New Member to my Canon Family

Greetings everyone!

I picked up a near mint condition Canon AE-1 Program for $100 a couple of days ago. Also started developing my own black and white, I'll post up my results later once I get a decent scanner. For now, I want to show off my new member.

8484242906_212070388c_z.jpg

Came with:

24mm f/2.8
50mm f/1.4
50mm f/1.8
80-200mm F/4
188A Flash and Charger
Manual and Case

A real steal I think, if I pick up an OM-D I may grab an adapter as well. I wish Canon would produce a body similar to this, it's everything I want in a digital camera. This was shot with the 50mm F/1.8 II and EOS 1000D.

P.S. Does anyone know if the 188A would work on my Rebel?

Mar 13, 2012
Wow, great stuff! Well done indeed!
And how about developing yourself? Is it too much of a hassle?
I've recently bought a film camera with some rolls of Ilford HP5 and TriX to (hopefully) learn to take my time before pressing the shutter, but haven't developed any so far; I'm considering developing myself, but I've no idea how difficult/expensive/worthwhile it would be.
Any advice?
Cheers!
Daniel

Upvote 0
Daniel,

I haven't dove into it too far yet. For around 50$ you can get all the necessary equipment to develop the film plus another 25-30 for chemicals etc, really my biggest expense is a scanner for 35mm film. I can't find a reasonable means of scanning it just yet, let alone how to tweak it to look good before I send it to print.

I might do a blog / write up on my experiences with it and my successes and failures. I find most film photography websites like step by step instructions or any real examples unless its lomo stuff which im not a fan of at all.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
twcull said:
Greetings everyone!

I picked up a near mint condition Canon AE-1 Program for $100 a couple of days ago. Also started developing my own black and white, I'll post up my results later once I get a decent scanner. For now, I want to show off my new member.

8484242906_212070388c_z.jpg

Came with:

24mm f/2.8
50mm f/1.4
50mm f/1.8
80-200mm F/4
188A Flash and Charger
Manual and Case

A real steal I think, if I pick up an OM-D I may grab an adapter as well. I wish Canon would produce a body similar to this, it's everything I want in a digital camera. This was shot with the 50mm F/1.8 II and EOS 1000D.

P.S. Does anyone know if the 188A would work on my Rebel?

That's why I ordered a Fuji X100s. The Canon EOS-M chassis and AF speed are so crappppy :'(

Upvote 0
twcull said:
Daniel,

I haven't dove into it too far yet. For around 50$ you can get all the necessary equipment to develop the film plus another 25-30 for chemicals etc, really my biggest expense is a scanner for 35mm film. I can't find a reasonable means of scanning it just yet, let alone how to tweak it to look good before I send it to print.

I might do a blog / write up on my experiences with it and my successes and failures. I find most film photography websites like step by step instructions or any real examples unless its lomo stuff which im not a fan of at all.

If you are going to be developing your own film, I'd look into doing your own printing too. For me, that was the most rewarding part of the process. Used gear should be cheap. You just need the space.

Upvote 0