More information on the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III [CR2]

Why not, isn’t 6k around 19 megapixels?
Really?

Video is usually a 16:9 format, and sensors are 3:2, the 16:9 video can come from the full width but not the full height. If you have a 19MP 16:9 image taken from a 3:2 sensor you need 25.2MP for the full sensor. I'll let you do the math.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Some people must enjoy exposing their ignorance. The link at the bottom of my post will be dead by tomorrow as National Geographic shuts the site down but for anyone interested in whether the 1DX2 can be used for wildlife, click the link. That's not to say that a quieter shutter would not be helpful but for now it's manageable.

Jack

For birding the 1DX noisy shutter would easily scare many species even in the so-called silent mode. It's a big deal and one thing less to try and work around with cameras like the A9. If they had a silent mode as least as quiet as the 5D4's it would be a decent compromise if you could still shoot at say 5-7fps.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 28, 2012
In most situations it hasn't worried me. Although I have been in positions (an open vehicle in close proximity to lion, leopard, wild dog and elephant) where I have opted not to shoot with the 1dxii, lest I potentially stirred the pot. At close distances most DSLR's will make enough noise to attract attention. But as Jack has said, more often than not you are at a distance with a long lens and the issue doesn't arise.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Really?

Video is usually a 16:9 format, and sensors are 3:2, the 16:9 video can come from the full width but not the full height. If you have a 19MP 16:9 image taken from a 3:2 sensor you need 25.2MP for the full sensor. I'll let you do the math.
I love all the sharing and caring around here...folks doing maths for us and all. :)

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Ive used both previous 1DX and 1dx 2 on wildlife, you have to be very careful with nervous subjects, an occasional single shot in " silent mode" ( not very silent) . It depends on what wildlife you are shooting I guess, but take it from me, I and many others can now get shots which would be impossible with a noisy shutter , and only by using a Sony A9 with 20 fps in silent mode, a wildlife photographers dream ;) I can also use Sony A9 with my Canon prime lenses with MC-11 adaptor

I like to trust but verify. Can you post some of the photos you have taken with the A9 which were impossible with the 1dx?

Thanks in advance
[/QUOTE]

I never ever NEVER EVER found the shutter to scare ANY wildlife in ANY part of the world. Never Ever. No bird. No mammal. NONE

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I like to trust but verify. Can you post some of the photos you have taken with the A9 which were impossible with the 1dx?

Thanks in advance

I never ever NEVER EVER found the shutter to scare ANY wildlife in ANY part of the world. Never Ever. No bird. No mammal. NONE
[/QUOTE]

WOW - I'm not sure I'd go that far. :) I did verify that a flash will cause very fast reactions in small birds like chickadees! ;)

Jack

Upvote 0
Apr 1, 2016
well, depends on what and how you shoot wildlife. I photograph mainly African mammals and have never ever seen a big cat or elephant even blink when hearing multiple loud shutters go off at once ;)

when shooting birds in a hide I could image a fully silent shutter is very beneficial.

And I'd love to have the option available for some of the events I shoot professionally

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
The problem of the Touch Bar is that people didn't know how to use it and tried to give it functions that it is bad for. It's not a wheel, and it's horrible for settings like ISO or exposure compensation where you need feedback like clicks. What it's good for is gestures. Not many people are used to having that on their camera so were slow to adopt it and I was similar. I primarily shoot architecture with tilt shift lenses hand held! Tap left it toggles the level, tap right it toggles the histogram, swipe right it zooms in, swipe left it zooms out.

Now that I'm used to it I hope they put it on every camera they make.
OK, you convinced me to give it another try....
I also quite often use the 24 TSE, exclusively handhold, so the touchbar could indeed be programmed for displaying the electronic level.
PS: If only Canon had put the 5 d IV's level into the EOS R...instead of this monster!

