New firmware coming for the Canon EOS R [CR1]

Dec 13, 2010
Was it you or Canon Fanboy who said it was already perfect?
I said face detect already hit the eyes, and that eye-AF didn’t really add anything. For me the improvement would be more in general tracking of the fastest movement. Or really jerky movements when in face detect. I switch quite a bit between single point and auto-select, a more intelligent auto-tracking would be cool.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I would like to see some minor features added.
A self timer:continuous mode like the M50.
The ability to attach PDoF to any button.
Remote shutter release via bluetooth connection, like the M50 again!
Ability to send RAW files to a smartphone (not just JPEGs) in a way to compensate the missing 2nd SD card slot.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

gzroxas

Canon EOS R / Travel and Landscape
Oct 3, 2018
Italy
Is be very happy if they could improve Eye AF, as well as bringing a proper intervalomenter in camera! The 80D has it, and I want to be able to control RAW files instead of having a pre-made video
Also the actual product would be 6K+
IF they can manage extra features too it would be even cooler, but usually it’s just bug fixes uff

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
Any improvements are welcome on a camera I already own. But face detection has really been just fine for me and always hits the eye. Yet I still see reviews saying it focuses on the tip of the nose? I haven't seen any reviews provide evidence of this, they just say it. People are so bad and lazy about reviewing products sometimes.

A serious area that needs improvement is the responsiveness of the AF box moving with the subject, however. It's VERY slow in this department, so it would be nice if this gets better...but believe it's a limitation of the hardware onboard.

Bring on the enhancements. The last firmware update was a major quality of life improvement for me.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
I'm unaware of the M50's functionality, but you can remotely trigger the shutter wirelessly using either your smartphone or Canon's BR-E1 remote.
Yes but for a smartphone you must use WiFi connection which eats a lot of battery juice on both.

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2018
Is be very happy if they could improve Eye AF, as well as bringing a proper intervalomenter in camera! The 80D has it, and I want to be able to control RAW files instead of having a pre-made video
Also the actual product would be 6K+
IF they can manage extra features too it would be even cooler, but usually it’s just bug fixes uff
I vote for adding an intervalometer as well, but as much talk as Canon did about changing their ways about adding features after launch it just isn't in their DNA.

EyeAF at a greater distance would be nice. It currently works pretty good in close but loses lock after more than a 3 or 4 steps back.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Any improvements are welcome on a camera I already own. But face detection has really been just fine for me and always hits the eye. Yet I still see reviews saying it focuses on the tip of the nose? I haven't seen any reviews provide evidence of this, they just say it. People are so bad and lazy about reviewing products sometimes.

A serious area that needs improvement is the responsiveness of the AF box moving with the subject, however. It's VERY slow in this department, so it would be nice if this gets better...but believe it's a limitation of the hardware onboard.

Bring on the enhancements. The last firmware update was a major quality of life improvement for me.
the focus is fine but it takes foreversometimes for the eye af to kick in. also it doesnt work with sunglasses

Upvote 0
I think it is important to realize that in the old days, when you purchased a product, it was presumed that you did your best to produce it. You put your name on it and staked your reputation on the quality of your product. If you wanted to do business in the future, you had to be willing to look your neighbor in the eye and hold your head high. If you were not willing to produce a quality product, charge a fair price related to your cost of production, and stand behind it, then you were viewed as a crook and your business was fairly assisted to failure. Times have changed.

A firmware update is a lot like taking responsibility for a product that was not finished and sold at a premium price. We did not pay thousands of dollars for old technology that is tried and true (inferior). We really are supporting Canon in their push for new technology and our purchase represents a level of faith and confidence. In affect our goodwill represents our willingness to accept a certain level of risk for them. Canon could very easily say you bought what you bought and you are not entitled to any support while we finish our product. Thereby, only making it available to those customers who waited until they got it right. It sounds like there are many customers who would be pleased with such a business and eagerly support them.

However, I am certain Canon understands that many (at least the older) customers would never invest in a camera that was produced without ongoing support and development, at least to the fair extent that the camera realized its original marketed design objectives and reasonable lifespan.

I don't expect a new sensor with stabilization, an extra card slot, and autodeployed light box. But I do expect more firmware upgrades and if slow motion etc can be enabled it should be.

Just another perspective on doing business fairly.

Happy shooting

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
firmware update to improve AF (especially eye AF and tracking) would be nice: sony/nikon already light years ahead. Canon better step up and get ready for professional R body.
Yeah, light years... Thats why Canon gets more hit rate in test... The only thing thats bad is Canons tracking display is slower than it actually tracks.
I'd rather like to see a proper intervalometer, a mode with less crop in 4K, the 120 fps mode with DPAF and user selectable if attached EF-S lenses get cropped. And bugfixes for when the camera freezes if you attach a manual lens with AF-confirmation chip.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
I would say that it was Fuji that set the photo world on the path of functionality upgrades vie FW updates. Sony was quicker to catch on with Canon and Nikon only recently rousing themselves from their slumber on this concept.

I don't think this would be unprecedented territory for Canon. Remember the firmware upgrade for the original M that drastically sped up its AF capabilities? Or the firmware update that added new features to the original 7D?

So they've done this before. The question might be now, will this become a rule with the new R-system cameras, rather than an occasional exception?

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2012
I don't think this would be unprecedented territory for Canon. Remember the firmware upgrade for the original M that drastically sped up its AF capabilities? Or the firmware update that added new features to the original 7D?

So they've done this before. The question might be now, will this become a rule with the new R-system cameras, rather than an occasional exception?
Yes, but that was well after Fuji started this phenomenon. Before that, FW updates were bug fixes and updates to the Norwegian language menus.

Upvote 0