Multiple APS-C Sensor PowerShot Cameras Coming? [CR2]

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
CanonLITA said:
I mean that also in your hypothesis ("use self-made sensors instead of the 1" ones of Sony") I would expect G7/G9 to move to 1.5" sensor rather than ASP-C (which was the rumor we were commenting on: "The source is not sure if the smaller G series PowerShot cameras like the G9 X and G7 X will move to APS-C..").
Got it, thank you.

I think that offering a really poketable option makes a lot of sense from a commercal prespective, even though I personally look at other specs, including sensor size.
I am quite interested in a camera in the size of a G7 X or even smaller.
Bad point is that you can't get anything good with a viewfinder - except for something with "Sony" on it.
And I had my experiences with Sony products...

Upvote 0
Woody said:
Canon Rumors said:
We’re being told that there will be more APS-C sized sensor PowerShot cameras coming and that the G1 X Mark III is first, and then we’ll get a G3 X Mark II and a G5 X Mark II.

If the G5X Mark II receives an APS-C sensor with a 24-100 f/1.8-2.8 lens, it will explain why Canon is not interested in releasing fast lenses for their APS-C MILC bodies. Sounds very enticing to me.

24-100 1.8-2.8 for APS-C would be insanely huge if technically feasible. Think about EF-M 15-45 and that's already quite a chunk for a PowerShot.

Upvote 0
mb66energy said:
Please, Canon, send us (or me) a Powershot G5X UW with a f/4.0 16-35 equiv (10-22) IS lens with stellar IQ.

For those like me who really like ultra wides but only for some photos / situations. With a compact outline it would a nice solution which fits into a lens compartment in a small backpack.
As there is zero chance of this lens coming with a Powershot G5X, the closer that would be EF-M11-22mm "stuck" in an EOS-M camera. Maybe Tamron 10-24mm F3.5-4.5 VC?
lenscomparo2.jpg

Upvote 0
Jun 9, 2017
Woody said:
Canon Rumors said:
We’re being told that there will be more APS-C sized sensor PowerShot cameras coming and that the G1 X Mark III is first, and then we’ll get a G3 X Mark II and a G5 X Mark II.

If the G5X Mark II receives an APS-C sensor with a 24-100 f/1.8-2.8 lens, it will explain why Canon is not interested in releasing fast lenses for their APS-C MILC bodies. Sounds very enticing to me.

Probably not going to happen. I really dont see a reason for a lens like this with the camera, size issues inc.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
mb66energy said:
Please, Canon, send us (or me) a Powershot G5X UW with a f/4.0 16-35 equiv (10-22) IS lens with stellar IQ.

For those like me who really like ultra wides but only for some photos / situations. With a compact outline it would a nice solution which fits into a lens compartment in a small backpack.

wouldnt be that compact. probably around the same size as an M with the 11-22 then.

Upvote 0
BasXcanon said:
The G5Xm2 does not have to be equipped with a zoom. Could be a 28/35/40mm Equivalent with a very large iris.
Sony and Fuji have fixed lens compact priced at 1800-4000$ and don't even have swivel-touchscreens.
A G5Xm2 with stellar prime at 700-800$ would be fairly fitting the market.
You're a wonderful man.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I doubt that a major change for a 1 in sensor powershot to APS-C would result in the camera using the same basic name, but it has happened before with the 1D series.

Canon buys those 1 in sensors from Sony, so they might want to use their own sensor.

If it happened, lenses would become either larger or slower (smaller apertures). Even if the lens is slower, the large area of the sensor might compensate enough to improve low light usage considerably.

I would certainly be interested in getting a powershot with APS-C or better yet, FF sensor.

Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2011
Canon Rumors said:
Sharlin said:
Oh my. If the first APS-C body from Canon to get 4K turns out to be a PowerShot? I expect some people are going to explode :eek:

I think that too, but how can they NOT at this point? While I personally don't care about 4K. From a marketing standpoint, it's getting to the point of incompetence.

