Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Big surprise today! I have been so many times in that beach park (especially in the last 2 years), with that particular bench to seat and rest after the walk but have never seen this mushroom growing.
It's my fourth locality to see it on Oahu (20 years and I have seen it only on Oahu)! My palm spread is ~24-25cm. When I "measured" the biggest fruitbody of the first group by my palm there were 4-5cm left out of my palm! I didn't "measure" the size of the biggest mushroom in the second group (same Ficus tree trunk, other side, presumably fruitbodies of the same organism) and it looks even bigger?

Pleurotus abalonus (species of the Oyster Mushrooms, this one you have no chance to get in the stores at least here or anywhere as I know!). Very similar to Pleurotus cystidiosus from North America and few more species from Europe, Africa and Australia/New Zealand. Very weathered already: I'm really sorry for not finding them week ago - I have never tried the taste of this one and my assumption is for ~3 pounds (if not more!) when they where fresh!!!
First 3 photos are from group#1. The last one is single photo of group #2...

Very impressive. Nice shots, ISv.

Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
One more from yesterday - we're moving towards 'mushroom season' here with levels of humidity and rain increasing:

View attachment 201972
As I understand from your previous posts you are located in Australia - Sydney? How it looks with the weather there right now (isn't it still summer?!). Your mushroom is some species of Parasola (previously in genus Coprinus) but you have so many species of that genus there that I'm not familiar at all... In few words I'm not able to ID it to species level:)! Open your eyes for a mushrooms looking similar to my post above (could be much darker and smaller!). It's the area for Pleurotus australis and we can see it (with greater probability) only from Australia and New Zealand.

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
As I understand from your previous posts you are located in Australia - Sydney? How it looks with the weather there right now (isn't it still summer?!). Your mushroom is some species of Parasola (previously in genus Coprinus) but you have so many species of that genus there that I'm not familiar at all... In few words I'm not able to ID it to species level:)! Open your eyes for a mushrooms looking similar to my post above (could be much darker and smaller!). It's the area for Pleurotus australis and we can see it (with greater probability) only from Australia and New Zealand.
I'm in Sydney, Australia, and it is definitely summer (hot, humid and wet this year) here. It's early for fungi, so I'm only capturing the occasional one around the house (this was in a large pot!) at the moment. We get a lot of varieties of Pleurotus here - although not for a month of two, and I don't think the same one as in your image. I'll PM you a link to my latest photo book of fungi in my local area, in case you're interested!

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
I'm in Sydney, Australia, and it is definitely summer (hot, humid and wet this year) here. It's early for fungi, so I'm only capturing the occasional one around the house (this was in a large pot!) at the moment. We get a lot of varieties of Pleurotus here - although not for a month of two, and I don't think the same one as in your image. I'll PM you a link to my latest photo book of fungi in my local area, in case you're interested!
Look the Internet for Pleurotus australis - you will find some photos/info. They change the color with the age. It is NOT a common fungus as far as I know!

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
Look the Internet for Pleurotus australis - you will find some photos/info. They change the color with the age. It is NOT a common fungus as far as I know!
Pretty sure we get Pleurotus purpureo-olivaceus around me - there is some (very) remnant rainforest on the walks around my area - but I'm not an expert identifier. If I see some in the coming months I'll post it.

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Pretty sure we get Pleurotus purpureo-olivaceus around me - there is some (very) remnant rainforest on the walks around my area - but I'm not an expert identifier. If I see some in the coming months I'll post it.
I's also very interesting! You don't need to be expert taxonomist to take nice (and informative!) photos. I'm not expert too - in the last 20 years I'm working very different field but still keep my curiosity:)!

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
And here is coming the real rarity (same date as above): Amanita manicata (could be also A. nauseosa - I don't think the problem is solved ...). Here is a link to the problem (if someone is actually interested :)) - http://www.amanitaceae.org/?Amanita+manicata. I have seen this one on several occasions 1-2 times in relatively good numbers (5-10!).
And species of Gymnopillus (I think it's hallucinogenic - because of the color change in the bruised stem base) - my second and last encounter with this one, on the same place (same decomposed branch)! My first (and actually more informative photos) were from my film era.

DSC_3397_DxO_DxO.jpgDSC_3404_DxO.jpgDSC_3405_DxO.jpgDSC_3410_DxO.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0