Need some advice from Aussie CR Members

eml58

1Dx
Aug 26, 2012
Singapore
Hi Rienz, late, too busy with the dilbert stuff.

Although I haven't lived full-time in Aus for 35 years, my Family and I visited Melbourne a few months back for a week, I hadn't been back since my Army days, a looooooong time ago, loved the City.

Melbourne is just a wonderful City for Food, especially Asian Food, Old Buildings in the City Centre.

Our best couple of days was the drive down along the Great Ocean Road, lovely scenery, some great Photo Ops all along to the 12 Apostles, weather permitting also a great area for Night time Photography.

If your driving watch out for the Aussie "Round About's", Australia's answer to a set of traffic lights, Aussies all understand the system and drive through these things with gleeful abandon emulating Schumacher Clones, a loss of nerve half way around one of these is almost a guaranteed occasion for some choice Aussie vitriol ("get your license out of a Wheeties Packet you dopey Wanker ??", springs to mind), a visit to the Panel Beaters, or worse.

It's a Beautiful Country, truly hope you and your Family have a wonderful Holiday.

Upvote 0
The roundabout comment made me laugh. Dslrdummy is right in that the actual rule is that the first vehicle into the roundabout has right of way but it's either ignored or not understood, so the practical application is that the car on the right is given priority. Sometimes they come straight through at quite some speed, so be careful and have a good look but you'll get the hang of it.

I second the advice on bringing your gear, I have bought all my major purchases from the US or Hong Kong so you may be surprised at local prices. Just think of it in terms of the prices of our hotel accommodation and you'll get the idea. It's all available, just not at US discount prices.

Upvote 0
Oct 16, 2010
I'll put in a plug for someone who helped my camera club out recently, Pele Leung - http://peleleung.com. He does photo tours around Melbourne and surrounding regions. Even if you're not a photo tour person, his website and itineries might give you a few ideas.

Otherwise, you're schedule looks fine. Being a Queenslander who only travels to Melbourne for Melbourne Cup Day, I'm not the best person to say where you must go. And chances are the places I find interesting from an Australian historical perspective - eg Melbourne Gaol, Ballarat and Bendigo are probably of little interest to international tourists. But I'll add that Warnambool is a nice place to base yourself for one or two nights if travelling along the Great Ocean Road. They also have an interesting shipwreck / laser show.

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012
Eli said:
Also camera gear in Australia is expensive, I'd suggest buying your remote before you come..
True ... I was shocked to some of the prices, in Australin online stores, almost twice that of USA ... I live in the middle east, where the prices are similar to that of Australia, so I always order stuff from USA, UK, Hongkong & Japan, as we only have to pay 5% customs for any imported items over $700, but we still need to pay minimum US$ 55 for shipping (for 3 to 5 days delivery) ... so even the cheapest timer remote, (assuming it costs around $25), will cost at least $80 (25+55) which is no longer worth it for such a small item ... so I don't mind paying around AU$ 50 for a cheap timer remote in Australia.
But I see on the net that Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 is being sold in Melbourne camera stores for $799 (and more importantly it is available) ... so I was planning on getting the Sigma + a cheap timer remote. Also, ever since the digital era began, I've only visited to 3 camera stores (as I buy everything online), so the prospect of actually going to a camera store is exciting for me.

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012
dslrdummy said:
Rienzphotoz said:
One more question:
I have the CamRanger which is capable of Intervelometer capability, but I want a cheap back-up timer remote, just in case the battery in CamRanger runs out of juice ... Does anyone know a good camera store in Melbourne where they sell cheap remote timers for 5D MK III?
There is a congregation of camera stores in Elizabeth Street in the Melbourne CBD, between Bourke and Lonsdale Streets. Compare prices and then make them do you a deal, they are reasonably competitive. Always helps if you are purchasing more than one item. Ted's is probably the cheapest overall. Enjoy your trip.
Bunch of stores in one street, sounds exciting ... I'll be sue to visit them all. Thank you very much for the tip.

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012
eml58 said:
Hi Rienz, late, too busy with the dilbert stuff.

