More information on the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III [CR2]

For birding the 1DX noisy shutter would easily scare many species even in the so-called silent mode. It's a big deal and one thing less to try and work around with cameras like the A9. If they had a silent mode as least as quiet as the 5D4's it would be a decent compromise if you could still shoot at say 5-7fps.

It's not a big deal. Birders have used the 'noisy' 1dx and Nikon D's for the last decade in the field and come back with amazing, world class images. Silent shooting is frankly overrated for most wildlife photography. Most of the time wildlife is already aware of the presence of humans and tolerate it as long as you're far enough. Hence the use of 600's, 1.4 TC and 2x TC.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2018
It's not a big deal. Birders have used the 'noisy' 1dx and Nikon D's for the last decade in the field and come back with amazing, world class images. Silent shooting is frankly overrated for most wildlife photography. Most of the time wildlife is already aware of the presence of humans and tolerate it as long as you're far enough. Hence the use of 600's, 1.4 TC and 2x TC.
yep but when you not pointing animal with camera and not moving they may think you harmless and stop keeping eye you.
Then you slowly turn your camera toward them, they may miss movement.
and now when you fire with noise they glance toward you and see you pointing them.
That point they become supriced and make sudden move or scared and escape.
With silent shoot it may taked some seconds or minutes untill they see you point them .

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
yep but when you not pointing animal with camera and not moving they may think you harmless and stop keeping eye you.
and now when you fire with noise they glance toward you and see you pointing them.
With silent shoot it may taked some seconds or minutes untill they see you point them .

Frankly, the fact they look at you when you fire the shutter is a good thing. Wildlife photographers for decades have got the eye contact shot because wildlife looks to where the sound is coming from and give you the opportunity to get strong eye contact. With a silent shutter I have seen wildlife photographers do all sorts of unethical things to get that eye contact.

I've had more than 10 years of shooting in Africa and India (and over 25 of being a naturalist). I can count on one hand the number of times I've been able to creep up on wildlife without them knowing. It's very hard to do...even in a hide, they are aware of your presence. They also get used to the sound of the shutter. What wildlife doesn't tolerate is sudden movement towards them. That's what spooks them. If you know how to handle yourself in the field there is no reason a loud shutter is going to prevent you from getting 'the shot'. It might in fact help you in some cases (especially with large mammals)

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
They don't understand that in English, "shooting" has more than one definition.
They obviously don’t know English. The highway department used to put up signs that said “Deer Crossing.” But the deer couldn’t read them, and didn’t know where to cross. Now those signs have been replaced with pictures of deer, so they can understand. But then so can the predators.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
They obviously don’t know English. The highway department used to put up signs that said “Deer Crossing.” But the deer couldn’t read them, and didn’t know where to cross. Now those signs have been replaced with pictures of deer, so they can understand. But then so can the predators.

Maybe we need to start ESL classes for the wildlife.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
I think we need more news on the camera - this thread is getting crazy.

Jack
I guess they have to keep something as a surprise or to have the ability to change their mind. If we know how many Mpixels it will be we practically know everything important on 1DxIII. And there is the issue with other vendors. They may not want to disclose more.

P.S I always admire your woodpecker photos :)

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
The problem of the Touch Bar is that people didn't know how to use it and tried to give it functions that it is bad for. It's not a wheel, and it's horrible for settings like ISO or exposure compensation where you need feedback like clicks. What it's good for is gestures. Not many people are used to having that on their camera so were slow to adopt it and I was similar. I primarily shoot architecture with tilt shift lenses hand held! Tap left it toggles the level, tap right it toggles the histogram, swipe right it zooms in, swipe left it zooms out.

Now that I'm used to it I hope they put it on every camera they make.
Really happy I read your post!
I disliked the Mfn Bar, switched it off.
But thanks to your post, I decided to program it the way you did!
And: now I love :love: it !

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012

Nothing like that. NOpe.

Upvote 0