Need affordable tripod and speedlite for indoor group photo’s.

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
Hello everyone,

I have an R6 and find myself needing a speedlite and tripod for group shots of some upcoming family events indoors and my kids band concerts.

I like the 430/600 speedlite but they are expensive for my use.

Any suggestions?
I have a set of Yongnuo flash triggers which have worked well for me, so if i was buying a speedlite now i would consider one of the Yongnuo ones. That said though, I have read a lot of positive comments about Godox (aka Flashpoint i believe) lighting gear in more recent times and I think I might well give one of their speedlites a go. I haven't actually tried them out yet though, so I cannot speak about them from experience.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Before buying, no matter from whom, please check for compatibility.
I've had a bad surprise noticing that the Nissin macro Ringflash MT 18 can't be used with Canon's 5 D IV and a few other models.
I didn't know (Amazon selling them as "for Canon") that Nissin have on their website a compatibility chart.
No surprises with Canon's second-hand speedlites. MPB sells them for very acceptable prices, and with warranty!

Upvote 0
I have four of the Powerextra brand 600EX-RT E-TTL II flashes and am happy with them. Got them off eBay. Currently going for ~$110 each. I've been using them for everything and, generally, they work well. The best part is they work with my Canon wireless trigger (ST-E3-RT II). They get a little quirky - I have to use the "open the battery door while turned on" reset but, so far, that always works. Gets the flash working again. GN 60 is nice, too. I use them with soft boxes, strip boxes, etc.

Upvote 0
I subscribe to the truism that you'll keep buying tripods and heads until you get a truly good setup, so you'll save money in the long run by just getting the good stuff and skipping the middle steps (I went through quite a few middle steps and now my main tripod setup is ~$1,500). A good tripod setup can typically last you through several camera upgrades,
https://www.routerlogin.net/
pikashow

Last edited:
Upvote 0