Need advice, what can I do to improve?

JRS

Canon 5D Mark III
Feb 8, 2012
First time using reflectors and flash off the camera...

what do you think? what can I do to improve my pictures?

IMG_0355.jpg

IMG_0358.jpg

IMG_0359.jpg

IMG_0361.jpg

IMG_0387.jpg

IMG_0405.jpg

IMG_0418.jpg

Thanks!

Jan 29, 2011
Superb for a first try.

The one thing that jumps out at me is you are to low, images of women generally look much more appealing if you are looking down on them to a degree, not always, but in this instance I think it would have helped a lot. Other than that, watch the shadow of the glasses rim on her face, but they are very good.

Upvote 0
I'll put in another looks pretty good. I'd say you used your reflector(s) well, although I think the other 2 posters have some good comments. While the model is pretty, there's just something in the composition, or the way she's holding herself, or something so that the images generally aren't grabbing me, even though they otherwise are reasonably good. Sorry I can't zero in on it a bit more for you.

Upvote 0
Was the off camera flash below the model? I think since these seem to be going for a natural look you need to balance the ambient light with the off camera flash and the reflector better- Ie: A lot of the shadows on her face (especially shadows cast by nose) are going UP! This just looks odd and isn't flattering on an otherwise beautiful face.

I'd suggest raising the light source higher so the shadows fall more naturally.

Upvote 0
pdirestajr said:
Was the off camera flash below the model? I think since these seem to be going for a natural look you need to balance the ambient light with the off camera flash and the reflector better- Ie: A lot of the shadows on her face (especially shadows cast by nose) are going UP! This just looks odd and isn't flattering on an otherwise beautiful face.

OP was using a reflector, not a flash. Although you're point about being careful about the shadows on the face is a good one, and just as relevant with any lighting setup.

Upvote 0
Just a novice opinion, you may want to experiment on different angles. Maybe one shot from the top of the head or from below, sideways, back, sitting pose or doing some actions like walking, jumping, or anything to make it look more dynamic. You can also think of including something of interest in the background (not just bokeh) though you must make sure that it doesn't overpower the main subject. You can also shoot at a different time of the day, probably noon or night or early morning. This will give different lighting/mood to your subject. Try also having some backlight (maybe a flash or the sun). Just be extra careful in your exposure. You can also experiment on flares. Flares caused by the sun sometimes has a distinct effect on your subject.

Upvote 0
Drizzt321 said:
pdirestajr said:

OP was using a reflector, not a flash. Although you're point about being careful about the shadows on the face is a good one, and just as relevant with any lighting setup.

But the thread starts off saying: "First time using reflectors and flash off the camera..." ;)

Upvote 0
3 and 7 seem to me to be your strongest images. I'd have ditched the glasses entirely, they aren't really flattering to the model. shooting with flash and glasses can be tricky trying to keep the reflection of the light source out of the photos. I think you did a reasonable job there. All in all I'd say you did pretty good. My only advice is when using flash outdoors I find it best to accentuate/fill the natural light rather than try to overpower it especially shooting in the golden hour like it seems you did. Now if this was mid day then maybe it's time to overpower the sun and create your own interesting light. Good luck and keep having fun with it.

Upvote 0