MY dog

I took these images of my dog when comparing my Zeiss 85mm f/1.4 to my (then) new Tamron 85mm f/1.8 VC. The conclusion that I came to was that I couldn't tell which was which, despite the Zeiss being rated as one of the most pleasing 85mm on the market, so I ended up selling it as the image stabilisation and AF of the Tamron made it a so much more useable lens.
[...]
Canon 5DS + Tamron 85/1.8. one at f/1.8 the other f/5. ISO 800. The dog is ball mad and very possessive so I couldn't get her out from under the swing seat !
Nice shots Sporgon, my favourite is the second one; with the narrower depth of field and softer bokeh at wide open aperture.
W.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
View attachment 194234

Got the RF 85mm f/2 on the RP. A family effort to get the dogs sitting for a portrait. Took a lot of shots to get here. Decided we liked the little ones tongue sticking out. Helps find her face in all that black fur. That and it’s the only one where they were sitting and looking in the same direction.

I love the tongue out too.....but that is extremely easy to photoshop out if you wanted to.

I like it tho....

cayenne

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Nice shots Sporgon, my favourite is the second one; with the narrower depth of field and softer bokeh at wide open aperture.
W.
Many thanks W. I agonised over the decision to sell the Zeiss, but honestly in blind testing a could not tell one from the other. I agree on the wider aperture in this case.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Sporgon.
I hate wet dog, we bought a Mud Daddy, it means we can rinse her off which leaves her clean and then we use a microfibre towel which leaves her nearly dry, no wet dog stink. (y)

Cheers, Graham.

I can almost sell Wet Dog from here ! Great shots, Happy New Year Graham !

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Our little dog sits faithfully by my feet most of the day. He is a bit tangled and shaggy, and loves the snow which gets is fur balled up. I took a shot of him playing in the snow, shutter was too slow, but it shows motion! The other one shows him under the computer desk, it was pretty dark so a high ISO and lots of noise The 240mm setting on my 24-240 resulted in a small aperture but I was just trying it out while standing on my front porch.

I wasn't trying to take a nice portrait, just playing with my 24-240mm RF lens after I unwrapped it, the indoor shot was with my EF 100mm Macro. I think both photos were with my R5. Just for fun!

EMWL0118.jpgEMWL0145.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Happy New Year everyone !

G1X mark 3 (with a little help from 580EX)

I miss our two big Poodles, Max and Spud. This was taken with my 3.3 MP Nikon 990 in 2001. How time flies but the memory lingers. They have long since passed away. I had a laser engraved rubber stamp made of this photo so it was upsized to match their requirements.

spud & Max adj12-06-2001.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Sporgon

CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
I miss our two big Poodles, Max and Spud. This was taken with my 3.3 MP Nikon 990 in 2001. How time flies but the memory lingers. They have long since passed away. I had a laser engraved rubber stamp made of this photo so it was upsized to match their requirements.

View attachment 194941
How time flies eh Mt Spokane !
Here is a shot of my mother's Standard Poodle (as we call the large, full size ones in England) called Toby. I took this in March 1978 on Kodachrome 64 with a Kiev 4 rangefinder camera that my father had bought for me as a Xmas present. I'd have been 17 years old at the time and you can see my shadow in the picture on the left crouching down behind the camera and tripod. I even wrote the exposure settings on the slide mount; 1/125th and f/5.6 . I can remember Toby being so obliging in posing for the picture !

0B (2).jpg

Upvote 0