;D ;D ;D ... yes that was quite a pleasant experience, that kept us all busy for a while ;D

eml58 said:
Although I haven't lived full-time in Aus for 35 years, my Family and I visited Melbourne a few months back for a week, I hadn't been back since my Army days, a looooooong time ago, loved the City.

Melbourne is just a wonderful City for Food, especially Asian Food, Old Buildings in the City Centre.

Our best couple of days was the drive down along the Great Ocean Road, lovely scenery, some great Photo Ops all along to the 12 Apostles, weather permitting also a great area for Night time Photography.

If your driving watch out for the Aussie "Round About's", Australia's answer to a set of traffic lights, Aussies all understand the system and drive through these things with gleeful abandon emulating Schumacher Clones, a loss of nerve half way around one of these is almost a guaranteed occasion for some choice Aussie vitriol ("get your license out of a Wheeties Packet you dopey Wanker ??", springs to mind), a visit to the Panel Beaters, or worse.

It's a Beautiful Country, truly hope you and your Family have a wonderful Holiday.
Ha ha ha "("get your license out of a Wheeties Packet you dopey Wanker ??", springs to mind)" ... LMAO :)
I am somewhat of an "expert" at navigation roundabouts, as Qatar has a million of them ... my daily commute from home to work (17 kms / 11 miles one way) involves 9 roundabouts ... everyday I see at least a dozen guys drinking coffee with one hand and driving with the other trying to navigate through the roundabouts and lots of fender benders ... if I'm lucky I get to see able bodied people, with all their limbs intact, steering with their knees or feet (I am not exaggerating - this actually happens here). But it is still a lot better than the way people drive in my home country (India). By the way, I've posted a couple of youtube videos below of some unusual stuff that you can expect to see on Qatar roads on a regular basis.
If you have any photos from Great Ocean Road / 12 Apostles, could you please post them? I'd like to get some ideas/inspiration from your images, as you always post some awesome images. Thanks in advance.
Cheetah in a Jeep in Qatar

Rain Drifting on a roundabout in Qatar!

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012
Tez said:
The roundabout comment made me laugh. Dslrdummy is right in that the actual rule is that the first vehicle into the roundabout has right of way but it's either ignored or not understood, so the practical application is that the car on the right is given priority. Sometimes they come straight through at quite some speed, so be careful and have a good look but you'll get the hang of it.

Sounds just like how we navigagte roundabouts in Qatar ... so I should feel quite at home ;D

A Doha Roundabout

Upvote 0
Rienzphotoz said:
Hello all you Aussie CR members,

DAY 1 - Melbourne Zoo
DAY 2 & 3 - Lorne , Great Ocean Road, Apollo Bay & Twelve Apostles
DAY 4 - Aquarium
DAY 5 - Dandenongs Ranges & Puffing Billy.
DAY 6 - City, Museum & a 1 hour sightseeing trip of the city on Harley Davidson
DAY 7 -
DAY 8 -
Springvale & Chadstone - Shopping Centre
DAY 9 - Werribee Zoo - open range zoo
DAY 10 - San Remos & Nobies (philip Island)
DAY 11 -
DAY 12 -
Healesville Wildlife Sanctuary
DAY 13 -
DAY 14 -
DAY 15 -

Except for Day 2 & 3 (which had to be pre-booked due to season rush), all other activities can can be changed to any other day ... also, plan on making a day trip to Sydney (fliy out very early in the morning from MEL and fly back late night to SYD).

Thanks in advance

Rien

Long time Melbournian lurker who decided to sign up after seeing this thread.

Have you checked out something like this Australia pass? I'm not affiliated with the group, but have had overseas visitors who have mentioned using something like this before. It seems to have a lot of the things on it that you want to do.
http://www.experienceoz.com.au/australian-multi-city-attraction-pass/multi-city-attraction-pass?gclid=CPOx-cakk7sCFUkdpQodVRYAlA

I suggest taking a packed lunch/snacks with you everywhere you go in Australia as take out food here is expensive.

Day 4: Aquarium = you will not need a whole day for this. 1-1.5h at most as it is tiny. To be honest I would skip it as it isn't really anything special that you can't find anywhere else in the world. When I was in the USA I went to the Baltimore aquarium, which was far larger/better than what we have in Melbourne.