Amen.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
As for 4K, it can be implemented on almost anything. However, a quality implementation is a different story. We went thru the same discussion several years ago with 2K. There were cheap implementations that were shams, but many bought into them based on the 2k specification without really knowing they were not getting a quality implementation. That's when the 5D MK II blew them all away.

Things are a bit different now, there are some good quality 4K cameras out there along with the sham devices.

Upvote 0

Andreasb

CR Pro
Mar 24, 2017
I'm not interested in 4K movies. And I don't think I'm alone. If you want that there are plenty of choices around.
I would like to see the upcoming (?) G5 X II to have a much better lens that isn't so soft in the corners and better overall performance, less shutter lag, better fps and buffer. 24 MP AP-c would be amazing but I doubt they can fit that in such a small body. So I will settle for a 1 or 1.5 inch sensor. And if it has these improved features: Yes, Canon I will be first in line to buy one!

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
My travel cameras have been an S95, then S120, and now G7X II. I have taken good pictures with all of them. The S120 is small enough for me to throw in as a backup when I go on a long trip. The G7X II is at the upward end of what I consider pocketable. If I wanted something between it an my Rebel, I'd go mirrorless, I guess. Or maybe I could just put a nice pancake lens on the Rebel to travel sort of light.

The S120 would fit in my shirt pocket if nothing else was in there. The G7X II is just enough thicker that it won't. But it is fine for a jacket or pants pocket, though at the limit of what I'd want to put in the latter. So I don't think I'm likely to go for a G-class camera with an even bigger sensor.

I think the move to a so-called 1" sensor was worth the extra lens bulge and the loss of zoom between 100 and 120mm equivalent. (The increase in resolution is such that cropping a 100mm shot on the G7X II to the same coverage as 120mm on the S120 still gives more pixels than the full S120 shot.) (Using TV camera tubes from the '50s as the standard for digital sensor measurement strikes me as really odd.)

Right now I have two pictures I made in Scotland with the G7X II printed out on 13" x 19" paper lying nearby, waiting for me to put them into the frames to hang in my hall gallery. Looking at them close up, the only problem I see is with the landscape: I might have overshapened a bit for printing, so that some features on the ground in the right part of the picture look a little too prominent. That will likely be toned down enough in the fame and being viewed from a normal distance. If not, I think I still have the file I used for printing, and I could go back and mask (or partly mask) that area on the sharpening layer and reprint. It is certainly no problem with the camera or sensor itself. The chapel interior shot you may have seen in a thread here on DR and/or HDR, since it has detail in the murky corners without washing out the stained glass windows.

Between the quality of these pictures and of my recent eclipse pictures made with my Rebel and marginal 75-300mm zoom, I'm wondering why I'm contemplating spending $2,000, plus maybe a kit lens, to get a FF.

Upvote 0
Oct 10, 2015
stevelee said:
My travel cameras have been an S95, then S120, and now G7X II. I have taken good pictures with all of them. The S120 is small enough for me to throw in as a backup when I go on a long trip. The G7X II is at the upward end of what I consider pocketable. If I wanted something between it an my Rebel, I'd go mirrorless, I guess. Or maybe I could just put a nice pancake lens on the Rebel to travel sort of light.

I bought a G9 X Mark II on the spring. I considered also the G7 X Mark II but when I took it in my hand it was like holding the EOS M, not like a small camera. I d not carry it on picket but on the belt.

I doubt it would make any sense to try to put APS-C sensor in these small cameras. Similarly with G3 X the size would become excessive. It already is very large. Canon lacks a small camera with one inch sensor and extended zoom. Panasonic has one with 10x zoom. On the G1 X follower it would be good. I do not think there are compact cameras with zoom and APS-C. Some hope for one with a prime but that would be a marginal product that would not fit to the Canon line.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2012
This camera could be a very interesting product for me if it has a decent 24MP sensor, a good short zoom and reasonable fps and prosumer robust build.

I doubt that will happen but if it did I would be able to shoot the bulk of my commercial work with it.
A leaf shutter lens is still the best solution for flash. As I use flash on virtually all my jobs this would be a God-send.

Upvote 0