NBC Olympics selects Canon as their field and studio lens provider for the Tokyo Games

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Canon to Assist NBC Olympics in Providing Viewers with Outstanding 4K UHD and HD Picture Quality During Its Coverage of Tokyo Olympics
STAMFORD, CT, June 7, 2021– NBC Olympics, a division of the NBC Sports Group, has selected Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, to provide a wide variety of 4K UHD and HD Field, Portable and Studio lenses for its production of the Games of the XXXII Olympiad, which take place in Tokyo, Japan, from July 23 – August 8. The announcement was made today by Chip Adams, VP of Venue Engineering, NBC Olympics, and Kazuto Ogawa, President, and CEO of Canon U.S.A., Inc.
A broad array of Canon broadcast lenses will be used, including the UHD-DIGISUPER 90 long-zoom field lens, which provides outstanding 4K UHD imagery. Canon’s 4K and HD lenses will be at every venue and studio in Tokyo, allowing viewers to see NBC Olympics’ presentation of all the action. In addition, Canon service technicians will be on-site in Tokyo to ensure that...

Continue reading...

Reactions: 1 users

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Good job Canon.

I know this article is for NBC USA, but wasn't there talk about 8K broadcast in Japan for the olympics? Whatever happened with that?
Both. There will be both 8k and 4k broadcast. Some broadcasters such as NHK in Japan refer to 8k as "Super high-vision". Those feeds will be available among others.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
While this is good Canon news.<P>
Considering I hear that Japan is having SO much trouble with CV...I'm really surprised they are having this.

I thought I read that the US had a travel advisory against going to Japan, or was that recently lifted.

Are they requiring all athletes and coaches to be vaccinated?

Will Japan be able to make back any money with what may potentially be empty stands and arenas?

Anyway, I've read they really have it bad over there for some reason and I'm surprised they are still going to put on that show.

cayenne

Upvote 0
While this is good Canon news.<P>
Considering I hear that Japan is having SO much trouble with CV...I'm really surprised they are having this.

I thought I read that the US had a travel advisory against going to Japan, or was that recently lifted.

Are they requiring all athletes and coaches to be vaccinated?

Will Japan be able to make back any money with what may potentially be empty stands and arenas?

Anyway, I've read they really have it bad over there for some reason and I'm surprised they are still going to put on that show.

cayenne
From what I have picked up from the news the IOC is insisting it goes ahead and the government doesn't want to be on the hook for the cost of canceling it on their end.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
As it happens 2021 would be the first year of the 700th Olympiad (starting at about June 21), had the Ancient Greek games not been put to an end by the Christian Roman emperor Theodosius in 394 (the year after the last such games). To be sure the records of Olympiads after 261 are sketchy and the games may already have fallen on hard times.

Upvote 0