I live in the Dandenong Ranges and suggest taking your time and driving through it. I would begin pre-planning some bush walks etc now as the place is quite large.

Day 9: Werribee Zoo - I highly recommend going on the small ute tour that the zoo has. Went with the wife and they drove us up to Rhino's/Giraffes.

Day 10: Philip Island: I have does the 3 park pass on the Island before. It includes Penguins, Koala conservation and Churchill Island. I suggest leaving Melbourne early in the morning and getting onto the Island and perhaps having breakfast there. Not really sure there is anything worthwhile in San Remo. Rhyll is a nice spot for lunch. Cowes tends to get overcrowd during summer/holiday times so I tend to avoid it if I can.

I would also suggest a tour through the Yarra Valley vineyards. My favourite pub (Toolangi Tavern) is in a town called Toolangi. Usually head there for Chicken Parma when visiting the Yarra Valley or Healesville. If you are in Healesville I would recommend visiting Buckley's Brewhouse - only open on weekends though.

I'll drop back into this thread later with a few more ideas when I think of them.

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012
aussielearner said:
Long time Melbournian lurker who decided to sign up after seeing this thread.
Awesome ... I'm glad my query got you to post your first one here ... welcome to CR.

aussielearner said:
Have you checked out something like this Australia pass? I'm not affiliated with the group, but have had overseas visitors who have mentioned using something like this before. It seems to have a lot of the things on it that you want to do.
http://www.experienceoz.com.au/australian-multi-city-attraction-pass/multi-city-attraction-pass?gclid=CPOx-cakk7sCFUkdpQodVRYAlA

I suggest taking a packed lunch/snacks with you everywhere you go in Australia as take out food here is expensive.

Day 4: Aquarium = you will not need a whole day for this. 1-1.5h at most as it is tiny. To be honest I would skip it as it isn't really anything special that you can't find anywhere else in the world. When I was in the USA I went to the Baltimore aquarium, which was far larger/better than what we have in Melbourne.

I live in the Dandenong Ranges and suggest taking your time and driving through it. I would begin pre-planning some bush walks etc now as the place is quite large.

Day 9: Werribee Zoo - I highly recommend going on the small ute tour that the zoo has. Went with the wife and they drove us up to Rhino's/Giraffes.

Day 10: Philip Island: I have does the 3 park pass on the Island before. It includes Penguins, Koala conservation and Churchill Island. I suggest leaving Melbourne early in the morning and getting onto the Island and perhaps having breakfast there. Not really sure there is anything worthwhile in San Remo. Rhyll is a nice spot for lunch. Cowes tends to get overcrowd during summer/holiday times so I tend to avoid it if I can.

I would also suggest a tour through the Yarra Valley vineyards. My favourite pub (Toolangi Tavern) is in a town called Toolangi. Usually head there for Chicken Parma when visiting the Yarra Valley or Healesville. If you are in Healesville I would recommend visiting Buckley's Brewhouse - only open on weekends though.

Thank you very much for all the very useful tips ... I'll be sure to incorporate your tips in my schedule.

aussielearner said:
I'll drop back into this thread later with a few more ideas when I think of them.
I'd appreciate that very much. Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0

Roo

CR Pro
Sep 12, 2013
Melbourne
Rienzphotoz said:
Hello all you Aussie CR members,

I am going on a 15 day vacation to Australia, to see your great country, starting mid December(during Christmas and New year) ... I'll be based at Melbourne and would like to make short trips to nearby areas. In addition to landscape, wildlife, city and architecture photography, I plan on capturing lots of time lapse footage (preferably where there will be lots of blue skies, clouds and clear night skies for star trail/time lapse.photography .. so, I'd like some advice on locations that you could suggest (I'll be with my 3 teen aged boys and only 1 wife :) but I don't mind getting up really early for sunrise and get back home before the family is ready for sightseeing) ... anyway here is the plan so far ... with that in mind I'd like your advice on locations/times I should go to, your advice is highly appreciated:
DAY 1 - Melbourne Zoo
DAY 4 - Aquarium
DAY 7 -
DAY 8 -
DAY 11 -
DAY 12 -
DAY 13 -
DAY 14 -
DAY 15 -

Except for Day 2 & 3 (which had to be pre-booked due to season rush), all other activities can can be changed to any other day ... also, plan on making a day trip to Sydney (fliy out very early in the morning from MEL and fly back late night to SYD).

