ND Variable, Stacked, or Maui Jim?

JPAZ

If only I knew what I was doing.....
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2012
Southwest USA
All,

I think I know what I will do but I want some opinions. I've recently become more interested in using ND filters. I've got both a 6-stop and 3-stop 77mm B&W screw on that works on MOST of my lenses. But, my new favorite and most used lens is the 24-70 2.8 ii, and that uses an 82mm filter. So, I am thinking about an 82mm investment. Whatever I do, I'll get a step-up ring so any new filter can work on the other lenses. I would use these only for still photos and not video.

So I am contemplating: Get a variable 82mm (yeah, I know about the dreaded "X" issue) versus a couple of 82mm screw on fixed filters (I can always stack a 77, then a step up to an 82mm shooting a little wider to allow for vignetting). I am not really serious about holding my sunglasses in front of the lens.........but maybe?

I don't think I want to go with a Lee-type system because that is too much to carry for the amount of times I'd use it.

Finally, anyone have any experience with the Xume magnetic system?

As always, any thoughts from the collective experiences here are very appreciated. Then, maybe I'll need to post yet another backpack question!

Thanks in advance.

JPAZ

I tried a variable ND (Schneider) for 77mm and I ended up picking up a 10-stop B+W for 82mm. The variable ND had a much larger OD. I don't use the NDs often, but either is fine. I like having options for both 77 and 82mm without using step up/down rings because lens swaps won't necessarily mean moving all the filters/rings. I use rings for my 67 and 72 because I don't use those lenses with filters very often.

Upvote 0

JPAZ

If only I knew what I was doing.....
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2012
Southwest USA
Guess not a lot of CR's use ND filters, or at least not much opinion. At this point I am leaning towards a 77-82 Step-up ring and getting an 82mm 10-stop Breakthrough X3. What i see and hear seems very favorable. Then I still have my 77 mm B&W CPL, 3-stop and 6 stop ND.

Anyone have any experiences, good or bad, with the Xume system?

Upvote 0