New major firmware for the Canon EOS R should arrive soon

Well, you don't describe what you tried already, but did you check pages 397 and 398 from the user guide? Specifically page 398 tells you how to hide the electronic level, maybe you accidentally switched it off?
I found the problem......I was looking at the last pages of the manual, the level doesn't work with Face Detect + Tracking on.
I should have read the manual in more detail...................

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
I found the problem......I was looking at the last pages of the manual, the level doesn't work with Face Detect + Tracking on.
I should have read the manual in more detail...................
Yeah, the level also doesn't show up on the 5D4 in live view if you have face tracking on. It's very frustrating until you figure out what the problem is. I have no idea why these cameras are like this. Not enough processing power to display a level and track faces at the same time?? :rolleyes:

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
Yeah, this frustrates the hell out of me too. I just want the EOS R to act like a DSLR as far as shooting goes... EVF for taking photos, screen for playback and menus. But they seem intent on forcing the screen to act as a live view whenever your eye is not up to the EVF.

Even more frustrating, for all their crappy menu structures, you can set up the Sonys (at least the A7 III, unsure about the others) so that they do act that way. As much as I hated the ergonomics and menus on the Sony, they were easily customized.

Upvote 0
I just returned from a week in Yellowstone. I rented a Eos R with 24-105 for a second camera to take along with my
7dmk2.
Here are my impressions.
AF is very accurate. Good in low light.
I loved the the full frame sensor as compared to my 7dmk2.
With the naked hand using the touch screen to move focus is great in live view. Through the viewfinder its a little clumsy due to reach but ok on fairly static subjects. Moving subjects make it much less effective.
With touch sensitive gloves the accuracy of moving the focus point became much more difficult. It was in single digit temps much of the time and having to remove even a thin touch glove became an issue.
I constantly had to recenter the af dot and using the trash key to do this was had to use with gloves.
I tried to use the Mf bar but it was finally quit trying as it was costing to much mental energy.
I really missed the control wheel on the back but finally trained my self to use the upper wheel.
It worked well with my EF 100-400 1.4 EX combo. focused more accurately than the 7dmk2 with this combo.

EVF Like the information provided and the simulation of exposure.
The momentary hesitation between frames means fast subject are lost.
Not a BIF camera but I new that going in.

24-105 is very sharp and i like the balance.
I found the zoom ring to be too close to the camera and to small. Many time I would adjust the zoom and move the focus especially with gloves.

Overall a very nice camera. Great quality pictures. I think this is aimed at the Vloggers, General consumers, Its not a BIF wildlife/ sport camera but I knew that going in.

For my needs I would like the combo of a new type of fast joystick along with the touch focus. Also no delay in EVF, and the a combo of the old controls and new.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I just returned from a week in Yellowstone. I rented a Eos R with 24-105 for a second camera to take along with my
7dmk2.
Here are my impressions.
AF is very accurate. Good in low light.

For my needs I would like the combo of a new type of fast joystick along with the touch focus. Also no delay in EVF, and the a combo of the old controls and new.

If there were one improvement I could pick, it would be elimination of that delay.

The touch screen sensitivity can be increased, that might help with gloves.

Upvote 0
If there were one improvement I could pick, it would be elimination of that delay.

The touch screen sensitivity can be increased, that might help with gloves.

It was sensing the gloves but I think the real issues is the gloves make a bigger fingerprint making it harder to position accurately.

Upvote 0

SereneSpeed

CR Pro
Feb 1, 2016
I started a new thread, but Firmware 1.1.0 has bean released. It's very minor. I sure hope there's more to come!

Firmware changes:
Firmware Version 1.1.0 incorporates the following enhancements and fixes.
1. Support for "continuous shooting" is available when "silent shutter" has been enabled.
2. Corrects a phenomenon in which an error may occur if there is a large number of files in a specific format on the memory card.
3. Corrects a phenomenon in which an error may occur when silent shutter has been enabled.
4. Corrects a phenomenon in which horizontal linear noise may occur when using specific lenses together with certain recording image quality settings.
5. Corrects a phenomenon in which the information displayed in the viewfinder may become abnormal.

https://www.canon-europe.com/suppor...type=firmware&firmwaredetailid=tcm:13-1776857

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I started a new thread, but Firmware 1.1.0 has bean released. It's very minor. I sure hope there's more to come!

Firmware changes:
Firmware Version 1.1.0 incorporates the following enhancements and fixes.
1. Support for "continuous shooting" is available when "silent shutter" has been enabled.
2. Corrects a phenomenon in which an error may occur if there is a large number of files in a specific format on the memory card.
3. Corrects a phenomenon in which an error may occur when silent shutter has been enabled.
4. Corrects a phenomenon in which horizontal linear noise may occur when using specific lenses together with certain recording image quality settings.
5. Corrects a phenomenon in which the information displayed in the viewfinder may become abnormal.

https://www.canon-europe.com/suppor...type=firmware&firmwaredetailid=tcm:13-1776857
Original post.

Getting information on new firmware updates ahead of time has always been a very big challenge. I assume most firmware development has a soft release date because rushing firmware is never in the best interest of customers.
We’re told that a major functionality firmware update for the Canon EOS R should arrive sometime in the first quarter of 2019. What makes the update “major” and what sort of features are going to be added were not disclosed. It was mentioned that user and media feedback is going to play a major role in future updates for the Canon EOS R and other EOS R bodies.
The source did say that it’s possible a minor bugfix firmware update will precede the major release.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Would make a lot of sense to announce the "major" firmware update with "major" functionality upgrades concurrently with the announcement of the lower tier EOS RP model. I'd think you'd want to add as much distinction between the models as possible.

One of these two machines is going into my gear collection for video production, just can't tell which yet until all this news hits.

What's really encouraging is that Canon is doing this (at least rumored) so soon after initial release. Suggests they are truly committed to speeding up their processes as their brass alluded to a year or two back in an interview.

I know this is a longshot, but I'm gonna have some silly hope that Canon puts a similar RAW feature for video (in tandem with the Atomos Ninja) that Nikon announced with the Z6. That was really something neat. And MILCs really are so well geared for video. I love how my 1DX2 does 4K, but it can be a real bear to use for video sometimes and I can record 4K out of it (how about a firmware update for that Canon?)

Upvote 0