Upvote 0
They should have made a mirrorless 1DX III , Canon is so far behind the curve :sleep: It's fine if your shooting humans or sports where noisy shutters don't matter, but useless for most wildlife

Guess all those excellent photos taken with the EOS 1/1N/1V and Nikon F/F2/F3/F4/F5 just never happened because wildlife were scared off by the noise of shutters, mirrors and film-winding motors...

Meanwhile, the silent shutter is the one interesting aspect of the A9 and it's a semi-crippled feature...

• Haha
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
They should have made a mirrorless 1DX III , Canon is so far behind the curve :sleep: It's fine if your shooting humans or sports where noisy shutters don't matter, but useless for most wildlife

Yeah, those loud mirror slappers are so useless for wildlife! There's never been a single decent wildlife photo taken in the history of photography until Sony came along, right?

You ever heard of a blimp?

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Here you go Goshawk from 10 metres , one of the most difficult wildlife subjects to get close to, Taken from my hide , where I spent many months for this shot .
It seems to be looking at you. Shutter isn't silent enough?

(also, I hope you have a not overexposed image too. Would be a pity to spend many months in a hide just to come up with this)

• Sad
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
A lot of the discussion about new features on these recent threads seem to gravitate towards the extremes.

The cameras we have today allow us to get great results under a variety of circumstances. That does not mean that new features provide no benefit. In certain circumstances, the current gear has some room for improvement left. If you could get better results under a greater variety of circumstances without requiring more practice, that's a positive thing to me, even if those circumstances don't concern me.

Nobody NEEDS IBIS, nobody needs more dynamic range, more megapixels, faster AF, more FPS, smaller files, silent shutter, smaller lenses, and so on. There are work arounds for most circumstances. But for other circumstances, some of these features may help some people.

Modern features aren't really about enabling new circumstances, they are about making them easier to handle. And it's fine if you personally have the skill or technique or experience to handle everything you want with current gear. But if new tech makes things easier for people who lack that or saves time by avoiding going for the work arounds, it is still worthwhile to some people.

And on the other hand, just because it is more difficult or inconvenient to achieve something with current gear, than it has to be, it is still not completely useless. If you won't put up with these compromises or the added practice require red, that's fine. But there are people who go to these lengths and they should be a knowledged as well.

If the only options for an opinion about a certain feature / capability of a camera are 'it works' and 'it doesn't work' these discussions are pointless. Some things work well for certain use cases and not so well for others. And for some people it is a problem if something doesn't work as well, for others it isn't.

I'm sure we all know that,aybe we should think about it more often though. The forum gets so boring reading all these "I need it, therefore everybody needs it" and "I don't need it, therefore nobody needs it" perspectives.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Here you go Goshawk from 10 metres , one of the most difficult wildlife subjects to get close to, Taken from my hide , where I spent many months for this shot . View attachment 187308
[/QUOTE]

Not this kind of blimp:

1572524460706.png

This kind:

1572524422309.png

• Haha
Upvote 0
A key factor with wildlife is how close you are and whether you are hidden. Certainly noise is generally not desirable but sometimes it really doesn't matter. A long lens places the noise at quite a distance so it's less problematic and of course many birds, like hummers, don't fear getting shot anyway. Yes hyperbole is annoying but best ignored. I usually do.

Funnily enough the only time an animal was spooked by my gear making a noise was my sister's cat and it was the lens's autofocus that sent him running - I guess he could hear the ultrasonic motor and didn't like it!

Or they just noticed that scary pipe is now pointing them ,who knows :p

Yes, a much more common reaction I've found is certain bird species take flight when you point a long lens at them - I've always assumed it resembles a gun to their eyes, as it's only been species that are hunted or persecuted here, chiefly woodpigeon and crows. I found that lifting the lens away from them and then pivoting was much less objectionable to them than lifting and immediately pointing in their direction.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
yesterday i shooted tits 1-3meter distance with RP and i think they flinched.
Or they just noticed that scary pipe is now pointing them ,who knows :p
I think good photographers shoot first more far with camera so birds get used to sound

I think the animals are more afraid of a big human figure walking towards them with the scary pipe.

• Haha
Upvote 0