CF cards can anyone tell me, based on experience with other dual slot cameras if a CF card is required. If have over 110 gigs of class 10 SD cards but no CF cards.

Thanks

Rod,

To answer your question... NO. You would not NEED a CF card. SD cards will work just fine, but...

The problem with SD cards is that current cameras have a very limited write speed to SD. Even if the SD card is rated to be very fast it does not matter. Cameras are actually able to take advantage of superfast CF cards which will allow you more frames during a burst before the buffer fills and you must pause shooting while it clears.

I'm not sure technically why the SD card writability of the camera is slow... someone else on here who is more tech savy can explain that. All I know is that I don't like SD cards in my cameras with dual slots.... Buffer fills up way too fast. I never use them. I wish canon would just install dual CF slots.

Thanks for the info. Right now, the 7D2 is the only camera on my radar with a CF slot. If I remember correctly the 6D uses SD cards as do my other options.

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
Canon1 said:

Supposedly, this camera can support UHS-I, which can reach 90MB/second of write speed, theoretically.

Upvote 0
RodS57 said:

Thanks

The 5DIII has one CF, one SD card slot like the 7D2.
I think this is a great arrangement. I write RAW to a fast CF card and simultaneous small or med JPG to the SD card, which is an eye-fi card.

This strategy gives me RAW for later, and instant medium jpg which goes wirelessly to my android and to the online storage. The JPGs are immediately available for SM needs, and the RAWs can be processed later.

The wifi can be turned off in camera when you don't want instant processing/review.

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
cranster63 said:
I upgraded from a 7d to a 1dx and there is absolutely no comparison - as you'd expect for the price. If you can possibly afford it I say you only live once, so get the best.

Well, to me, the 1DX is the last Canon I would own, even if they were all the same price. I just can't stand the 1-series bodies. Too big, too heavy, can't remove the useless portrait grip.

But if you can't afford it the only other camera I would recommend is the 5dM111. The IQ is almost as good as the 1dx, it just lacks the frame rate for sports IMO, and at half the price it's a bargin.

My application for a crop camera is fast action. My application for a full-frame is low-light, generally very slow action. That's why I'm thinking 7DII + 6D. The 6D is actually somewhat better in low light than the 5DIII - about 1/2 stop better high ISO performance, and that center point can focus in two stops lower light.

If I had to have only one body, it would be the 5DIII, hands down. But I actually have to have two, and given that, I'm thinking [70D or 7DII] for action + 6D for low-light and stationary subjects (like portraits).

Upvote 0

Richard8971

"There is no spoon" - Neo
Oct 4, 2011
Tucson, AZ
www.Oldpueblophotos.com
If what we see is true it looks like the "logical" step for a replacement for the 7D. It's a couple of years late but still looks reasonable.

I won't rush out and buy one UNLESS it has superior noise control over other crop sensor cameras, which I doubt it will. Being a crop sensor it will have noise that FF lovers will still scoff at.

But in terms of a crop sensor camera it looks like it is separating itself from the field like the 7D did back in 2009 when it was introduced.

Personally I hope the buffer is impressive and that it handles noise well. Until then I will keep using my 7D until it breaks or gets ripped off... LOL

D

Upvote 0
talicoa said:
weixing said:
mann1986 said:
neuroanatomist said:
mann1986 said:
joystick5d37d2.jpg

DOes anyone know what the extra switch around the joystick is?

Current thinking is a lever to rotate through AF point selection notes (auto, zone, single, etc.).

if that is true, bravo
Hi,
No print button?? ha ha ha ;D
Look like bye bye to my 6D... just waiting for the pricing to confirm....

Have a nice day.
There are no detents for actual locations. This is more of an analog switch. Can you say Servo AF? That would be a nice addition. I can't see where else they would do it. Maybe those direction arrows, but I like this switch better.

Maybe it lets you toggle on instant DPAF tuning of phase AF :D so that all one shot mode AF'ed shots (or if not all, maybe like 3997 out of 4000 are in perfect focus now with any lens).

Upvote 0
RodS57 said:
Thanks for the info. Right now, the 7D2 is the only camera on my radar with a CF slot. If I remember correctly the 6D uses SD cards as do my other options.

Every once and a while SanDisk, et al, have crazy deals on cards, so I wouldn't consider the fact that you already have SD cards as a factor for whether you get a 7D2 versus something else... (Not that you said you were...)

Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2010
MagnumJoe said:
The 5D MK III had so much more detail and much sharper than the 70D.

Should not come as a surprise. Even low quality lenses like the 17-40 shine on the 5D3/6D but appear very bad when mounted on APS-C cameras. It's just a matter of pixel density.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=687&Camera=736&Sample=0&FLI=0&API=0&LensComp=687&CameraComp=453&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0

Upvote 0
Woody said:
MagnumJoe said:

Should not come as a surprise. Even low quality lenses like the 17-40 shine on the 5D3/6D but appear very bad when mounted on APS-C cameras. It's just a matter of pixel density.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=687&Camera=736&Sample=0&FLI=0&API=0&LensComp=687&CameraComp=453&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0

This could be caused by high ISO or small aperture as well. ISO 3200 is fine on 5DIII, but 70D. And f/11-16 would be fine on 5DIII, but give diffraction blur on the 70D

Upvote 0

MagnumJoe

5D MK III
Dec 19, 2012
Etienne said:
Woody said:
MagnumJoe said:

Woody, I agree with you, I should have known. Here are the photos I was referring to.

Attachments

• IMG_2847.jpg
    IMG_2847.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 268
  • 5D3_0949.jpg
    5D3_0949.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 286
Upvote 0