My BEAUTIFUL GF (feedback please)

Some pics of my BEAUTIFUL GF, shot many wide open do to the terrible pentagonal bokeh of the 50mm 1.8 II

Slk6G.jpg

EeLbB.jpg

oP9Om.jpg

4dduR.jpg

c428e.jpg

8KhlD.jpg

0y8U9.jpg

5zgtt.jpg

hsPZt.jpg

pDNaX.jpg

DMuzq.jpg

EukBz.jpg

RLPhoto

Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
Andy_Hodapp said:
Thank you very much, would you recommend me using my Sigma 105mm 2.8 EX DG for portrait, I just got it and was thinking it would be better for portraits?

It is a better option. I prefer the extra stop and bokeh from the 100mm f2 over that sigma though.

Upvote 0
SandyP said:
I like the 50mm for this stuff, don't change that. It will help you feel closer to the subject in the photos. You can still do some slight adjustments to distortion to help out a bit. I usually don't get TOO close with the 50mm, if it's only a headshot, I will use a different lens usually, but anything else, like almost all these, I use my 50mm a lot.

Agreed, I think the 50 is the best lens works perfectly for these types of shots. If you think the distortion is too much on some of the closeup shots, then shoot raw and use camera raw to remove the distortion (or shoot JPEG and use photoshop to remove distortion, there are profiles for the 50 1.8 so it will be totally automated).

I especially like the extreme close up shots with the 50, apparently we are in the minority though;)

Upvote 0
Bah; the brokeh here is fine -- the f1.4 is a much better lens, but at $100 what do you want? I love 50mm on a crop body, it feels "right".

As alex mentioned, shoot raw and use something that has a lens profile to remove distortion and chromatic aberration.

Are the colors intentional? Seems like the white balance is off on at least two . . . unless you did that on purpose to get a particular effect.

Upvote 0

tntwit

Enthusiastic Amateur
Mar 3, 2012
WNY
Upon the first look, all I saw was an excellent execution of artistic intent. The camera and lenses are nothing more than tools to create the intent.

I mean absolutely no disrespect to anyone on this forum and I am as likely as anyone (if not more so) to get wrapped up in the technicalities. Constructive criticism regarding technical details is always welcome (I come here for it almost daily) and certainly valuable (the poster did ask for feedback without being specific as to what kind), but I am surprised that it is the focus of the comments rather than critic of artistic execution. Photography is first and foremost an art. Maybe it's too subjective to comment on?

Just an observation.

Having said all of that, I liked the close up shots (never noticed the distortion) and in particular I like the one with the eyes offset to the left. The DOF is so shallow that even the cheeks look slightly out of focus and really makes the eyes the focus, which really pop with the color.

I loved the creativity. Keep up the good work!

Upvote 0