New EF-M Prime Likely Coming Ahead of CP+ [CR2]

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
neuroanatomist said:
I suspect hoping for any sort of standard pro zoom EF-M lens is a pipe dream.

Well, yes, the chances of getting an EF-M 'L' lens are close to zero. What I should have said was "higher-quality" than the baseline low-end zooms we have now.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
jolyonralph said:
neuroanatomist said:
I suspect hoping for any sort of standard pro zoom EF-M lens is a pipe dream.

Well, yes, the chances of getting an EF-M 'L' lens are close to zero. What I should have said was "higher-quality" than the baseline low-end zooms we have now.

The M11-22 delivers quite good optical quality, albeit with a slow aperture, and the 22/2 is no slouch. Generally, I'm not sure we'll ever see much better than that in the lineup. Among top-notch IQ, small size, and reasonable cost, the best you can do is two of three (and usually it's the last two paired up, not the first two).

Upvote 0
exquisitor said:
eosuser1234 said:
I think the quality and specs these lens and the quality of the new flash will be a key sign for what the FF mirrorless from Canon will look like. If it is a near PRO quality product with EF-M mount, than I would read that the FF mirrorless could possibly be a EF-M mount. Same goes for the mirrorless flash. If it is some 90 or 200 series, I would not read much into it, but if it is a quality 300-600series mirrorless flash, I could see it being aimed at FF mirrorless with hotshoe but no built in flash.

If FF mirrorless from Canon coming anytime soon... Besides the new lens would be probably for APS-C only, so no relevance for FF. And there are excellent flashes from Canon out there. Why not use them with EOS M now? What this "mirrorless" flash should mean?

Or they could design a 50mm that could have the EF-M mount intended for an image circle to cover full frame sensor. But they probably wont.

Upvote 0
Oct 10, 2015
CincyTriGuy said:
I have a 1Dx Mark II and a G7x. I recently went on vacation and I wanted something in between those to take with me. I figured since I already have an EF-M 18-55 I might as well just get the M6 body only and slap the 18-55 on it.

I haven't used the 18-55 mm since I got my G9 X. I see it offering nothing extra. Even the use of 22 mm has been pretty rare. I mainly use 11-22 mm and 55-200 mm and 50 mm. They offer significant extra.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
okaro said:
AvTvM said:
only lens really missing in EF-M lineup today is a compact, moderately fast short tele-prime.
EF-M 85/2.4 IS STM ... with IQ like the EF-M 22/2.0 and size like EF-M 18-55 ... here we come! 8)

But would such a lens be any smaller than the EF one?

compared to a full-frame 85/1.8 ... a slower, APS-C only 85/2.4 (or 2.8 ) should offer some potential for smaller size, yes. Beyond that focal length, diameter of front element [to achieve needed size of entrance pupil] will become the determining factor for size (and weight) however. But a sweet, little 85 might just be doable. :)

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
okaro said:
AvTvM said:
only lens really missing in EF-M lineup today is a compact, moderately fast short tele-prime.
EF-M 85/2.4 IS STM ... with IQ like the EF-M 22/2.0 and size like EF-M 18-55 ... here we come! 8)

okaro said:
AvTvM said:

Well, some of us think so. Likely, somewhat smaller than the EF 85mm 1.8. Certainly, a lot smaller and lighter than the new 85mm f1.4 IS, if it ever sees the light of day.

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
slclick said:
Please for the love of all things sacred, no more slow zooms.
LSXPhotog said:
For the LOVE of all that is holy, please make a fast zoom or prime. I would prefer a fast zoom to replace the 15-45 I have. It's a good lens for what I use it for, but having more light gathering ability and increased size isn't entirely a bad thing - look at the Fuji 18-55mm f/2.8-4 for APS-C, it's not too large and bulky.

Without being overly spiritual, I'd like to reiterate my request for a EF-M 32 f/1.8 IS and a EF-M 15-45 f/4 IS.

Upvote 0

dppaskewitz

CR Pro
Jul 19, 2011
The new prime is going to be an EF-M 28mm f/2.8 IS STM. No doubt. How do I know? Because I recently purchased the EF 28mm f/2.8 IS USM to use with my M5 and the adapter. Why? Because I wanted a moderately fast walk around lens that was closer to a "normal" focal length (I do have the EF-M 22mm but find it too wide for walking around on vacation, etc., which is where I use the M5 the most). Why didn't I get the 35mm? Because Canon refurb was out. Why didn't I get the EF-M 28mm macro? Because 2.8 is faster and if I'm going to do macro/closeup I'll use my 5DIV and 100 macro or extension tubes. By the way, the EF 28mm is a little heavy on the M5 but gives me way better snaps than the 18-55. I have also used the "new" 50mm f/1.8 with the adapter and like the results with it fairly well, but again a little long for walkaround.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
BillB said:
Well, some of us think so. Likely, somewhat smaller than the EF 85mm 1.8. Certainly, a lot smaller and lighter than the new 85mm f1.4 IS, if it ever sees the light of day.

I feel like 50s are where APS-C mirrorless still has some skin in the game to keep things physically short, but crop mirrorless 85 is beginning to get into the inflection point where you are no longer saving space.

I'm not saying there's no point to offering a dedicated crop mirrorless 85 over an adapted one, but I think you'd need to dramatically slow the lens down to keep the size reduction attractive. Barrel diameter can certainly be kept smaller with a crop only lens, but I'm not certain you'll save much length over an adapted 85 FF lens here.

Pics below of something 50-60ish vs. something 85/90-ish Fuji / EOS M vs an SL2 with a FF 85 lens. (Sorry I couldn't drop an EF 85 f/1.8 USM in there, but the website tool had neither that nor the same-sized EF 100 f/2 USM.)

- A

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-01-19 at 10.41.20 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-19 at 10.41.20 AM.png
    270.4 KB · Views: 158
Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
misleading image A ... adapted 50/1.8 STM is no suitable comparison.
also beats me, why camerasize.com does not include EF 85/1.8 or 100/2.0 ... but - very compact for a FF lens - EF 85/1.8 lens is physically about 50% longer than EF 50/1.4. with adapter it would be way bigger than an EF-M 18-55 sized native EF_M 85/2.4 IS STM ... or if no can do for "innovative Canon" ... at worst I'd also take a 85/2.8 IS STM.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
AvTvM said:
misleading image A ... adapted 50/1.8 STM is no suitable comparison.

No bias at work here, I'm just making do. I chose the 50 STM because no 50 prime exists for EF-M at that site.

My point being: no one seems to offer a compact 85-ish lens in dedicated crop mirrorless that I am aware of as it appears that it will not be a shorter lens than a compact 85 FF lens on an adapter, and the decision to make it crop-only would waive off any FF users from buying one. So it's possible the various camera/lens manufacturers see a 50 prime as working in a crop-only footprint, but they'll just leave 85s in a FF variant.

The only company that made their own was Fuji -- and they don't have FF business to fret over.

Could Canon make a compact EF-M 85? Sure. But it might be f/2.8 (as you have gathered) to be attractively small.

also beats me, why camerasize.com does not include EF 85/1.8 or 100/2.0 ... but - very compact for a FF lens - EF 85/1.8 lens is physically about 50% longer than EF 50/1.4.

I think that's because Canon were cheap SOBs when they made it -- it's an 85mm lens tucked into a 100mm body. See pic from TDP: it's virtually the same outer barrel and size as the 100 f/2, presumably done to save cost.

- A

Attachments

• Canon-Lens-Comparison.jpg
    Canon-Lens-Comparison.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 236
Upvote 0