New Canon Cinema EOS information rolling in [CR2]

I wonder what the hang-up is? There are real cameras with built-in ND with shallower mounts than RF, like the F55/5(FZ) and Fs7/II & Venice(E).
I wish I could find the schematic photo on whatever forum I saw it posted, but it looked like the current mechanical nd shutter design that Canon has been using sticks out farther than the 24mm flange distance of the RF mount. My guess is that Canon will add an RF mount and the variable ND from their EF to RF mount adapter to whatever replaces the C100 and go from there.

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2018
The internet still doesn’t have the bandwidth to stream millions of 4K movies at a time and as people have largely moved away from physical media, we’re not going to see a huge move to 4K Blu-ray. Bear in mind, manufacturers like to sell products with spec’s to wow the buying public, even if they’re not fully useable.

In delivered form most 4K doesn't take much more bandwidth than 2K. But that is becuase 4K is usually delivered to consumers in h.265 and lots of legacy devises don't support that. As for the death of 4K disks the studios have been pleasently suprised at how well UHD disks in particular have been doing. They have been rolling them out faster than they did original 2K blu-ray which suffered from the format wars.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
I really don't understand why Canon creates so many different variants. Is there really a demand for so many slight variations? Like, in the CPU/ GPU market, I get the variants as they're usually a result of sensor yields being inconsistent.
Hm, do you realy see so many different variants?
Right now the c100 is not worth to mention, so we have:
the c200 at 6k, the c300 at 10k, the c500 at 16k and the c700 at not-payable-k.
I think these 4 models all have different specs, noteable different price points and different field of work. Doesnt look like that much of segmentation.

The consumer area DSLRs is insane though =D 1200d 200d 77d... all the same cheap stuff... wtf :D

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
It's strange that films are released at sub-4K resolutions. If I walk into a store that sells televisions, the vast majority of screens are 4K. Only the bargain basement models are 1080HD. I would have thought people would want 4K content for their 4K screens.
Yeah, I would have thought so to. And its a shame, that its borderline impossible to get most content in decent quality. Netflix got realy high standards for their production pipeline - but the Streaming Quality is INCREDIBLE BAD. Its realy insane. The banding in the dark area... the loss of details in any shadows or movement.... completely unaccaptable, even at a 250mbit VDSL connection... it looks like youtube at 460p. Even DVDs look better! And thats even though we have a shared "uhd" account...

Upvote 0

RunAndGun

CR Pro
Dec 16, 2011
Yeah, I would have thought so to. And its a shame, that its borderline impossible to get most content in decent quality. Netflix got realy high standards for their production pipeline - but the Streaming Quality is INCREDIBLE BAD. Its realy insane. The banding in the dark area... the loss of details in any shadows or movement.... completely unaccaptable, even at a 250mbit VDSL connection... it looks like youtube at 460p. Even DVDs look better! And thats even though we have a shared "uhd" account...

I watch Netflix on a 55” LG 4K OLED,(internal Netflix app), 92” HD rear projection set(Apple TV) and now a 120” 4K projector(internal Netflix app)(just replaced the 92” two days ago). I’m also a cameraman who shoots HD and 4K and I see the images coming straight out of the camera onto professional and broadcast OLED monitors, so I know what good looking source material looks like and have a good benchmark with which to compare. A good looking Netflix stream of 1080p and up looks damn good. If you think it looks like old 460p YouTube videos, something is wrong somewhere in your chain.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
I watch Netflix on a 55” LG 4K OLED,(internal Netflix app), 92” HD rear projection set(Apple TV) and now a 120” 4K projector(internal Netflix app)(just replaced the 92” two days ago). I’m also a cameraman who shoots HD and 4K and I see the images coming straight out of the camera onto professional and broadcast OLED monitors, so I know what good looking source material looks like and have a good benchmark with which to compare. A good looking Netflix stream of 1080p and up looks damn good. If you think it looks like old 460p YouTube videos, something is wrong somewhere in your chain.

I dont doubt you can certainly jugde a good image. My guess is, Netflix just uses a very low bandwith here in Germany. I looked at the streaming quality at a friends tv, and it was the same. Sky and Amazon are even worse. The netflix-Rips in the internet are way better.

I attached 2 screenshots where its especialy well visible. The first one is from the witcher episode 2 around 5:44, the second is from el chapo Season 1, episode 1, around 15:02. The details in the shadows are pretty much non existant especialy in the door and around the candles. The banding in screen 2 is truely insane. Its only 5 shades of grey!
The screenshots are taken on a 4k screen, our internet is very steady with 250mbit, we pay fo Netflix UHD. The app and different browsers behave similar. So I don't think its a problem on my end. YouTube does look absolutely fine.
What I also dont like is the missing DTS sound.
I would love to see comparison screenshots, maybe you can check these example scenese. My guess, its about the bandwith netflix "gives out" to users in different areas. I guess they try to get away with the absolutele minimum where people will not complain.

witcher.JPGel chapo.JPG

Upvote 0