Multiple APS-C Sensor PowerShot Cameras Coming? [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
We know that the Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark III will be coming soon, though an exact date is unknown. One of the big changes rumoured in the new G1 X is the <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/canon-powershot-g1-x-mark-ii-specifications-cr1/">use of a 24mp APS-C sized sensor instead of the 1.5″</a> in the current G1 X.</p>
<p>We’re being told that there will be more APS-C sized sensor PowerShot cameras coming and that the G1 X Mark III is first, and then we’ll get a G3 X Mark II and a G5 X Mark II. The source is not sure if the smaller G series PowerShot cameras like the G9 X and G7 X will move to APS-C.</p>

<p>There was no mention as to whether or not the new PowerShot cameras would get 4K recording, which is something we obviously get asked a lot. Our hunch on the topic? I think Canon has to add 4K to at least a few of the models.</p>
<p>As <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/buyers-guide-category/powershot/">you can see on our buyer’s guide</a>, the upper end of the PowerShot G series lineup is starting to look quite long-in-the-tooth.</p>
<p><em>More to come…</em></p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>
<div style="font-size:0px;height:0px;line-height:0px;margin:0;padding:0;clear:both"></div>

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Sharlin said:
Oh my. If the first APS-C body from Canon to get 4K turns out to be a PowerShot? I expect some people are going to explode :eek:

I think that too, but how can they NOT at this point? While I personally don't care about 4K. From a marketing standpoint, it's getting to the point of incompetence.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
I can understand that Canon is moving those pro/enthusiast cameras upmarket.
Better IQ and customers willing to pay more for that improvement.
I was wondering before what kind of lens the G1 X III might get and how much bigger it will become

Canon Rumors said:
... The source is not sure if the smaller G series PowerShot cameras like the G9 X and G7 X will move to APS-C...
To me this is out of discussion. I'd expect them to stay at 1" sensors.
G9 X and G7 X live from their size: as small as possible with good optics and good IQ.
I would be very surprised to those with APS-C. And if so I would expect lenses the same size but then with worse optical data (FL/aperture/IQ).

Only reason to do so would be to use self-made sensors instead of the 1" ones of Sony.

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
scyrene said:
I wonder how they'll deal with heat generation if 4K is included. Bigger sensor, small body, this could be a problem, right? (Disclaimer: I gather this entirely from what I've read, I have no direct experience of Powershots or 4K).

The may expect the average user won't make long videos shooting from a rigged camera on tripod or other support. I guess the batter would also cut them short too...

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Sharlin said:
Oh my. If the first APS-C body from Canon to get 4K turns out to be a PowerShot? I expect some people are going to explode :eek:

It would not surprise me in the least.... Quite often, features are introduced on lower end models, probably because they have shorter update cycles.....

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Don Haines said:
Sharlin said:

It would not surprise me in the least.... Quite often, features are introduced on lower end models, probably because they have shorter update cycles.....

The PowerShot G7 X Mark II was the first camera to get Digic 7.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
neuroanatomist said:
Don Haines said:
Sharlin said:

The PowerShot G7 X Mark II was the first camera to get Digic 7.

True enough, although it isn't exactly a user-visible feature, and AFAIK it's not really well-known to which extent PowerShot and EOS DIGICs are comparable and how much "DIGIC" is just a marketing label.

Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2010
Canon Rumors said:
We’re being told that there will be more APS-C sized sensor PowerShot cameras coming and that the G1 X Mark III is first, and then we’ll get a G3 X Mark II and a G5 X Mark II.

If the G5X Mark II receives an APS-C sensor with a 24-100 f/1.8-2.8 lens, it will explain why Canon is not interested in releasing fast lenses for their APS-C MILC bodies. Sounds very enticing to me.

Upvote 0
Maximilian said:
Canon Rumors said:
... The source is not sure if the smaller G series PowerShot cameras like the G9 X and G7 X will move to APS-C...
To me this is out of discussion. I'd expect them to stay at 1" sensors.
G9 X and G7 X live from their size: as small as possible with good optics and good IQ.
I would be very surprised to those with APS-C. And if so I would expect lenses the same size but then with worse optical data (FL/aperture/IQ).

Only reason to do so would be to use self-made sensors instead of the 1" ones of Sony.

1.5"?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
rrcphoto said:
powershots always get digic's first. probably beacuse, just as a guess, shorter product development times

Digic 3 first appeared in the 1DII. Digic 4 was first used in the 50D. Digic 5 launched in the PowerShot S100, and Digic 6 in the PowerShot SX280 HS.

So, 'always' is not the word you want to use here.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
CanonLITA said:
Maximilian said:

1.5"?
Sorry, but what do you mean?
Using 1.5" instead of 1.0" now?
==> Still the Camera/lens would become bigger.

Or do you mean, I am wrong with 1" for G7/9 X?

==> See here:
https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/products/details/cameras/point-and-shoot/advanced-cameras/powershot-g7-x
[quote author=Canon]
... the sensor: a large and light-grabbing 1.0-inch, 20.2 Megapixel* High-Sensitivity CMOS sensor ...
[/quote]

Upvote 0
Maximilian said:
CanonLITA said:
Maximilian said:

1.5"?
Sorry, but what do you mean?
Using 1.5" instead of 1.0" now?
==> Still the Camera/lens would become bigger.

Or do you mean, I am wrong with 1" for G7/9 X?

==> See here:
https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/products/details/cameras/point-and-shoot/advanced-cameras/powershot-g7-x
[quote author=Canon]
... the sensor: a large and light-grabbing 1.0-inch, 20.2 Megapixel* High-Sensitivity CMOS sensor ...
[/quote]

I mean that also in your hypothesis ("use self-made sensors instead of the 1" ones of Sony") I would expect G7/G9 to move to 1.5" sensor rather than ASP-C (which was the rumor we were commenting on: "The source is not sure if the smaller G series PowerShot cameras like the G9 X and G7 X will move to APS-C..").

I think that offering a really poketable option makes a lot of sense from a commercal prespective, even though I personally look at other specs, including sensor size.

Upvote 0