Thanks in advance

Rien

Sorry I didn't see this sooner Rien. I'm in Melbourne and can help you out a bit.

If you are worried about getting shots of penguins at Phillip Island you can always ge some at St Kilda. There is a small colony there and you can get quite close. Photography is permitted so long as you don't use flash.

I have to go out now but I'll write more later

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012
Roo said:
Sorry I didn't see this sooner Rien. I'm in Melbourne and can help you out a bit.

If you are worried about getting shots of penguins at Phillip Island you can always ge some at St Kilda. There is a small colony there and you can get quite close. Photography is permitted so long as you don't use flash.

AWESOME! ... thanks a ton, especially for the St Kilda info ... look forward to your suggestions/recommendations ... I still have another week or so before I travel to Melbourne. Cheers.

Upvote 0
Some good advice so far. I was going to make mention of a couple of Australian things to look out for. The country is expensive particularly food and alcohol at restaurants. You don't need to tip anywhere. People are pretty friendly especially if you are friendly. I know it may seem silly but the right attitude goes a long way here ( and in life in general)
The comment about driving is correct I think most people in aus are trying to race.

In Sydney I love circular quay the area around the opera house, it's a beautiful spot in the evening watching the lights come on.

I am sure you will have a good trip if you do need to visit any camera shops in aus don't be afraid to ask if that is the best price they can do, at worst is they will say yes :)

Upvote 0
Rienzphotoz said:
DAY 1 - Melbourne Zoo
DAY 4 - Aquarium
DAY 7 -
DAY 8 -
DAY 11 -
DAY 12 -
DAY 13 -
DAY 14 -
DAY 15 -
Hi Rienzphotoz,

I am from Melbourne, and I have to say, you have a packed itinerary :)

dslrdummy said:
Rienzphotoz said:
One more question:
I have the CamRanger which is capable of Intervelometer capability, but I want a cheap back-up timer remote, just in case the battery in CamRanger runs out of juice ... Does anyone know a good camera store in Melbourne where they sell cheap remote timers for 5D MK III?
There is a congregation of camera stores in Elizabeth Street in the Melbourne CBD, between Bourke and Lonsdale Streets. Compare prices and then make them do you a deal, they are reasonably competitive. Always helps if you are purchasing more than one item. Ted's is probably the cheapest overall. Enjoy your trip.
There's one up Little Bourke with good prices (Camera Lane). The bigger ones in Elizabeth St can be a little more expensive, as they have the better locations. Worth checking out.

For night pic's either the Mornington Peninsula or Bellarine Peninsula (down near Geelong). Either way, it's about 1.5hrs drive, mostly on freeways. Just bear in mind that it's summer holiday season, and those 2 locations are jam packed. Ocean Grove or Barwon Heads would probably be the pick for me. As it is, I'm about an hours drive NE of Melbourne and I get pretty clear skies. From my backyard....
378A4770_Stars_above.jpg

Trams are handy, if you are staying in the City. Just be aware of the ticketing system, Myki, which almost works ;)

Lygon Street (Carlton), is a good place to eat. Lots of choice in many different styles of food. Easy to get to by tram from the City.

I'll try to think of other things, as they pop into my head. Have a great time :)

Cheers,

Nick

Upvote 0

Roo

CR Pro
Sep 12, 2013
Melbourne
Rienzphotoz said:
Roo said:

AWESOME! ... thanks a ton, especially for the St Kilda info ... look forward to your suggestions/recommendations ... I still have another week or so before I travel to Melbourne. Cheers.

