New firmware coming for the Canon EOS R [CR1]

Got my R on April, during a trip to Japan. I am really enjoying the pleasures of evf. One thing I also liked is the touch and drag, but it could get some extra options. Using it, you feel that it could be quicker and the first thing I would like to try is an option set to the thirds. A smaller area to touch and drag will make the focus points roll faster (or work out a speed tracking sensitivity to move through the screen quicker). Smaller area would also be better to avoid cheaks and noses hitting it. Quarter of that screen is too big still. The “absolute” interface is almost useless with your eyes in the viewfinder, and I have the feeling that it would be very quick working with it. So the thirds would also be better for that.
I don’t understand why after selecting a focus point we don’t have an option where you could enable the camera to aquire focus whenever you lift the finger off the screen, instead of half press or back button focus...
Yep, seems like Canon has some work until coming up to sony’s eye track autofocus, and as always, if guys can make it get better and better, it couldnt be bad to put it out to future firmware upgrades. Seems like new M60 has an awesome movement tracking as well... and of course getting all of these updates in the R would be great! The max shooting speed is also a downside I don’t understand...
As said before, the focus bracketing in the RP would be very welcomed in the R, and I still dont get it why its not here yet.
Another thing that should be implemented is an intervalomenter for stills! Its 2019, canon!

Upvote 0
Probably because the processor has a lot more to deal with in a mirrorless camera. Sending the image up to the EVF, and doing all of the computing related to autofocusing straight from the dual pixel image sensor for example.
What’s the difference of sending data to evf or to rear screen? Or the 90 doesn’t make 120 while on liveview?

Upvote 0
You can have it less sensitive or less laggy, which do you want? The reason it's so sensitive is so that it can sense you bringing the camera up to your face even before you have it completely against your face to reduce how laggy you perceive it to be. If you made the EVF sensor less sensitive, it would be more laggy, as it wouldn't start switching to the EVF until the camera was closer to your face.

Yes ideally the EVF would just turn on faster, but I assume Canon has done everything they could to make it change over as fast as possible, so they had to also make the EVF sensor extra sensitive to reduce the perceived lag.

So again, with the current technology, you have to choose one, less sensitive or less laggy. I'm glad Canon made it as sensitive as it is to reduce the lag, even if it is occasionally annoying when it switches to EVF because my hand is too close to the sensor when using the touch screen.
I turned the screen off. Left it always on the evf and assigned fn bt to change between evf and screen.

Upvote 0