I should have added that seeing the penguins is free at St Kilda too :D Actually you could make a pretty good time of it there. Have some of the local favourite fish and chips while you wait for the penguins to arrive dusk - we call the fish flake but it's really from gummy shark. Your trip falls into the 2 months of the year when the sun hits Eureka tower at the right angle to reflect light like in the image attached. I took it while I was waiting for the penguins a couple of years ago. Luna Park is also nearby and has the oldest continuously operating wooden roller coaster in the world.

I see you are planning to go to all 3 zoos here. Have you considered a zoo membership? It would work out to be $173 for the family. Otherwise its $30 per adult at each place plus $13 for each child 4-15 on weekdays (children get free entry on public/school holidays and weekends here). Check zoos.org.au. Make sure you take in the flight arena show at Healesville - they have a wedgetail eagle that flies low around the arena.

I'm sure your kids will love to see the Myer Christmas windows in Bourke St Mall but beware there can be long queues during the day - better off seeing them around 5.30-6pm when most people are preparing to eat at home.

As others have mentioned most of the camera shops are on Elizabeth Street. Michael's is the largest and of course has the largest range but it also has a camera museum with some interesting items to see. Ted's is smaller but ok. They will both price match but only with other Australian stores. Digital Camera Warehouse usually has the best prices here but they are about 10km out of the city. Check their website for prices to use for a price match if you do really need to buy something;)

Hosier Lane off Flinders St is the main place for Graffiti. Also check out Degraves St and Hardware Lane for some street eating scenes. The Block Arcade and Royal Arcade are historic shopping arcades that offer great architectural shots.

Attachments

• Eureka.JPG
    Eureka.JPG
    640.9 KB · Views: 696
Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012
Roo said:
Rienzphotoz said:
Roo said:

I should have added that seeing the penguins is free at St Kilda too :D Actually you could make a pretty good time of it there. Have some of the local favourite fish and chips while you wait for the penguins to arrive dusk - we call the fish flake but it's really from gummy shark. Your trip falls into the 2 months of the year when the sun hits Eureka tower at the right angle to reflect light like in the image attached. I took it while I was waiting for the penguins a couple of years ago. Luna Park is also nearby and has the oldest continuously operating wooden roller coaster in the world.

I see you are planning to go to all 3 zoos here. Have you considered a zoo membership? It would work out to be $173 for the family. Otherwise its $30 per adult at each place plus $13 for each child 4-15 on weekdays (children get free entry on public/school holidays and weekends here). Check zoos.org.au. Make sure you take in the flight arena show at Healesville - they have a wedgetail eagle that flies low around the arena.

I'm sure your kids will love to see the Myer Christmas windows in Bourke St Mall but beware there can be long queues during the day - better off seeing them around 5.30-6pm when most people are preparing to eat at home.

As others have mentioned most of the camera shops are on Elizabeth Street. Michael's is the largest and of course has the largest range but it also has a camera museum with some interesting items to see. Ted's is smaller but ok. They will both price match but only with other Australian stores. Digital Camera Warehouse usually has the best prices here but they are about 10km out of the city. Check their website for prices to use for a price match if you do really need to buy something;)

Hosier Lane off Flinders St is the main place for Graffiti. Also check out Degraves St and Hardware Lane for some street eating scenes. The Block Arcade and Royal Arcade are historic shopping arcades that offer great architectural shots.
Stellar image ... I'll try to copy what you've done (sorry for stealing the idea), it looks brilliant ... by the way what lens/settings did you use? and what time is dusk in mid and late December? so can be there at the perfect time. You got me all worked up with that image ... now I cannot come back without getting an image like that, I don't know if it'll be as good as yours but I sure as hell try.

Thank you very much for the awesome tips, I'll make sure to make good use of your useful tips, especially the zoo membership tip.

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012
Mr Bean said:
Rienzphotoz said:
DAY 1 - Melbourne Zoo
DAY 4 - Aquarium
DAY 7 -
DAY 8 -
DAY 11 -
DAY 12 -
DAY 13 -
DAY 14 -
DAY 15 -
Hi Rienzphotoz,

I am from Melbourne, and I have to say, you have a packed itinerary :)

dslrdummy said:
Rienzphotoz said:
One more question:
There's one up Little Bourke with good prices (Camera Lane). The bigger ones in Elizabeth St can be a little more expensive, as they have the better locations. Worth checking out.

For night pic's either the Mornington Peninsula or Bellarine Peninsula (down near Geelong). Either way, it's about 1.5hrs drive, mostly on freeways. Just bear in mind that it's summer holiday season, and those 2 locations are jam packed. Ocean Grove or Barwon Heads would probably be the pick for me. As it is, I'm about an hours drive NE of Melbourne and I get pretty clear skies. From my backyard....
378A4770_Stars_above.jpg

Trams are handy, if you are staying in the City. Just be aware of the ticketing system, Myki, which almost works ;)

Lygon Street (Carlton), is a good place to eat. Lots of choice in many different styles of food. Easy to get to by tram from the City.

I'll try to think of other things, as they pop into my head. Have a great time :)

Cheers,

Nick
Nick, thank you very much.
I'll be staying in Clarinda (so its not exactly in Melbourne, I'm told) ... how far would it be to Mornington Peninsula or Bellarine Peninsula?
AWESOME image and you didn't have to go further than your backyard ... me, jealous! ;D
Thanks once again for the very useful info and appreciate any other info you can provide ... I still have more than a week to get there, so I'll soak in as much info as possible.

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012
Synkka said:
The country is expensive particularly food and alcohol at restaurants. You don't need to tip anywhere.
Really? where I come from if you don't tip, you can be pretty sure that the next time you go that restaurant, there will be spit in the food (I've heard other bodily fluids being served as well) ... sick, but its true.

Synkka said:
In Sydney I love circular quay the area around the opera house, it's a beautiful spot in the evening watching the lights come on.
Thanks ... I know one day is short for any big city, but realistically, what do you think I should see in Sydney in one day ... I'm prepared to slog it out the whole day (reach Sydney before 9.00am and leave around 11.00 pm) ... my current plan is to get on the hop-on hop-off bus tour and go through the entire city (I'm assuming, that'll take 2 to 3 hours) during that ride, I can mark the places I want to visit for the rest of the day/evening. I learned this tip in Edinburgh (Scotland) several years ago.

Synkka said:
don't be afraid to ask if that is the best price they can do, at worst is they will say yes :)
I think I can do that , with a little effort ;D

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012
Hillsilly said:
I'll put in a plug for someone who helped my camera club out recently, Pele Leung - http://peleleung.com. He does photo tours around Melbourne and surrounding regions. Even if you're not a photo tour person, his website and itineries might give you a few ideas.

Otherwise, you're schedule looks fine. Being a Queenslander who only travels to Melbourne for Melbourne Cup Day, I'm not the best person to say where you must go. And chances are the places I find interesting from an Australian historical perspective - eg Melbourne Gaol, Ballarat and Bendigo are probably of little interest to international tourists. But I'll add that Warnambool is a nice place to base yourself for one or two nights if travelling along the Great Ocean Road. They also have an interesting shipwreck / laser show.
Thank you very much ... I'm interested on Pele's One Day Workshops, especially the "Night Photography Exploration - Cape Schanck, Mornington Peninsula" but can't seem to find any dates in mide to late December :'(

Upvote 0
Thanks ... I know one day is short for any big city, but realistically, what do you think I should see in Sydney in one day ... I'm prepared to slog it out the whole day (reach Sydney before 9.00am and leave around 11.00 pm) ... my current plan is to get on the hop-on hop-off bus tour and go through the entire city (I'm assuming, that'll take 2 to 3 hours) during that ride, I can mark the places I want to visit for the rest of the day/evening. I learned this tip in Edinburgh (Scotland) several years ago.

In the morning if you're keen for a walk I'd suggest heading out to do the Bondi to Coogee walk, that'll take a couple of hours, have a bite then off you go again.
Do your city sight seeing for a couple of hours, then head to circular quay, catch the ferry to Manly, and have some lunch there.
And in the evening head down to Darling Harbor for dinner, try to go to Sydney on a Saturday, as sometimes at Darling Harbor they have little events on, fireworks, giant balloon things, street performers, etc.
Don't bother going to check out the Casino, not great imo.

Upvote 0